Home made or Mod?

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
cheesemp

Post by cheesemp » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:31 am

I'm trying to decide if a mod or home made will suit me best. I know thats a hard question to answer but I hope with some details it will be at least possible to point me in a direction.

At a camp I help out in water fights often occur - one problem is one guy has one of the large backpack type super soakers and always wins. I want to even up the fight but keep my costs down as much as possible.

Is it cheaper to buy a half decent super soaker then mod it or build a home made. I've no problems with doing either of these. I own or can borrow most tools so thats not an issue.

Basically what I asking is do I get better return on my money by mod or home made?

Also anyone know anywhere in the Salisbury, UK area that I can get a decent super soaker (not one of the rubbish new ones) or PVC piping (I doubt a standard do-it-yourself store has this sort of stuff but I might be wrong)?

Thanks guys and wish me luck!

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:47 am

Hi and welcome to Super Soaker Central! Nice to have you with us.

From my experience in the UK, you'd be better off modifying, since the homemade parts seem to be very scarce over here. I've tried various places, but I can't find any with a large enough diameter.

As for finding a decent Super Soaker...well, I can help you with that. A CPS 2100 ought to fit your needs modding-wise. Tough, powerful, etc...just ask Duxburian or Nibordude. ;)
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

cheesemp

Post by cheesemp » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:07 pm

Ok. Shame - home made sounded fun. Never mind modding it is then (I also get the advantage of catching people unaware who don't know about modding&#33 ;)

Leprechaun71588

Post by Leprechaun71588 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:24 pm

Yeah, I think if you want to be as inexpensive as possible, then modding would definitely be the way to go.

If you're anything like me, then making a homemade gun will cost a lot more than how it looks at the beginning.
AIM: Leprechaun71588
Yahoo: Leprechaun71588

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:45 pm

The first homemade gun you ever make will be darn expensive, but each homemade after the first gets cheaper. You pickup experience and extra/leftover parts with each successive homemade that can help keep costs down.

I also would not use my current APH in a war because there are a few things that need to be pioneered for them to be practical in hardcore wars. Better seals need to be found, as homemade seals can not hold enough pressure to get the maximum range and shot time out of each shot. They also leak considerably. In addition, [AP] homemade streams tend to need better lamination for the best range. My 21K outranges my APH by more than 20 ft. because of these things.

Modding a gun still has some advantages over homemades like the fact that a modded gun can look identical to a stock one. You keep the use of a normal trigger and have to buy very few items for mods. However, you can't specify yourself what kind of stats your gun will have like you can in a homemade.

Since you are in the UK, modding would be the way to go due to lack of widely available pvc pipe of 2" ID or more.

When possible, modding and making homemades is the best way to go! B)
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:12 pm

I agree with Duxburian. Sorry to all of you homemade buffs, but I really doubt a homemade can hold its own in a war, or at least one of the wars we have. Believe me, if you have a k-modded gun with a back up you can last quite a long time. Plus the intimidation factor comes into play with modded guns.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Leprechaun71588

Post by Leprechaun71588 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:27 am

This is probably a topic the should be discussed somewhere else but....meh, what the Hasbro HQ...

I think that would really depend on the home made gun and the store bought gun that are being compared. I just like using homemade guns because they're fun to build and different from what everyone else has. It also depends on what you're looking for in a gun...range, soakage, water capacity...
AIM: Leprechaun71588
Yahoo: Leprechaun71588

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:18 am

I would have to disagree. In my opinion, homemade water guns are excellent in wars. I have used one of Ben/Doom's APHs in a war (I do live close to him) and it was easily able to soak my opponents. Also, he is quite modest about the range that his guns shoot.

This is the only beginning of the "homemade age". I imagine that some genius ideas would come up and make homemades many times more powerful and easier to use in the future.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:46 am

Don't get me wrong, I believe strongly that homemades will exert a huge influence in the future. However, we need stronger pumps/better seals, widely and cheaply available or easy to make. We also need a way to keep straws in to laminate the stream. I wouldn't be able to pull off using my current homemade in a war [1HK and very hardcore] the way the pump seal is now.

That should be a central focus if homemades are to rule the [1HK] battlefield.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

cheesemp

Post by cheesemp » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:49 pm

Annoying you can't get the parts in the UK. I'd have loved to have had a go.

I might keep my eye open and see if I can see any other items which might allow me to build a home made - might be lucky and have a brain wave (like reinforcing pipes some how etc). I've found sometimes materials for this sort of thing can turn up when you least expect it.

Wish me luck.