Optimized Xp 270 and CPS 1500/1700 - Opinions?

Threads about water gun modifications.
Herran

Optimized Xp 270 and CPS 1500/1700 - Opinions?

Post by Herran » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:40 am

I have these guns pretty much stock, and I'm looking for opinions on how to optimize their performance. If anyone has any experience/advice, please share it and help me out. I'd really appreciate it.

XP270

Post by XP270 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:23 pm

Well as an XP 270 expert I'd recomend either putting electrical tape on the tank, pump, and grip or spraypainting the XP 270 Black. Try slightly nozzle drilling all 2 or 3 guns. Spray paint them all since they look great painted!
"I'll be shotgunning XP 310's when I should be shotgunning beers" -Duxburian

Teh Moron

Post by Teh Moron » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:16 pm

Frankly, there's not much to learn to become an XP 270 expert..its about the same as any other air pressure gun. I'd recommend K-Modding the 1500/1700, or doing an integration with another spherical CPS gun. Ask Duxburian, he seems to know much about the integrations.

@XP 270. I'm pretty sure you're not the Webmaster. Please change your custom user rank. If I'm mistaken and you are a Webmaster, I'm sorry for the confusion.

lmm

Post by lmm » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:33 pm

Surely one could XPS a 270? The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 50 characters.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:27 pm

XPS is a bad modification that doesn't really help at all. In fact, it only makes your water gun less reliable because the balloons will pop in the chamber.

Also, the message limit is there for a reason and it's not very long. Don't copy the text there if you don't meet the length. Just write a few more words. It's not too much to ask for.

Aurum

Re: Optimized Xp 270 and CPS 1500/1700 - Opinions?

Post by Aurum » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:29 pm

I'm curious about what you could do with a XP270 as well... ive been using my cousins lately, although i found my old XP110 yesterday (the seals between the resevoir and the PC has basically corroded :o )

Im sure my cousin would'nt mind me modding his gun for him... although he's alreayd ahppy is can do at least 35 feet max range
Armoury includes: Homemade Copper Gun, "Requiem" (boasts a very large water-carrying capacity, large pressure chamber, fitted pressure gauge, and as of 2nd Sept 2011, fully working home-made pump)
I seem to literally only log in once a year!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:10 pm

There's no very worthwhile modifications for most XP and Max-D class of water guns. If you want a larger nozzle, nozzle drilling could help. If you want more water, some sort of reservoir expansion or backpack modification would help. The XP and Max-D classes do what they're intended to do well and you can't upgrade them much without redoing everything. In that case you might as well build an entire new water gun.

As far as pressure modifications like pressure relief valve disabling, they're often problematic and best avoided.

If your cousin is happy with his XP 270 I'd suggest leaving it alone. It's always easier to buy or build a better water gun than to upgrade one not designed for high performance.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:54 pm

There are always benefits in choosing to not modify a water gun. Most air pressure guns really weren't built for high pressure and power, so power mods put them in a risky situation. As I've known Ben has said in the past (and as I side note, I love this quote) "You can't turn a tricycle into a monster truck." Enough said.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

lmm

Post by lmm » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:04 am

I hate that quote, I think it's stopped people looking into what could be interesting mods. That said, there's always the possibility to break something, especially when experimenting (which you would necessarily be doing); don't mod anything you can't afford to lose.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:29 pm

I hate that quote, I think it's stopped people looking into what could be interesting mods.
I agree completely with you. The point of the quote was to stop people from doing unnecessary modifications and from expecting unreal results from these modifications. You're right that there are likely some really good mods out there that we haven't discovered yet or at least fully realized. PC replacement is one that should work very well for air pressure guns to improve chamber capacity. I'd also imagine that replacing most of the internals with stronger pipes would offer more protection when you disable the relief valve. There's a lot out there we haven't touched yet.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:44 pm

Drenchenator wrote: As I've known Ben has said in the past (and as I side note, I love this quote) "You can't turn a tricycle into a monster truck." Enough said.
Someday I'm going to buy one of those cargo trikes, put suspension on it, and add a 60 kilowatt motor just to prove him wrong. xD

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:56 pm

The tricycle comments only say that there are limitations to an existing design and its exceedingly difficult often to get around them. The small internal diameter of these class of water guns prevents any reasonable modifications from being made.

With that being said, PC replacement and even internal replacement after the pump should be viable modifications for XP and Max-D class water guns because get around the existing design by not using it. The problem is that few have done these modifications and few have reported about them. Usually the person who tries these things out is me. Not that I mind, but I wish some people were more creative. :p