Tiger Shark oddity - partial trigger pull is BETTER than full.

General water gun discussion.
cantab

Tiger Shark oddity - partial trigger pull is BETTER than full.

Post by cantab » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:55 pm

So I've had my Tiger Shark for a few weeks now, and I'd found the big nozzle just pathetic, barely shooting 5m.

I took it out to test again today, and noticed that for some reason, the first and last (in time) drops were going much further.

Further trying things I realised that if the trigger is pulled partly the range and power are drastically improved! To the point that it matches or exceeds that of the mid-size nozzle, as isoaker found. Yet when the trigger is pulled fully, it dribbles. There seems to be a sort of sweet spot where it works best.

I'm not finding any noticeable difference with the smaller nozzles, though there might be a little.

This seems distinctly unusual. I'm wondering what could cause it and whether it's a design flaw or a fault in my gun.

The big nozzle's been underperforming since I first got the gun, so it's not because of the swim it took.

Silence

Re: Tiger Shark oddity - partial trigger pull is BETTER than full.

Post by Silence » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:34 pm

So is there more flow or less flow when the trigger's only pressed half way? Either less flow is better on that nozzle (which is unlikely - that would only be the case if the flow was causing stream turbulence, and even then the difference would be minimal), or somehow there's more flow with the valve halfway open. Weird.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:47 pm

It definitely looks like there must be more flow with the half-pulled trigger. I haven't measured output, but shot time from a full PC is less with the half pull.

I wonder if maybe it's a pull-valve type (the sort pre Max-D super soakers used), and when pulled fully, it actually pulls the disc to a position where it obstructs the OTHER entrance to the valve (ie if it seals closed against the outlet, then it's obstructing the inlet).

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:07 pm

BBT only uses ball valves.

The most likely explanation is that the issue is a manufacturing misplacement. Once you pull the trigger all the way, it actually rotates the valve beyond the "sweet spot" where the valve is fully open. In this case, the trigger would be more likely leak when no pressure on the trigger is applied since the valve would be closer to opening, but the Tiger Shark's trigger spring seems to be considerably more reliable than some others. (*cough* Orca) However, if your Tiger Shark's trigger ever starts leaking, then this is probably the issue.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:50 pm

Nice finding. I bet you could modify the trigger system so that it pulls back only the optimum amount. The easiest way you could do that would be to put some sort of stopper behind the trigger. A correctly sized stopped should be perfect.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:53 pm

Ah right, yeah that makes more sense.
I do suspect the gun is leaking, but I'm not sure - it might just be me getting the outside wet when I fill it. It's not out of the nozzle anyway.
How would I go about fixing this? I suppose one option is just to put something on the outside to stop the trigger being pulled beyond the optimum, but that's a hackish workaround.

Also, if both BBT and Hasbro use ball valves, why do they feel so different? Hasbro's are very 'clicky' and can't be half-open at all, whereas BBT's are smooth.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:04 pm

Hasbro uses a more complicated system that makes the valve snap open to the right position. Check out these Arctic Blast internal photos to see that system.

BBT uses a simpler system that just pulls on a lever on a ball valve.

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:08 pm

My Lightning is experiencing similar problems, except without the leaking. When I do my monthly check-up routine on all my guns, I will be very interested to try this. Thanks.
I think that maybe I should start developing a repair too.

Storm,
Armoury:CPS 2500, CPS 1700, 2xCPS 2100, SC PowerPack,
Triple Agressor, HydraPack, Lightning, APH x3, Pneumatic Grenade Launcher, Triple Shot, Liquidator, Arctic Blast
'Wherever there' s a Dark Age, There are Dark Apostles'
Play Magic: the Gathering

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:24 pm

It's likely that the trigger mechanism opens the valve too much, pulling the handle so much that the ball partially closes. I have to second Ben's idea; it seems to be the easiest to do. Just make it so that it pulls the lever back to the right spot instead of before or after it. Open up the gun and pull the trigger to the right spot. This may just mean charging and shooting the gun while it's still open, but at least you'll be able to find out where the spot is. Then align objects to obstruct the lever's movement past the spot. I'd recommend gluing a nice, solid piece of wood right at the spot. Then, presto! No more over-pulling!
Last edited by Drenchenator on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:02 am

However it only happens on the largest nozzle setting, that is why I have never bothered to open it up before. I simply thought that the big nozle was underpowered, like in most BBT guns. I will try and open it up today and have a look.

Storm,
Armoury:CPS 2500, CPS 1700, 2xCPS 2100, SC PowerPack,
Triple Agressor, HydraPack, Lightning, APH x3, Pneumatic Grenade Launcher, Triple Shot, Liquidator, Arctic Blast
'Wherever there' s a Dark Age, There are Dark Apostles'
Play Magic: the Gathering