Bleeding Unwanted Air?

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
adronl

Bleeding Unwanted Air?

Post by adronl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:45 am

So maybe someone has a good answer for a convenient way to do this that wont ruin PSI performance. How do you get rid of the unwanted air in a homemade water gun's pumping system other than opening the firing valve and draining the air manually while priming the pumps in the gun? Does anyone have a convenient way/part to make this convenient when filling the gun

JuchTurtles

Re: Bleeding Unwanted Air?

Post by JuchTurtles » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:25 pm

I usually just use the nozzle but none of my blasters are as high-powered as your's, adronl. I think you could make a type of pressure release valve, even though that would be like the XP BackFire crap. You'd have to restrict the flow and remove the air with something blocking the air/water from just flying out. Maybe open a ball valve partway or something.

Don't really know, unfortunately. Just rambling.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:12 pm

Yeah, normally the nozzle is the best way. But I suppose in the case of a blaster with a really massive nozzle, an auxiliary valve with a much smaller output might be better. I think a short upright tube just behind the firing valve, leading to a small ball valve and then like a 1/32 inch nozzle. Pressurise the gun, then open the bleed valve and let the air hiss out until it shoots water, then shut off. On a big blaster the water loss will be minimal in comparison.

You could even point the nozzle forward and have it double as an auxiliary stream, for if you want to hit someone who's too close for the main nozzle to be safe.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:46 pm

And you could fire both at the same time. Secret Strike!

It sounds like it would work, but it might be like a power washer especially if it's a tiny stream on a Super Cannon. It probably isn't a good idea to aim at people when you're using 60+ psi and you have a 1x stream. Maybe make it like a 10x or something (If you have a lot of water; 6 liters plus).
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:29 pm

Even 'light duty' pressure washers typically operate at well over a thousand psi. So I don't think the hundred probable maximum psi of a water weapon is going to be a problem.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier: