Sidearm Training

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
00chapin00

Sidearm Training

Post by 00chapin00 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:38 am

This is a guide on side arm training. I decided to do it because this is the least touched on topic and people need to know about it. I mean sure people can take out a fort with a CPS 2000 but no one can do it with a sidearm pistol.

1. Go out and look for a sidearm gun. I suggest one that comes with a belt clip or you can make your own belt clip.

2. First you must practice the exchange from main gun to sidearm. It makes it twice as easy with a strap on your gun. You just can let go of it and unhook the sidearm from your belt or take it out from your pocket. You want to do this until it is natural.

3. Set up a target or can on the wall and do step two but then shoot out the target right away. You can make this fun by timing yourself and trying to beat your record. Once you can do this set up more targets.

4. Now is the final exam. It is extremely tough but will help out greatly. You have to do at least 1/2 of your next skirmish with just a sidearm. If you can do this successfully you have mastered the sidearm.

Hope this helps out.

SS_Stencil

Post by SS_Stencil » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:16 am

That was a very nice Article.

Well done and keep up the good work!

Ciao.
:cool:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:23 pm

Thanks for addressing the topic, but I still doubt that it's necessary to train like that just for sidearm skills. Water warriors should focus on fundamental tactical knowledge, and they should be able to shoot decently with any soaker--and if you use tap shots, you won't waste too much water before you correct your aim.

00chapin00

Post by 00chapin00 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:38 pm

Well, if you can use a sidearm well you can use a CPS well too. Sidearms are important and you could easily master a big gun but not a pistol.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:17 pm

Well, I'm sorry, but I still fail to see why you'd ever need to learn Quick Draw for water gun fights. If you can't tell when your reservoir is running low, then you clearly haven't mastered the primary/big guns either!

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:26 pm

If you can feel your soaker PC depleting and you haven't got time to pump, then run, and draw your sidearm on the way.

If you find time to pump, then holster your sidearm (or place it within easy reach), then pump your main gun.

Sidearms are not quick draw weapons, but reserves for if you are in an emergency. I tend not to bother with sidearms much. I carry two soakers for main use/dual wielding (devastating with a CPS 27K and 3200) and a 1L homemade for desperate cases - it's a zero pumping weapon.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:54 pm

Sidearms are relative. They don't have to be small, they don't have to be pistols, they just have to be used as sidearms. The "Specialization of Sidearms" chapter in my future wars "book" will explain why I think that.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

supersoaker

Post by supersoaker » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:15 am

SilentGuy wrote:Thanks for addressing the topic, but I still doubt that it's necessary to train like that just for sidearm skills. Water warriors should focus on fundamental tactical knowledge, and they should be able to shoot decently with any soaker.
I agree, but It's like playing a basketball videogame and playing basketball, knowing startegies doesn't make you good at basketball.

I tried using a vaporizer, I used pop cans, I put a little water in them and when I shot them, they didn't fall over... :eek: Makes you realize how underpowered todays soakers are (seriously, from point blank I couldn't knock over a can with 10-20 mL of water in it...)

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:44 am

Oh dear - my CPS 27K can knock a full 1 litre bottle over at 40 feet.

I see - Homemades required.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Flashflood

Post by Flashflood » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:21 pm

i use the out of style caribeaner ( i think thats how you spell it ) on guns like the arctic shock because of there skinny trigger guards

WaTer FigHt NoOb

Post by WaTer FigHt NoOb » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:46 am

wasnt this posted already? Come on this is taking it a bit far... isnt it?

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:06 am

Every topic except for some of the tech ones have been posted like 5 times over the course of SSC's history. :rolleyes:

However, you have no idea what "taking it a bit far" is in terms of sidearms, if you think this is it. Sidearms and training to use them can go a lot farther, and I can dive into the psycholgical aspects of sidearms if needed. :p

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:53 am

Sidearms - it really depends what people think of as a light weapon.

Hell, for some people the "oh my god - they've got a flash flood" would make a favourable sidearm - myself included.

And these days - the flash flood is the best Hasbro soaker on the market, and will probably be considered a heavy weapon by many n00bs - so me using it as a sidearm is a bit ironic.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:46 am

I quote myself:
They don't have to be small, they don't have to be pistols, they just have to be used as sidearms.
Everyone thinks a sidearm must be light. That's not true at all. You can use any gun as a sidearm, as long as you actually use that gun as a sidearm.

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:12 pm

Agreed, DX. I've had an XP-70 as a sidearm for a couple of fights last year. But its an interesting article. I've done the whole thing with my Storm 500, and actually <i>enjoy</i> using my sidearm.

Enough said, I'm going to try to find a more recent topic. Every topic I go into shows that there's new posts.... :eek:
Although it is peacful and a beautiful place being among the stars, there is danger lurking in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for

- Captain Ivan Reilly,
IGA Intrepid
During conclusion speeches of the Xidian Wars