Go Back   Super Soaker Central > Water guns > Water wars
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the SSC Forums! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and more. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Important note: The SSC forums are now in archive mode. WaterWar.net is the new online discussion board for the water gun hobby.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:40 AM   #16
mr_fan

UserID: 503

Nice, by the way, if you live in a woody area, try doing this:
2 trees (preferbly 2 that are over a trail, don't get new trees for this )
4, two by fours (long enough to go across the two trees but a little longer so nobody gets hurt)
1 REALY big bucket, with a lid (5 gal or so)
some thin rope,
duct tape,
and if the area is leafy, craft leafs,
and if the area is not leafy, random branches found around,
up in the trees, position the three two by fours like this (side ways view):

.0===========0

then get the bucket up there (don't fill it or it will be to heavy to get up there) :
________
|..........|...................0
|..........|
|..........|
|..........|
|______|
.0===========0

now fill it and shut the lid (duct tape to suport it if needed) and turn it sideways, and if you can, make it a little bit slanted like in this direction \ :

.0===::||==:||:0
now, get alot of duct tape and atach it to the lid and rope like this:

............................../0\
______________....../.....\
.|........||.....||..|:../.......\
.|........||.....||..|: /..........\
.|........||.....||..|:+............\
.0===::||==:||=0................\

now get the camofloge so nobody will see it and then get somone (or your self) to act as bait, (have the rope go all the way to your self) then when they are directley under, pull the rope to open the lid, here is another idea: get a colinder so the watter spreads out more, also, you might want to test the lid opening so that way you know for shure it works, and be shure to nail those two by fours down, this trap may take some time to make, but you can use it over, and over!

Last edited by mr_fan : 11-06-2005 at 09:45 AM.
mr_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #17
WaTer FigHt NoOb

UserID: 590

1. in my experience water mine are quite useless unless you can put them at key choke points on the field where the enemy has to get large amounts of troops through to fight or obtain an objective. When placed in these key spots they can on occasion be effective. The problem with MOST designs of booby traps is that they can't really get a person very wet. Most traps tend to misfire when set off. Most might get a drop or two on the intended victim but not a lot more.

2. traps aren't that hard to see and therefore not so hard to disarm or avoid. Because the workings of a booby trap are open to the outside then its not so hard to poke/cut/kick them out of working status.

=====> I only ever would use mines close to your own base where the enemy would be with in range of you and distracted with the assault.
WaTer FigHt NoOb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:09 AM   #18
joannaardway
Do not adjust your TV set

UserID: 549

A homemade booby trap could be seriously impressive.

Booby traps can be used for all sorts of things:
  • Hitting the enemy if they are moving quickly and not looking carefully (to flank you, retreating, etc.)
  • Slowing the enemy down to avoid setting them off.
  • Forcing you to think where the enemy will attack from.
With regards to de-fusing the weapons, I've got plans for a mine that is specifically designed to go off if you attempt to defuse it. (Difficult to empty afterwards, but hey)

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston
joannaardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:33 PM   #19
WaTer FigHt NoOb

how will these traps work? will it be one stream of water or will it be a spray?

-If the target is moving quickly then won't he most likely set it off and avoid the stream of water just by pure luck.

-When playing with rules such as one hit kill, or with the tissue taped onto the torso (once the tissue is gone then you are out) etc. Booby traps cannot track a moving target. To dish out a nice clean dose of water that will have a good effect, you have to have a continuous stream of water in which most of the stream hits the target
Old 04-18-2006, 08:12 PM   #20
Silence
Administrator

UserID: 576

WaTer FigHt NoOb is correct--traps are too impractical to be of any use. Blasters are the only effective means to win a water war !

Disadvantages of booby traps: they require (1) extra time, money, and effort; there is a (2) tremendous chance of being spotted and disassembled; there is a (3) possible use by opponents, depending on the type of trap; the (4) chance of being triggered is minimal; there is a probability that (5) the trap may be triggered accidentally, depending on the type of trap; and they provide (6) incredibly poor soakage.

This pretty much wraps it up for me .
Old 04-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #21
joannaardway

Blasters? What about wbls? Those are incredibly effective at 1HK

A good mine would do it's job with a riot blast type hit.

