CPS 3000 maintenance and modifications

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
SSCBen

CPS 3000 maintenance and modifications

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:47 am

The CPS 3000 I recently bought on eBay has finally come in. I'm going to make a series of articles as I fix it up. Normally I don't buy on eBay because of the high price of water guns, but I grabbed a CPS 3000 for less than $60 when I saw it. The gun didn't have a strap or a backpack, but I don't care, so it wasn't a problem.

This might surprise some of you, but this is the first cylindrical CPS water gun I've opened and worked with. It's actually bringing back a lot of memories that not all of you might understand. Sometimes I'm reminded of when I found the Aqua Nexus back in 2002 and read essentially everything on the website. Back then I only joined the water gun community because I wanted a CPS 3000 or CPS 3200. It only took 6 years but I finally have the CPS 3000 I wanted, and for a good price! :)

I've tested it and it works but there's a crack on one of the check valves that leaks. I'm going to repair it with epoxy and make a guide for that. If that repair doesn't work, I'm going to cut the tubing and try something likely not considered earlier: replacing the check valve assembly with a new homemade version. That process should be rather straightforward, but getting the parts to fit correctly will be a little annoying.

Opening the water gun was annoying because I had one stripped screw head and some parts of the case itself were glued together. Aside from those two problems I'm going to make an article detailing how to disassemble the CPS 3000 in addition to the internals images. I'm also going to write an article about working with stripped screw heads. Sadly I drilled clear through the head into the water gun itself (I had kept drilling deeper and deeper until it finally opened thinking only the head would be removed), so I'm going to cut that part out with a dremel and redo the screw with putty epoxy if that's possible. Some other material would be fine too.

After the crack/leak is fixed I'm going to do some maintenance. First would be cleaning. I'm going to clean every part that should be cleaned. Then I'll lubricate the parts that need lubrication. I'll make an article about that procedure too.

I might reinforce some of the parts but I'm still debating that. I'm used to homemade water guns and this CPS 3000 seems... flimsy... in comparison to what I've made.

Important additions like a good strap and reservoir will happen after the gun itself is good. I'm still debating whether or not to try adding an built-in reservoir. I'm leaning towards the idea of a built in reservoir mainly because it'd make my CPS 3000 very different from every other one out there. But, the case wasn't designed to hold a reservoir so it probably won't happen unless I figure out a good solid way to include a reservoir.

Eventually I'm going to try a bunch of less necessary modifications. I'll definitely be converting the typhoon nozzle to something more useful like 2X. I may or may not Colossus the water gun. I might replace the pressure chamber for an easier power-up. I don't know yet.

As you can see I'm trying to milk this water gun for as many pages as possible. I don't buy from eBay often but when I do I make the best of it.

JLspacemarine

Re: CPS 3000 maintenance and modifications

Post by JLspacemarine » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:53 am

Wow, that's great projects to come!

When I saw the ebay auction of the same CPS 3000 I was very interested in buying it. It was indeed a great deal and no one was giving too much attention to it because of its lacking shoulder strap and backpack. Actually I lost interest in buying it because of other projects going on right now, but I hadn't thought the same CPS 3000 would finish in your hands for restoration. :p That's nice!
Armory: AS Hydroblitz (x2), MI FlashFlood, STE TripleShot, XP Backfire, XP 215, XP 105, XXP 175, Big Bottle BLaster(x2), SC Power Pak, SpeedLoader1000, SpeedLoader 1500, SpeedLoader Double-Cross 3000, CPS Splashzooka (x2), CPS 1200, CPS 1500,CPS 2100, CPS 2000 Mk2, CPS 1-3-5

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:01 pm

I was wondering why no one else bought it because I know there's a few people out there who don't care that it's missing parts. Some people would care if he said it leaked internally, but I don't think he knew it did because I didn't notice until I had the water gun open.

I should start the repair tonight after Drenchenator buys me some epoxy. He works at WalMart and has a discount, which is very helpful when I need something. :p

The plan is to sand down the area of the crack and around the crack so that it's rather rough. Then I'll fill in the crack with a minimal amount of epoxy. After letting that set and some more sanding I'm going to cover over that with putty epoxy. Hopefully that'll hold up. I think that's rather excessive actually so if it doesn't hold I'd be surprised.

A picture of the crack is attached.
Attachments
dscn0105.jpg

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:52 pm

The crack was pretty subtle, but we found it anyway. Ben had the gun opened and started pumping, and of course the crack became obvious at that point. Trying to locate it without any help like this would have been difficult.

I still have to buy the epoxy for Ben. The problem is that I can't buy it usually until the end of my shift, and all of my shifts this week end when the store closes. I'll have to go early one day.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Goldfish4209

Post by Goldfish4209 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:33 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Larami-CPS-3000-Sup ... dZViewItem

This is another CPS 3000 and the Buy It Now price is $50. Again, no backpack. (Note: The link to the iSoaker review is incorrect; it links to the CPS 2100 review.)

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:25 pm

I never realized until I saw the CPS 3000 disassembled how simple it really is. There was nothing that seemed out of place and nothing that seemed unneeded or excessive. It's a shame that Hasbro builds overly-complicated pieces of junk nowadays; guns like the CPS 3000 aren't that complicated or excessive or gimmicky--they were just great guns all around.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.