Hill Defense

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
Neuro

Post by Neuro » Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:03 pm

I'm currently plannning a war in the spring with a couple friends. we'll be defending a hill from attackers, any tips?
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:27 pm

Stand on top of the hill. It will increase your range.

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:55 pm

any ideas as to wooden structures that might make life easier? (and dryer)

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

shadowstalker

Post by shadowstalker » Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:20 pm

a wall and roof to hide behind and under when your being shot at
"------------------!No OnE LeAvEs DrY!----------------"

My Arsenal
Agenst T.C.P.A.
Say No!
Defending Freedom in the Digital World

Belisaurius

Post by Belisaurius » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:10 pm

If it's a relatively tall hill, and you can cover all of it, they'll be in range before they can attack you. otherwise, use trees etc. if people won't mind, then build some fortifications to hide in/behind. make as much use of the terrain as possible. If they get on the top, u may have some problems so try and keep them where u can hit them and they can't hit you.
Victory to Unit 1!

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:00 am

welcome to the forums. that sounds like a good idea, although I don't know if we'll have enough men to cover the entire crest of the hill.

Belisaurius

Post by Belisaurius » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:42 am

thanks

it depends on where they come from. if they're only going to be attacking in one spot, it won't be too bad. try usin stumps as crennelations. you can lie down behind them and shoot at the advancing enemy, and then duck behind for cover. also, there may be places on the hill that u can contol with only one man while the others will take more.

also, if u have those screw in tree climbing things, where u screw it in and u get a step, you could have someone cover the hill from the trees... u'd have to be really careful, it'd probably be good to look up how to make a harness and stuff so they don't fall out. that's a lot of energy and stuff so it really depends.
Victory to Unit 1!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:37 pm

You could also sit on a branch, however thats more dangerous.
Some friends and I are building a platform on top of a large tree that is bent over. That should give us an advantage similar to what the hill does when people attack our base, which includes that tree. Can't wait until next year...

Belisaurius

Post by Belisaurius » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:02 pm

Also, you don't need to be covering everywhere at once: so long as u watch for your enemy, you can concentrate on them and just have sentries out watching for surprise attacks elsewhere on the hill.
Victory to Unit 1!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:22 am

Man, where do you learn all of this?
An update on my bases: Some friends(and this is the truth) found a dump. While not a huge dump, we've taken a lot of stuff from it making our bases(we're making 3) much better, because now they got couches and chairs made from car seats, many 2 liter bottles, ect, stuff we need to make our base the best. ;)

Belisaurius

Post by Belisaurius » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:06 am

very cool! try to get pictures up sometime

as for the hill defense stuff, I read a lot of history, and that helps. if I ever get our old battle manual up, I'll show you. half of the tactics in our database come from the ancient world. anyway, we make maximun use of hills and things like that in our battles because of our limited numbers. it'd be a good idea to look at the terrain closely and see if there are any features that could allow one man to defeat 2 or 3 opponents. even a few of these, in the appropriate locations, could turn the battle very quickly.

I suggest the crenellation idea a lot. we've used it to cover one of the approaches of our new base and it's very, very promising. granted I won't be able to tell for sure till the snow melts... not too many other ideas right now, but there's bound to be something. make sure your troops are fairly accurate though: if u can't hit the troops when they are coming up the hill, and your men are on the ground behind tree stumps they won't be hard to eliminate once the height advantage is lost. make sure u have good communications and a mobile force to back up locations being attacked.

a lot of this depends on the fact that the enemy will come to you. the flow of the battle will determine what, if any, of these ideas can have any use. entrenching won't bring victory if your enemy never attacks, or if they stay out of range or entrench somewhere else and wait for you. what is the area around the hill like, and what kind of things grow on the hill itself?
Victory to Unit 1!

Belisaurius

Post by Belisaurius » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:15 am

of course, this would all need to be used in battle for any actual effectiveness. you'd need to be highly accurate in order to repel attackers fast enough, even with great amounts of enhancements. 1 on 3 won't work out well if it's your worst shot: they may not be able to eliminate even one enemy!

another suggestion... if you're going to try to build a rampart or something, build it BELOW the hill's crest! this has a number of benefits... not only can you attack from behind the wall, you can also cover from the hill's top. any enemies who attack the palisade can be hit by fire from the crest, and you can have grenadiers give suppression fire from the top of the hill. the effectiveness of your water gun fire can be increased with this because while the enemy is trying to dodge water balloons your men are left unmolested and can fire on the enemy.

it's like 1:30 am here, time to go to bed. -_- zzz zzzz

Hey, that's funny..
Belisaurius
Victory to Unit 1!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:23 pm

The area where we're going to be battling is actually pretty flat, the only hill part is in the park, and that would be mostly an emergency base because everyone knows about it, it's very accessable, ect.
I'll have to wait until the snow melts too, I hope it didn't damage our chairs(probably didn't).

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:18 am

Depending on your budget and/or personal preferences, one of those small deer hunting tents with a small window could really help in defending a base. It is like being inside a fortification blocking a segment of the hill :D

-Jade

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:20 pm

Personally, I would rather build a permanent fortification than buy a tent. It would be stronger, and cooler. ;)