i think i got a really good deal off my friend

General water gun discussion.
esisthebest

i think i got a really good deal off my friend

Post by esisthebest » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:34 am

my friend has an xp270 and 2 max-d 6000s he also has a cps 2500 and a cheap cvs one but its still awsome cause i can buy all of them for a total of $25!!!! can you believe it hes selling me them for $5 each!!! is this a good deal? cause i have a broken cps 1-3-5 and i wanted to replace it but this is awsome. the only thing is i want to upgrade these guns/mod them and i dont know if your mods that you have posted will work for these or not. i also want to convert one of the guns at least into a nerf gun because on nerf hq it said that super soakers can make a nerf sniper rifle if you convert it. there are directions but im not sure if the way it says will work for any of these. i also want my guns that are not for nerf to be really powerful. will the valve freezing do anything or any of the mods do anything for these guns that i am acquiring?

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:26 pm

Go for it - the CPS 2500 alone is worth more than that.

If you want a nerf gun, homemade it or upgrade a nerfgun - don't turn a super soaker into a nerf gun - those ones are either no use for a nerf gun, or too valuable.

In fact, I would say that converting any super soaker isn't wise. Super soakers are designed to shoot water, not darts.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:39 pm

As joannaardway said, get the soakers--this is an incredible deal. I don't know if the XP 270 or the CVS soaker are worth $5, but if the entire thing's a package deal, then just buy them all.

It is entirely possible to turn a soaker into a Nerf sniper rifle (people have done so before)--but you won't like the results. They get decent range (a couple hundred feet), but they are incredibly inefficient--do you really want to do a ton of pumping just to get a few shots (only one if you use an air pressure soaker)? No. If you're going to have an air pressure Nerf sniper rifle, do it the right way and just build one--it's just a standard APH design, but with no reservoir, a special fitting for the Nerf ammunition, and a very large pump diameter (the 1/2" soaker pump diameter makes soaker Nerf guns inefficient).

esisthebest

Post by esisthebest » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:19 am

thanks but if you could please send me a link with how to make an aph sniper nerf that would be great cause i cant find any

es

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:11 am

This is the wrong forum, but if I have time (tomorrow, maybe?) I'll do a Paint diagram. Just take the APH design at SSC (not the Forums, but at the main site), and give it a 3/4" or even a 1" pump. You can also use a valve that opens faster than a ball valve.

esisthebest

Post by esisthebest » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:57 pm

is this nerf gun you are suggesting more powerful than a regular nerf?

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:46 am

is this nerf gun you are suggesting more powerful than a regular nerf?
The design that SilentGuy suggested would be more powerful than a regular Nerf gun only because regular Nerf guns are rather low powered. This design could easily get a 100 foot range at least. You can greatly improve the range by using a solenoid sprinkler valve as your firing valve too. They open almost instantly, which greatly improves range.

I would definitely not recommend modifying a Super Soaker to become a Nerf gun. The only reason that Super Soakers make good Nerf guns is because the pressure chambers are usually much larger than those in Nerf guns. I also would not recommend it because you would have to pump the gun many times before you could shoot it.

If you really want a "Nerf sniper rifle", try to make a copy of my bolt action homemade. It has a semi-automatic homemade valve of my design and is capable shooting a Nerf dart up to 250 feet. And because it is bolt action it has an at least decent rate of fire.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:32 am

Thanks, Drenchenator...I was waiting for a true Nerfer to respond. I have seen your design, and I was actually looking for it to post a link to. Also, not only does the solenoid improve range by opening more quickly, you waste less air and pressure because you can close it almost immediately after firing. However, I have heard that a CPS 2000 modified to shoot Nerf ammunition (and with the standard pull-back valve, which is probably faster than a ball valve, but slower than a solenoid) shot 200 feet, which isn't bad. I don't know much about Nerf, but there is some tech over at NerfHQ and at Nerfhaven that is basically the equivalent of SSC's, but designed for Nerfing; there's no reason to even try asking about it here, unless you want friendlier help.

esisthebest

Post by esisthebest » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:17 am

thanks guys your help is much appreciated, I just have one problem i cant get access to power saws and wood and pvc that could be modified at a moments notice. my dad doesnt live with me so i cant make anything with his help. thats why i thought it would be easier to saw off the front just like this http://www.yakman.i8.com/super%20soaker.htm this seemed pretty easy but do you think it would be easy and cheap to build the sniper rifle you guys have suggested or is this one that i have linked you to a bad choice

plus that seems way too complicated your design cause i dont have any engineering experience none at all even modding any type of gun. I would really need a lot of help and i dont know where i could get it in my town. cause theres not any people i know of with nerfs or soakers that they use and no modders where i live

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:43 pm

You want to try a nerf forum, or spudtech for that matter.

I build pneumatic cannons that will blow AA batteries through 1" thick fences - way more power than you will need. That particular cannon took me 5-10 minutes to build.

I suppose a soaker has a pump and air tank ready built in. However, I have trouble exceeding 15 psi with a soaker pump - they aren't very air tight.

It should be very easy to assemble a powerful nerf sniper (I am reluctant to use the word rifle, as it isn't actually rifled) from basic plastic pipe.

Assuming by you quoting prices in $, I guess you live in the US. Most pipe over there is quite cheap and is probably pressure rated (but nonetheless check)

I would go homemade if I were you.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston