NEW Soaker Toy Line: Water Weapons

General water gun discussion.
ZOCCOZ

NEW Soaker Toy Line: Water Weapons

Post by ZOCCOZ » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:28 am

Water Weapons Soaker Line
Ever wondered what Lanard was doing the last few years after X-Stream. Well, I did, and now aparently I know. Other than doing re-paints of X-Streams, they now have a new Soaker toy line called Water Weapons(gun trade marked 2005, while package is trademarked 2006). They are Air Pressure soakers in Scifi Gunshape (who sais that soakers can't look like guns?). To fire one can choose to use the standard trigger, or use the crank mechanism for some pulse effect. Good thing thats optional. Performance whise they all seem to be medium - small XP typ soakers.

Personaly, I bought the soaker for estetics, since it looks prity sweet compared to what they sell now. But I had some pleasant suprises about the performance.
WAVEBLAST soaker Review(the blue yellow one) coming soon.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:33 am

Quick WAVEBLASTER Review

Shot time: 20 seconds (50 pumps)
Soakage: 21ml / 0.7X
Distance: 35 feet
Length: 18 inches
Build: Very robust
Pump: Track Mounted
Pumps: 20 normal, 50 optimal
Tank: 550 ml

Like I said, I first just bought the Blaster for the looks. But after shooting it, it reminded me extremly on the SS50 and SS100. Size of the SS50 and its output with the colour of the SS100. I actualy had fun with it playing around indoors shooting at random stuff. It sure was nostalgic in its feel and impression.

With 0.7X, its not a soaking machine. On the other hand, 20 seconds of shot time are prity good. Distance is average also with 35 feet. The laminar flow is exelent, which might explains why this soaker can reach 35 feet with just a resovior powered pressure.
Pump is very soldid, being trackmounted and very fast in pumping. The trigger is the main way to shoot, but one can use a cranking mechanism for a pulse effect if one wants to. Buts thats optional.

Again, I like the looks. It has a Scifi Gun look, and they even went with the effort to give it a worn out semi-metalic industrial paint job. The package has a catchy slogan with "Burst into Battle". On the pack of the package are the other models depicted: a Scifi-Pistol like soaker and a Scifi-machine gun typ soaker.
Since the WaveBlast is basicaly an oversized pistol, I would recomend it as such as in a sidearm or backup.

Personaly, I would not use it in a Water battle. Absolutly not, since I have alot of 90s CPS. But the reason why I like this Toy line is more psycological and not power whise. The way it shot and quick use, the paintjob and even the line itself was a childhood flashback. An unexpected pleasant suprise. Even the lineup modles are similar:
Thunderhead>Waveblast>Waterbolt
Super Soaker 100>Super Soaker 50>Super Soaker 30
While it is not a SS classic inspired soaker line, it sure felt like it. I think i will keep my eyes open for ithe other models for my collection. I bought this one at the Canadian Superstore for $14.99 CAN, but the other models where not there.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:23 pm

At least it looks like these soakers have some potential, and while this one might not be as powerful as some others, it sounds pretty good. Nice review, but how would you compare this to what's currently on the SS and BBT shelves?

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:27 pm

I would say the Waveblast is similar to the Defender and Argon. Exept that both of these have separate firing chambers, while the Waveblast does not. What that means is that the Defender and Argon require less pumps to get full pressure. Of Course small PCs don't add that much power(PCs tend to make a huge difference from 200+ml I noticed) and result in a short shot time, while the Waveblast gets his whole power from the resovior giving it an extended shot time.

Other past models that are similar to the Waveblast are the SC400 and Max-D5000. Exept that the 5000 loses pressure quicker do to the larger nozzle(again, 1X difference won't make a big...well difference). Basicaly the Waveblast can keep up with prity much any resovior powerd soaker/small PC soaker in the past and present. One downside of course is the 500ml tank, which is small. But then again, the Waveblast is not a large gun.

One thing to note, the trackmounted pump on the Waveblast is very impressive, and I am even willing to say that the pump might be even smoother and more comfortable than WW pumps, who already have raised the bar in pumps. Plus the Waveblast pump resembles the pump of a firearm, which is always a nice aestetic add.

