Help layering/attaching LRT, and a possible pump issue.

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Naga

Help layering/attaching LRT, and a possible pump issue.

Post by Naga » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:16 pm

Hi,

I'm having trouble layering LRT, as the topic title suggests. I have 1/2"IDx3/4"OD tubing and 3/4"IDx1"OD tubing. I manage to get the former inside of the latter just fine (1' length for both of them,) however, once I get them around the 5/8" pipe barb and tighten the band clamp on them, it just slips itself right off! I tried using only the 1/2"ID tubing by itself and it doesn't slip off when I tighten it, but the water gun isn't too powerful with just it, so I really need to know why it slips off when I use both layers and how to stop it from doing this.

Second question: My homemade's pump worked just fine yesterday (the day I finsihed it.) However, today, it just leaks all over the place. I've removed it and inspected it for damage and have seen none. I'm using a 1/2" wooden dowel rod with a #8 O-ring inside a 1/2" piece of PVC. Any ideas what might've gone wrong between last night and today? Perhaps the pump rod must soak in water for a while before it will seal properly?

Thanks for any help!

Silence

Re: Help layering/attaching LRT, and a possible pump issue.

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:21 am

Welcome to the forums, Naga! :)

With two layers of LRT, the water gun stores much greater pressure. That pressure may be enough to slip the bladder off the barb. Ben has had some experience with high-strength barbs, using them to keep the hoses on SuperCAP. However, there's a chance overtightening could cut the LRT. I would wait until Ben posts. :cool:

Soaking the wood in water will make it swell, possibly improving the seal. Sadly, I don't know why it suddenly stopped sealing.

Killer 7

Post by Killer 7 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:23 am

Whenever I try to clamp on the tubing I always wrap the place to be clamped in a layer or two of duct tape. Mine have never slid off. Plus you can tighten the clamp usually without fear of cutting into the LRT. But the downside is that the LRT gets little bits of old duct tape stuck to it if you ever decide to remove it.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:36 pm

Good solution - duct tape doesn't stretch much and you don't need any more strength than it provides. I wouldn't worry about tape sticking to the rubber - latex tubing is cheap and you may need to replace the bladder occasionally as the rubber wears out anyway.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:44 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central!

I've never had problems with the tubing slipping off the barb. In fact, I've only had trouble getting the tubing on and off the barb.

How long is the tubing barb? If it is less than half an inch long, buy a longer one. Is it greasy or slippery? If so, wash it off with grease breaking soap. How far are you pushing it on? I push the tubing on all or nearly all the way.

If you want to tighten the clamp on more without cutting the tube, tapes help but they can get messy. Another solution is tubing clamps that don't cut into the tubing. McMaster-Carr sells "Type 430 Stainless Steel Nonperforated Worm-Drive Hose and Tube Clamps", a fancy way to say tubing clamps that don't cut into tubing.

As for the pump, I can't tell what's wrong from your description. Maybe #8 O-rings are too small. I don't know their dimensions and couldn't find them in Google, so if you could post them it might help.

As always, pictures help a lot more than just words, so get some pictures of the problem if you think it would help. ;)