Colossus new concept

Threads about water gun modifications.
Hunt_and_Annoy

Colossus new concept

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:05 am

I was thinking, part of the reason colossus mod doesn't have as profound as effect as kmod was because it's only being compressed in one dimension. If there were a way to put like a spring or something at the end of the tube would it increase performance?

Silence

Re: Colossus new concept

Post by Silence » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:43 am

I'm not really sure the direction matters. Although force is a vector quantity and does depend on direction, pressure doesn't, because the directions of the force and area cancel each other out. In a sense.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:50 am

A spring would cause more damage than good. People have brought that up before and I really think it would pop the bladder or activate the pressure relief valve.

If you clamp a tube on the end so that it stretches lengthwise, it should help a bit. A member here named Killer_7 had slightly improved range over my figures in a CPS homemade when he layered tubes and clamped the tubes so they'll stretch lengthwise too. What SilentGuy said is the case with a perfect cylinder, but in reality the shape isn't a perfect cylinder, but it is close. You could see slightly improved range with this. It will not make a huge difference, if it makes a difference at all.
Last edited by SSCBen on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CROC

Post by CROC » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:44 pm

I tried both colossuses, in my FF, and I am not precisely sure, but the clamping tubes down seems to work better, and there is more even distribution, the tubes do not spread out as much. The clamped tube seems to work better for me.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:35 pm

Thanks for confirming that, Croc. I'll add it to the Colossus article (if it's not already in there) once I get home tomorrow. :cool:

CROC

Post by CROC » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:43 am

OK, I think I found a problem, but I was using hose clamps instead of the stock clamp because I had to hack it up to get the PC out, and the FF end plugs cannot hold 2000 PCs
The tubes burst. If pumped too much, the inner tubes can split and burst from the sides of the gun. This could be problematic. However, not over pumping is the only way to prevent this from happening
-Croc

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:15 pm

Where is it bursting? If it's at the ends where the rims of the clamps cut the rubber, then use something to shield the rubber from the metal. If it's just from overpumping, then the only "automatic" solution is to buy a pressure release valve.

CROC

Post by CROC » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:23 pm

The tube kind of split down the middle. (I have not disabled the PRV yet)

The tubes just could not hold the stress of the pressure being pushed against them, and the tubes cracked along the sealed seam. I'll upload a picture in a second.
-Croc

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:24 am

If it was from overpumping then there's nothing you can do aside from adding a valve to prevent the pressure from building up to dangerous levels. I've also considered adding a "trip valve" that activates when the PC expands past a certain point because it moves a pin or something. The easiest way to do that would be with a solenoid valve, but that would introduce electronics.

Without any preventative systems all you can do is make the PC so big that overpumping is unlikely because it can expand as big as you want, unless the space you put it in will be a problem of course.