new-just saying hi

General water gun discussion.
Dee

new-just saying hi

Post by Dee » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:04 pm

Hi,
I am new to this, and just wanted to say hi. I am a mom with a son who loves
water guns. He has a 1998 super charger, but our neighbor broke his QFD.
So, I have been checking out this site to find some answers on replacing, or making a new one. Wish me luck, as this is his favorite gun.

hydroblitz

Post by hydroblitz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:01 pm

Wow! I'm surprised! I haven't been here for long, but I think you are our first mom! Congrats! And welcome to the forums!
Soak On!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:14 pm

I think there might have been several moms around asking for help before. (though I wouldn't remember)

Anyways, I might be the first to actually have started creating special hose nozzles. In another thread, I threw down some ideas for a custom hose system that not only shoots farther than traditional garden hose nozzles, but also lets you fill at the same time. At Home Depot, I found a piece that just happened to fit onto the SC nozzle.

Yes, unless you want to search all over the place for a QFD, you'll have to do some work buying PVC and assembling stuff, drilling, etc. (and may have to glue stuff together unless you're using a simpler configuration) there are several ways to approach this, depending on what you need, how much you're willing to spend, etc. Yes, you can simple buy just enough for a QFD, but it just so happens that you can, in almost all cases, use the same device to shoot, fill, etc.

For a simplified nozzle, I got a hose adapter to 3/4" male thread (which also apparently has a 1/2" female thread inside), then got a 3/4 threaded PVC ball valve (you can get brass if you want, which is more durable but costs more), then a 3/4" male plug goes into the other end of the valve. The 3/4" plug happens to be shaped to fit the SC nozzles, so after that, you'll have to drill this piece. I'd recommend a no larger than about 1/4" to 3/8" hole in the very center, and it should be at least 1/8", otherwise it's too weak. To fill up, you'll have to stick the nozzle in and open the valve. Use teflon tape to secure the threads of course.

I haven't finished mine, and haven't tested at all yet. You may need a larger or smaller nozzle, which may compromise it's ability to shoot. (however, it should always be able to fill non-SC guns)

The other method is more complicated, so I'll only describe it. You use 2 ball valves and a T joint, so one valve controls shooting through a nozzle, while the other valve directs to the 3/4" plug. (charger and filler)
Last edited by C-A_99 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dee

thanks

Post by Dee » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:41 pm

Hey,
Thanks for the welcome and the ideas for a QFD for the super charger. It is greatly appreciated! :)

Dee