Super Soaker Max D 6000

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Jarathor

Super Soaker Max D 6000

Post by Jarathor » Thu May 25, 2006 11:22 pm

I have an old Max D 6000 that I recently got around to trying to fix, and I found that the elbow on the tube leading to the pressure gauge was missing a chunk. I have considered either sealing the tube, or buying a new elbow piece that will fit the original tubing. Which method would be the easiest, and if one is, how could I do it? I'll try to get pictures on the computer soon.

EDIT: Here are the deeplinks to the pictures of it:
http://www.maj.com/gallery/Jarathor/Misc/dsc01899.jpg
http://www.maj.com/gallery/Jarathor/Misc/dsc01896.jpg
http://www.maj.com/gallery/Jarathor/Misc/dsc01898.jpg
http://www.maj.com/gallery/Jarathor/Misc/dsc01900.jpg
(sorry for the blur on some of them)
Last edited by SSCBen on Sun May 28, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 26, 2006 12:21 am

Ooh, this is a tough one...and while I can think of several solutions, they'll all be pretty messy.

The first (and best) solution that comes to mind, and the only one that I'll post right now (the other solutions aren't too good), is using a small hose piece. Basically, take that clear hose stuff that people use to attach backpacks to soakers--make sure its inside diameter (ID) is the same as the broken L's outside diameter (OD)--and use a Jubilee clip on each end to clamp the hose onto the broken pieces. It'll work, but make sure there's enough space inside the soaker to do this. Good luck.

You should know that Hasbro will send replacements for broken soakers, but only the modern equivalent (that is, no replacement CPS soakers and the like)--so you might get a Triple Aggressor or something. Include these pictures in an email, and they'll ship you a replacement, and you get to keep the MD6K (broken or fixed ;) ).

Jarathor

Post by Jarathor » Fri May 26, 2006 1:53 am

:) Thanks for the quick reply. I did e-mail Hasbro, and I appreciate the help.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Fri May 26, 2006 2:05 am

Also, if you'd rather get another Max-D 6000, they're selling them as reissure soakers this year, so if you're interested, look in stores that carry Super Soaker. I'd prefer the free Triple Aggressor though ;)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri May 26, 2006 10:15 am

The easiest thing to do would be to fill in the hole with epoxy or something similar. You will lose the functionality of the pressure guage, but the pressure gauge was not essential, so you will keep the functionality of the water gun. I typically opt for simpler repairs that might remove features when they're likely to be more reliable in the future. Trying to reattach the elbow is possible if you put a straw in the center and epoxy it on, but it would be messy and probably leak. Clamping tubing on also might not work very well due to the shape of the break (which of course can be sanded down).

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 26, 2006 9:07 pm

@ Ben: Well, I had assumed that Jarathor had wanted to be able to use the pressure gauge. However, you are right--especially in repairs on historically unreliable parts (they wouldn't be broken otherwise :p ), keeping things simple is the best option. However, maybe some object held in with epoxy would be better suited to plugging up such a large hole.

Jarathor

Post by Jarathor » Sat May 27, 2006 9:07 pm

I have decided that I will epoxy the tube shut, because while the pressure gauge was kinda cool, it's not much use. I'm going to pick up some epoxy today at Menards and seal in a screw or nail... Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 28, 2006 2:51 am

Good luck with the repair...but make sure that the epoxy won't give way or drip down as it dries. I still suggest using something else as the plug, but once it's actually dry, the epoxy will be fine after all.

Jarathor

Post by Jarathor » Sun May 28, 2006 5:37 pm

Hey, My MAx-D 6000 is now fixed... Just in time for the skirmish today. Anyway, I wanted to post how my 6000 was, and say that... It works! The epoxy is doing fine, but there is still very minor leaking from the other seals, as a result of quickly putting it together. Other than that, this was the forst time in over 2 years that I had fires my Max D, so I am glad the repairs worked. Thanks for all of the suggestions, Ben and SilentGuy. :)

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 28, 2006 5:58 pm

Congratulations...hopefully it will be effective in the battle, though there's no reason it shouldn't be. Even with the pressure gauge, you should constantly be pumping--read Duxburian's "Tap/Pump" article if you don't know why. Basically, it's saying that you should pump whenever you can so you'll have plenty of pressure when you actually need to fight. Believe it or not, the best air pressure soakers can have as much (if not more) range than CPS soakers, as long as you keep the pressure up. Also, once CVFed, they can be as powerful as K-modded or colossused CPS soakers. Tap/pump is similar to burst/manual reload in FPSs.

You said that there are some leaky seals now...and although it might be due to hastily putting the soaker back together, you should make sure that's the cause. If you have time, open up the soaker and get the seals corrected before you fight--and it is better to fix the problem now, as using the soaker might make the problem worse. I don't see how sloppy reassembling can damage the seals, but it's always possible...just make sure you use common sense. If the problem's getting worse during the fight, stop using your MD6K, but it's probably fine otherwise.

Jarathor

Post by Jarathor » Mon May 29, 2006 3:45 pm

The gun worked fine in battle, although the spring on the nozzle selector wasn't working as well as it used to, but that wasn't a problem as long as I checked to make sure the nozzle was in the right place. I found out that the reason the seals were leaking was I didn't push in the main tank all of the way, and with pressure, small amounts of water would leak out from every pump. That can be easily fixed, merely by pusing it in, and I hope my 6000 lasts for many more years.

CAPTAIN Nate

Congrats!

Post by CAPTAIN Nate » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:52 pm

Congrats on it working well! :D I got a MaxD a couple of years ago. But sadly, It broke soon after. My guess is that I destroyed something on the inside. So, I got rid of it and bought a new SS.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:02 pm

CAPTAIN Nate, please don't bring up old topics. This topic has been inactive for about seven months now, and the problem was resolved.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:05 pm

I agree. If there's nothing more to be said and if further interest or replies from the original poster are unlikely, then there's no need to post. It's in the forum guidelines, I should think, although I'm not sure.

Check the dates of the posts and look in the public profile of Jarathor. It says his last activity was on 7/22/2006.