Before I forget, the Waveblast has good and robust trigger.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:23 pm

Looks good then. However, I just noticed that crank-like handle on top of the soaker, but I can't read the explanation on the box. Exactly what (if anything) does this crank do? Interesting...

The other soakers in the line have the crank handle, too.

EDIT: Oh, wait a minute...

Isn't the "Thunderhead" (a different soaker in the line, and it also has the crank) the soaker that Belisaurius has supposedly been using in some of the more recent Waterbridge vs. RM battles? Duxburian said it used a crank instead of a conventional pump...

However, I can see traditional pumps on all three blasters and you've mentioned how good they are, so I'm really at a loss. Perhaps the handle can only be horizontal or vertical as in that one picture?
Last edited by Silence on Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:19 pm

The Thunderhead has a crank and a pump. What the crank does is pulse-fire little bursts of water. Rarely enough to get a kill, however, since the pulse shots contain so little water. I would put the Thunderhead on the XP 270, XP 310 level. Takes a long time to run out of water, although it does not stand up to heavier hitters as well as XP 270s and 310s.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Chewie

Post by Chewie » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:49 am

The crank looks like a nice way to cover an area without draining your whole tank. They look good too, it seems they realized your market expands when your guns don't look like they were designed by Dr. Seuss.

The waveblast looks like its the Master Chief's summertime weapon of choice.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:41 am

And also, exactly how long is the pump? Because the trigger is so far forward, I wouldn't expect too much length for the pump tube and rod. Of course, that doesn't make too big a difference...

I wonder how well this would perform with a PRVF. Since the construction is so solid, I'd imagine you could get quite a bit of power within safe and reasonable limits.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:41 am

SilentGuy wrote:Looks good then. However, I just noticed that crank-like handle on top of the soaker, but I can't read the explanation on the box. Exactly what (if anything) does this crank do? Interesting...

The other soakers in the line have the crank handle, too.

EDIT: Oh, wait a minute...

Isn't the "Thunderhead" (a different soaker in the line, and it also has the crank) the soaker that Belisaurius has supposedly been using in some of the more recent Waterbridge vs. RM battles? Duxburian said it used a crank instead of a conventional pump...

However, I can see traditional pumps on all three blasters and you've mentioned how good they are, so I'm really at a loss. Perhaps the handle can only be horizontal or vertical as in that one picture?

Unlike other crank soakers, Water Weapons uses the crank as a trigger alternative. It shoots about 3-4 times per rotation creating a puls fire effect. Personaly, I always use the standard trigger. Those soakers have such a long shot time that one can afford pressing the trigger for 1-2 seconds.
They look good too, it seems they realized your market expands when your guns don't look like they were designed by Dr. Seuss.

I never realy completly accepted the "We can't make soakers look like guns since...blablabla design...blablabla toy gun laws...". It doesn't take much to shape tanks and PCs like parts of a gun, and if you colour the blaster in bright colours(which they do already) then its within the realm of toy gun laws. Lanard being the only large soake company from Asia, doesn't seem to be intimidated by US toy laws and pushes the current bar in looks.

[edit]:
And also, exactly how long is the pump? Because the trigger is so far forward, I wouldn't expect too much length for the pump tube and rod. Of course, that doesn't make too big a difference...

Pump is about 4 inches in length. Not very long, but then again it pumps inceedibly fast and smooth. As a comparison, I get it pressrized as quickly as a Max-D5000.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:00 pm

Well, it seems like a cool gun to have, but then again it's like just another gimmick soaker in some ways. It's nice to see another company with the potential to build powerful soakers, but things like cranks seem to appeal to a..."different"...audience again. However, as you said, that's fairly fast pressurizing for a medium-small PR reservoir...

Looking back at posts #1-2, I see that you've mentioned the cranking mechanism...I guess I just didn't see it earlier. Sorry about that.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:41 pm

It is in many ways a gimmick blaster. But the posetive thing is, that the gimmick is just optional. Its nice to see that they made the crank adjustible to be flatened out if you don't plan to use it. Like I said, I always just use the standard old gun trigger and leave the crank trigger-alone.