Another New Site.

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Thu May 20, 2004 11:14 pm

Ok, my old site has been deleted (and yes, it was me who deleted it) and I'm thinking of making another one about music (guitars, drums, etc.). I want to include forums on this site......good ones........so I looked at examples of other site's forums. One had a link to something called phpBB (Neo & Doom most likely already know this...I can be such a inexperienced user). It claims it offers free service and seems almost identical to this site's forum system. Here's the link to the site:
phpBB. What I'm asking is, is that they say there's a new version, and it seems like youy must have the old version first. My question is, what do I have to download, and where is it on this site? I'm having trouble finding the download for it.
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri May 21, 2004 9:55 am

We don't use phpBB, we use Invision Power Board. To use phpBB (or IPB), you have to have a host that has the stuff to use it, in this case PHP and MySQL.

http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php

You can download it there if you want to. You will not be able to get this to work on any normal host. You will need a host with PHP and MySQL. Get some more experience with site dev before doing so.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Fri May 21, 2004 11:46 am

It's the same concept as Invision, isn't it?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 23, 2004 10:02 pm

Yes, but it's a completely different software. It has features Invision doesn't, and Invision has features phpBB doesn't. Invision is faster and has more features so that's why I choose it for SSC.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Mon May 24, 2004 11:36 pm

Ok now that the forum problem is set aside, what about free FTP programs? What's the best?