Even if a mine goes off, but misses the target, the enemy will be slowed as they increase caution.

And even if they do defuse it, then they've been delayed by that act.

Mines are designed to:
a) delay
b) guard other routes of attack
c) take out enemies

Assume that a mine is attached to a loud buzzer, so that the moment the enemy moves it or attempts to defuse, it emits a loud screech and goes off.

I think that would cover most of the intended functions.

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston
Old 04-19-2006, 11:35 PM   #22
WaTer FigHt NoOb

I Agree with you that water balloon would be good for one hit kills.
This is if the balloon hits the target. Balloons are easily dodged compared to the stream of a blaster. Balloons are in my mind are just as good for the psycological aspect of a conflict as they are for the water inside them.

Who increases caution at a homemade booby trap.
-Wow, its fun to kick them though. (bad joke)

-They really can't guard alternate routes unless it is a very well made trap and the enemy has to go through a small space that channels them so its all just right. Then is has to go off at the right time, in the right way.

They wouldn't necesarily have to disarm it just step over it.( unless the trap covers their whole path and couldn't get passed without setting it off).
But thats not likely...
Old 04-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #23
Silence
Administrator

Practically anything is good for 1HK, so it really depends on who lands the first hit (range and aim are the best qualities of weapons). I don't see why you need to waste a water balloon, which should be used like an on-contact grenade: throw it a groups of people for a ton of 1HKs.

Yay! More ammunition to use to poke fun at traps!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:26 PM   #24
WaTer FigHt NoOb

I agree with silent guy!!!!

Yay, lets poke the poorly made booby traps!!!
-viva le france!!!(just kidding)

Remember the Maine, to hell with france... I mean spain...<runs>
Old 04-26-2006, 11:11 AM   #25
joannaardway

Well, a wbl can launch more water, further and faster than merely throwing it - have you ever thrown a water balloon 100+ yards? I think it's unlikely.

Water balloon launchers are also good in wars where weapon capturing is allowed - they are unlikely to be able to recharge it, and they may well not have balloons that will fit well enough.

But on the topic of booby traps - if you've seen my 3xA pressure bottle, that could be charged, and have some sort of trip valve added - and linked into a hidden sprinkler - that might work.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:25 AM   #26
Spinner
Administrator

UserID: 77

It's probably best to keep such a device simple, since it may well not be used for the entire duration of a fight. A simple pressurised reservoir connected to a ball valve should work well enough. You could have the ball valve triggered by a knee high or chest high trip wire.

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:39 PM   #27
Silence
Administrator

WBLs can't have good accuracy at 300 feet. I can barely see that far on most battlefields!

As I have said, extravagant traps just fall into the hands of the enemy. That's a poor tradeoff for a small chance of soaking them.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:55 PM   #28
joannaardway

Things like my 3xA bottle are very hard to recharge well after using (so they are sort of one shot)... unless you have the right equipement.

Wbls can be accurate at huge ranges - Cerberus may (not sure yet) be effective up to 700 ft. Given that that consitutes a barrel 4 or more feet long with porting, accuracy is likely to be adquate to good.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #29
DX
A Shrouded Figure

UserID: 75

Accuracy depends on the artilleryman. If you use it a lot and get to know which angles and how much pressure yields different ranges, than one can be quite accurate. It just takes experience. With trees and wind being the variables, there are many places where effective range is cut simply because the balloon gets blocked early.

The RM came up with an effective type of trap, however, it must be set-off manually. It is also costly and complex, although would be utterly devastating if used in a paper situation [AKA if the enemy was all in one group, came within range, didn't see the hidden parts, and didn't see the hidden triggering person.]

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!
DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:08 PM   #30
WaTer FigHt NoOb

It is quite easy to avoid a water balloon that is coming from 300 feet away... No matter how accurate it is. Water balloons are best used before you open fire with your primary weapon.

Maybe you could use the water balloon launcher at close range for a more psycological effect. Personally i would not charge a loaded water balloon launcher.

-About the traps unless the enemy is funneled through a pipe that is four feet in diameter how could these traps seriously be effective??

What about the launcher with a barrel?? Barrels??