CPS 2500 trigger valve problem

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Dirtbag

CPS 2500 trigger valve problem

Post by Dirtbag » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:34 pm

At first hi to everybody, I just registered to the forums.

So, now here's my problem:
I got a CPS 2500 that worked really fine till today. After reading some other threads here the problem seems to be the trigger valve, because water comes out of the nozzle when pumping. Just as if it were a piston soaker.
I've already opened the soaker and tried to close the valve by pressing the metal rod with my fingers in, but no change at all.

So I guess that I'll have to open the trigger valve to fix the problem. But how to do that witout breaking it? Is there a certain method to get this thing open?

edit:
Here's the thread I referred to: http://forums.sscentral.org/t2998/3.html
Seems to be exactly my problem, thats why I have no photos attached.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:10 am

Welcome to the forums!

If water is shooting from the nozzle while pumping, the problem is not what is discussed in the linked thread. The linked thread is a repair for leaking from the back of the firing valve.

Since you tried closing the valve by closing it manually, the seal has fallen off like in the other recent repair thread here. Repair shouldn't be harder than reattaching the rubber with something like contact cement. At worst the rubber is damaged so that it can not be reattached, and you can buy a small rubber sheet to cut into the right shape. (part copy from the other recent thread here)

From what I know, the CPS 2500's firing valve opened by removing the screws from the outside. Easy to open and repair. ;)

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Dirtbag

Post by Dirtbag » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:45 am

Ben wrote: From what I know, the CPS 2500's firing valve opened by removing the screws from the outside. Easy to open and repair. ;)
That's what I thought. But when I had removed the screws I had to discover that the two halfs of the trigger valve are glued together. That's why I asked for a good way to open it without risking to break it or damaging the seal while cutting.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:59 am

Having never opened a CPS 2500 myself, I'm not too sure about the glue. I'm fairly sure that you can pry it open if the glue is not permanent. Wait for someone else's advice before you try that however.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:19 am

Welcome to SSCentral, and I hope you can pry open the valve if that's the problem. However, I do have a few questions first...

With the soaker open in front of you, does anything leak when you pump? If so, where does it leak?

If the answer is no, then you might just have a standard open trigger valve problem and pressing in the rod is the correct procedure. You said that you couldn't press it in, but I've got a somewhat more random question: does squeezing the trigger pull the valve out?

All in all, I'd consider opening the trigger valve to be a last-resort action.

Dirtbag

Post by Dirtbag » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:46 am

No, the soaker doesn't leak at all.
And yes, pulling the trigger moves the rod backwards. To go for sure that this isn't the problem I compared it to the (perfectly working) CPS 2500 of my bro. The rod in my soaker works the same way as his one. When pulling the trigger the spring is compressed and ,when fully compressed, the rocker that pulls the rod out of the valve moves.

I would be really glad about not having to open the trigger valve, but all signs point towards the problem being in there.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:28 pm

I'm assuming you've read the other current thread in the Repairs subforum: "Broken CPS 2000." It sounds like your soaker has pretty much the same problem (it's possible, but you can't be sure), and since JLSpacemarine provided some nice pictures, at least you can be prepared for that type of problem.

Well then, it looks like you might have to try prying the parts open after all.