APH Design

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
theGreenGuy

Post by theGreenGuy » Sat May 28, 2005 6:16 pm

Hello! I have made a rough sketch of an APH based on Doom's article. I just need some advice on how to improve it or if it is even physically possible. Please mind the messy writing, it was done quick. Any advice or suggestions would be great, thank you in advance! ^_^

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sat May 28, 2005 6:19 pm

Welcome to SSC thegreenguy! sorry, but I don't think this design would work, the pressure chamber should probably be where the reservoir is, and you need to rethink the pump/check valve format (rearrange some stuff) before it might work.

theGreenGuy

Post by theGreenGuy » Sat May 28, 2005 6:42 pm

Thanks, would this work better? ^_^
I really don't want to make a backpack resevoir.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sat May 28, 2005 6:46 pm

I believe that would work, maybe have a slightly bigger reservoir (try a 1 gallon milk jug) You could probably do some modifications to that design to make it more ergonomic.

[at]admin: maybe there should be a thread where people post homemade designs/ideas, that way people can just look at one thread and see all the designs that have popped up.

DX

Post by DX » Sun May 29, 2005 1:05 am

That probably wouldn't work in the long term. Although designs might be put there for a while, sooner or later people would forget about the topic or new people wouldn't notice it. Also, some may need individualized/specific/ongoing help with their designs and seperate topics would be more effective in that situation. Then again, you never know, the k-mod topic I made last year is still where people post about k-mods... :blink:
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

theGreenGuy

Post by theGreenGuy » Sun May 29, 2005 4:35 pm

I made it a bit more compact. One question, can the resevoir be positioned on its side and can the PC be positioned on its side? Or do they both have to be upright. ^_^

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun May 29, 2005 5:45 pm

the reservoir might have trouble feeding water to the gun, but other than that looks good.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sun May 29, 2005 6:17 pm

Originally posted by theGreenGuy@May 29 2005, 04:35 PM
One question, can the resevoir be positioned on its side and can the PC be positioned on its side? Or do they both have to be upright. ^_^
[snapback]25028[/snapback]

The PC has to be upright (see the other current APH thread), but the reservoir can be on its side. Look at most designs of Super Soakers and see how the reservoir is almost always on its side!
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue May 31, 2005 10:15 am

How's the designing coming? Please post your latest thoughts and we'd love to help you out. I'd like for everyone who posts at our forums who is making an APH to finish their water gun and make it well!

theGreenGuy

Post by theGreenGuy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:35 pm

Is there a benefit of a male 3/4" to 3/4" - female 3/4" to 1/2" as you did in your aph. Or is it better to have only one size of pvc for that part?
Anyways, I shall be going to get the materials hopefully this weekend. I'll post some pics and results once I have finished making it. Thanks for all you help guys. ^_^

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:18 pm

The "step up" part of the design was one of the main features. It allows you to use the cheaper 1/2" check valves as well as a 1/2" pump which would be easier to pump.

Good luck with the homemade! B)

bigalexe

Post by bigalexe » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:01 pm

put the a trigger below the three way and spray paint it yellow and the reservoir green, thats the original SS50

Edit: We use capitalization and correct contractions at this forum. Thats isn't a word, but that's is. - Doom

frankenbike

Post by frankenbike » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:47 am

Is there a reason no one builds a gun with the PC under the "barrel" and running a siphon (a tube sticking down to the bottom of the PC) so the water can pump out of it? Seems like the balance would be a lot better if it were done that way (though you lose a small amount of water at the bottom).

It would look something like:

/==============
\==============
/ | | \
| | | |
| | | |
\ | | /
\__/

You could probably use it in combination with various fittings to improve structural integrity as well.

Just wondering...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:48 pm

I could tell you why no one uses a siphon - they don't know how to! ;)

I will tell you though, your water gun will lose a lot of pressure on the siphon part. For simplicity and performance, the PC should be kept on top or be put in another less lossy place.

frankenbike

Post by frankenbike » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:54 pm

Originally posted by Doom@Jun 27 2005, 05:48 AM
I could tell you why no one uses a siphon - they don't know how to! ;)

I will tell you though, your water gun will lose a lot of pressure on the siphon part. For simplicity and performance, the PC should be kept on top or be put in another less lossy place.
I'm not sure I understand why it should lose a significant amount of pressure. Other than fighting gravity, which is small potatoes compared to what I'd expect to be around 100psi or more if you had the right pump.

Oddly...That ascii illustration didn't turn out the way I "drew" it. I had the APC farther away from the nozzle, but the spaces were parsed out ;)

Anyway, it's another design option for folks if they didn't know about it.

Here's an example of a homemade gun with a siphon (though he's using CO2 instead of a pump):

http://www.engr.wisc.edu/news/headlines/2001/Feb26.html
http://www.engr.wisc.edu/alumni/perspec ... cle12.html