Using Polypropolene for Homemades

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
StormGlorious

Using Polypropolene for Homemades

Post by StormGlorious » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:43 am

I have just completed my second homemade that has been made out of polypropolene.
have you guys ever considered this as a more viable method of making homemades: It has they advatage of actually being unscrewable so you can reconfigure your designs on the go. And you don't have to wait for glue to dry overnight.

I live in Australia and maybe America doesn't have Polypropolene available locally but i think that you guys should check it out.
:cool:

isoaker_com

Re: Using Polypropolene for Homemades

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:27 pm

I presume you mean polypropylene. In terms of using it, I'm not completely certain, but I believe in general, polypropylene tubing does not has as high a pressure rating as PVC does. The fact that it can be tightened and sealed without need for some form of adhesive suggests lower pressure limits as well at the joints. For CPS/elastic pressure systems, polypropylene might be a good option, but not for air pressure systems that can often need higher pressures. As for availability in North America, I'm not sure, but I'd presume it should be available for those looking for it.

B)
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:59 pm

I believe polypropylene is the material used in commercial water guns. So provided you're using an appropriate thickness and strong fittings, without raising the pressure too much, there should be no problem.

However, it may be more expensive than PVC...I'll have to check. I do know it's somewhat harder to cut and carve. And you have to use standard cements or glues like epoxy rather than solvent welding like you can with PVC (neither method is superior...just pointing it out).

McMaster-Carr sells it, of course, but I'm not sure if it's commonly found elsewhere. It's used a lot in manufacturing and in commercial products since you can mold it and it's strong.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:56 am

I'm not sure if polypropylene is what's used in commercial water guns. Perhaps someone like Big Bee could come in verify. Polypropylene would make sense though.

Whatever works for you is the best option. PVC works for most people because it is cheap and readily available.

You can make threaded (unscrewable) things with PVC, but you usually need to use the right fittings unless you get pipe nipple. Pretty much every type of pipe is available in a threaded version or can have threaded fittings.

The disadvantage to using threaded fittings is lower pressure ratings, the possibility of leaks, and if you use a male adapter, the threads themselves are weaker than the pipe is, so it can sheer off easier. Of course, the pressure ratings are typically higher than what you need anyway and leaks are avoided with pipe thread tape.

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:59 am

Sounds good. What sort of homemade is it?

Personally, I've never really found larger sized polypropylene so I've always used PVC. However I do find that polyprop fittings themselves are a much cheaper alternative to brass, and the smaller sizes are still rated to 16 bar (around 232 psi).

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:57 am

That's interesting. Perhaps polypropylene would make a good water gun construction material for those with access to it.

Could you get some pictures of your gun StormGlorious? It would be neat to see this new material in action.

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:37 am

Sure I actually have already taken them for you guys to see, However I'm going out pretty soon. I hope to have the pics uploaded by the weekend.

Sbell-It is an air pressure gun, very similar to your own, however it only has one P/C.
The single chamber gives it increased battle practicality, faster pressurisation.
In Thunder Wars ,shot time is not nesascarry. Sorry about spelling.

Would you guys like pictures of actual shots too?

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:45 pm

Just pictures of the water gun will do. I'm generally not into stream pictures, but other people might find them interesting.

Thanks for bringing polypropylene to our attention! If it turns out well you could probably add a few lines of text and information about where to buy it. Polypropylene still seems relatively alien to me, although I've heard good things about it.

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:45 am

I think stream pictures would be neat. Personally though, I only like ones taken from just behind the nozzle, showing the full path of the stream as if you were shooting it. I think that ones taken from the side of the stream aren't as good. Just my thoughts.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your gun, StormGlorious. Like SilentGuy, I'm not familiar with polypropylene pipe itself and am interested to see how it turns out in a homemade.

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:42 pm

The pressure chamber is made from PVC pipe.
And also this gun has been filled at mains pressure so the chamber can take well over 100 PSI