New APH finished-Pics!

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
DX

Post by DX » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:02 am

My 2nd APH is done, and was tested just now. Unfortunately it is night on the East Coast, so I couldn't get any range stats being that I couldn't see much in the dark.

It is an original design and very compact for a homemade, just a little larger than a CPS 1500. This one has a tracked pump like my first and all future homemades.
I also used a metal ball valve which works almost better than some triggers!

This APH actually feels and works like a normal gun, with the exception of the water that spills from the pump; all homemade pumps have that to some degree.

Here's the pics: ***Pics moved to most recent post***
Last edited by DX on Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:49 pm

Very nice! One question though, did you use primer at all? That is the cleanest looking homemade I have seen.

As iSoaker said, statistics and shots of it in action would be appreciated. ;)

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:08 am

Well, I forgot to get stream shots, but I did get some stats:

On 1/4, the effective range was 45-49ft, couldn't find the last drop [grass lawn]. It was less than 55ft, though, because no drops reached the patio which is 55ft from where I shoot for measurements.

Shot time was ~3 secs on 1/4, ~4 secs on 5/32, and ~1 sec on 3/8. The riot blast isn't all that good because the pc is small. But it only takes 8-10 pumps to fill the pc, 17 if you want more pressure and therefore more range.

You get 4-5 shots from the reservoir, which is pretty good seeing as the gun is so small overall and some water is wasted from the pump.

Overall, this homemade is just like having a manufactured gun only with a leaky pump and unconventional pump handle. ;)

And I didn't use any Primer, never have for homemades and never have needed to. Skipping straight to the pvc cement works fine.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:39 am

I would always use primer! Primer is essential - it cleans the PVC and makes the cement stick better. You should always use primer is all of your PVC projects.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:16 am

His APH has no leaks that I know of. It wouldn't hurt to use primer, but it seems to me it is not needed. The only thing we usually use primer for is WBL's. This, of course is because the pressure is a lot higher.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:53 pm

Here are some stream shot images of the APH:

APH shooting on 5/32"

APH shooting on 1/4"

APH shooting on 3/8"

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:29 am

I would use primer in any PVC project that involves any pressure, regardless of if the pressure is high or low. Personally, I don't care if it has purple marks on it because I know that it has a much better bond and can handle much more pressure. Plus, it does not take much longer to apply the primer. I would say that primer is essential and completely necessary.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:57 am

Yet none of my homemades have actually needed any primer. WBLs, yes, primer is necessary. But for homemades, it hasn't made any difference. The pressure doesn't get that high, even with a large pc.

This is how I do it and it works, so to each his own. ;)

pigtailsboy

Post by pigtailsboy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:36 am

The gun pics don't show up. Are they being hosted any more?

Another thing, why do I have to use a "hundred characters"; it's annoying.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:15 am

Oh, the pics are still hosted, but the old "sscentral.org/soakermedia" address is dead, so anything using that link won't show up. Changing it now...

Since those pics, I've made a few changes, mainly to the pump and pump handle.

pigtailsboy

Post by pigtailsboy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:36 am

Since you don't have enough room in your private mail I'll just do it here and delete it later if I remember.

I'm impressed that your still up...

though not really.

I've build a homemade based mostly off the air pressure homemade instructions found linked on the front page. It went well mostly but failed when it came to the PC's. I didn't get them together fast enough and now leak with FORCE. I've coated them with pvc concrete and one of the PC's is stable. The other on the other hand isn't in a near simliar condition. I've scraped away the glue on that one and filled the leaking bit with epoxy and then slapped on more concrete; I also added some electrical tape to slow the leak if it went off a third time.

My only known recorse is to either coat it with more cement and tape it to hell or remove the PC's and start anew. I've got enough piping on both sides of the T joints to add two new PC's in their place; but I was hoping to have it ready for tomorrow so I can bring it to my college and tote it around (maybe someone will want to see it work).

Sorry about this again, didn't really want to do this but there's no room in you mail file.
Last edited by pigtailsboy on Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: um... whatever

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:45 am

No PM space left? I had about 80% free space...oh that was before the vBulletin switch.

Just saw out the pcs. The same has happened to me, and it is not worth the effort. Speed in putting them together is not the problem, you should be very generous with the amount of pvc cement that you use for them. Lots and lots of cement will really help prevent leaks. Priming the pcs before the cement is also a good idea.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:04 am

As far as the 100 character rule is concerned, deal with it for now. I've never ran into it myself. It's on mostly because I can't find the setting to turn it off.

Remember to follow the instructions on the can... they can vary from brand to brand. My first PVC creation really was practice - I've got it right now. You should usually twist the PVC in the fitting a bit to help spread it around - using more cement many times will only be wasteful. ;)

george

Post by george » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:07 am

You guys are saying that you have a problem with pumps, and I,m saying I have a solution. Ther are manual water pumps for 20 bucks here in New Zealand I guess a simalar store to the one I got mine from would be Wal-mart I'm not sure. They're pretty chunky but dont weigh much and dont get you drenched. :p

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:25 pm

Please avoid saying "dont". Dont isn't a word. Don't is. I literally read that like this: "d-ont".

I've seen those types of pumps before actually, and I know you can get something similar at McMaster. Search for piston pumps and you'll find all sorts. ;)