Constant air pressure homemade water gun

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
SSCBen

Constant air pressure homemade water gun

Post by SSCBen » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:22 pm

I am postponing the construction of the updated water cannon I have outlined in the "Ben's next homemade water gun" thread in favor of something I believe is poorly understood and poorly accepted - Constant air pressure.

There are those who insist that Constant air pressure is expensive, hard to make, impractical, and other assorted fluff, but as far as I am concerned, Constant air pressure is simply the most underrated design there is. Similar to regular air pressure design, it's potential is only limited by the limits of the pipe used and air compressor used, unlike rubber CPS which requires an inordinate amount of rubber layering to obtain high power. Of course, Constant air pressure has the same limitations of regular air pressure in that it can not be fired upside-down, but that can be fixed with a piston or avoided with a backpack.

I'm looking to save some money on this design given that I am running out. Instead of the more expensive regulator I planned to get, I am settling on a cheaper but still expensive one. It won't get half the flow of the other one, but I don't figure I'll need it given my new design feature. Instead of fully enabling the flow, I plan on bypassing the flow with a ball valve. This will allow a full force riot-blast without spending $30 extra.

As I outlined months ago, this water gun will be mounted on a frame backpack. There will be two air chambers and one water chamber. This will allow for several shots of one to two gallons without having to recharge the air chambers. On a smaller nozzle, shot time should be over 10 minutes. On a larger nozzle, range should be at least 55 feet.

Just a short note I suppose... I'll keep you all informed.