Cylinderical CPS PC Shortening

Threads about water gun modifications.
Aqua_Flash

Cylinderical CPS PC Shortening

Post by Aqua_Flash » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:14 pm

I've just completed a CPS Pressure Chamber Shorten on my Monster X, in which I took pictures of it along the way (charging camera now to transfer them), and I thought I'd post what I got.

Basically, I cut about 4cm off, and it has made the PC capacity a little lower, however it has given an increase in power which is what the Monster X needs. The chamber holds about 70mL less (was 610mL before), although again seems to give a more fierce burst of water.

I will be doing a write up, however preference on this modification will vary. I feel it isn't the best thing to do, I think next time I may do a collossus with Latex tubing and not bike tubes and see if I get a more noticable better result (getting a 4100 soon so may do it on that, I feel it has more potential that the Monster X).

SSCBen

Re: Cylinderical CPS PC Shortening

Post by SSCBen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:05 pm

I don't recall anyone doing this modification but I do remember some very old discussion about it probably from 2002. In theory it was supposed to allow the PC to expand more, which could increase the PC capacity and power. I guess 4 cm isn't right to increase capacity, but if it increases power that's nice. Good job.

I wanted to try Colossus with LRT, but I found on my Arctic Blast that the PC was too wide to fit LRT. The maximum inner diameter for LRT is 1 inch, so I don't think you could get the old PC through there unless you stretch it far (and that might not be good for the rubber).

Some thicker bike tubes might do the trick. I remember looking for some thick ones before and I forgot about it until now. They do make some that are like 2 mm thick from what I remember, but they're expensive.

Aqua_Flash

Post by Aqua_Flash » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:21 pm

I was thinking I may have done it too much, the pressure chamber doesn't go all the way back to the end. It makes me wonder if I screwed the clamps on too tight, I have a feeling I overdid them, as they are tighter down than they were before, so perhaps it is limiting its freedom. If this is the case looks like I'll be opening the soaker up again.

I might have to look for some thicker bike tubes, as while I have the size right so they fit over snug, but again, they aren't very thick. I'll do some searching.

Yeah, I had a look at the latex tubing today on a UK site I found, and the prices for the largest size is not big enough to fit over and risking damage are not cheap, it was over $100, which for what is being done not worth it at all.
Last edited by Aqua_Flash on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:41 am

im kind of confused, did you cut some off of the rubber tubing or the pc housing. i assumed you cut the rubber, but it doesnt make sense that it would cut the pc capacity.

Aqua_Flash

Post by Aqua_Flash » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:44 pm

I just cut the rubber.

My suspicions were confirmed. I had tightened the rubber tubing clamp (where there pressure gauge part was) onto the rubber too tight, which meant that it actually restricted how much water could go in. After untightening them a bit to how it looked before I can happily say it does now go nearly at the end, and gives a more noticeable powerful shot with a bit more shot time.

However, I learnt something here, I cut it too long, 4cm is not recommended. I think that from this a good length of rubber to cut off I say would be around 2-3cm from doing this, with 3cm your maximum. There is overall a good power boost, so much so that I might do this to my CPS 4100 when it comes, I'm having trouble deciding on whether to put on thicker bike tubes or doing this to increase its power.

I'll post pictures later.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:47 pm

He shortened the rubber part. The bladder has less capacity, even when filled, because now it can't even extend all the way to the end of the housing.

EDIT: Aqua Flash beat me to the post.

Oh, and I'd like to see the results of the mod over time. I worry the bladder could weaken much more quickly if you completely fill it each time.

Aqua_Flash

Post by Aqua_Flash » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:15 pm

To be honest now that I've tried it and that thought of it weakening quicker has now come into my head from that post, I really don't recommend doing this now, while increasing the power, it doesn't really increase it enough to make this modification worth doing. Although at least now that I've tried it I know what it's like.

The good thing is I've found some 24" (the right size) 2.25mm thick bike tubing, which I plan to buy and use for a colossus on that 4100. I'm hoping this gets a better result, I'm pretty sure it will be more noticeable, not only because the CPS 4100 is and feels more powerful than a Monster X in my experience, but also because the bike tubing I will be using this time is a lot thicker, so I should be able to notice some better results without fiddling around cutting the chamber and risking things.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:36 am

Definitely try the thicker bike tubing out. If that works then we'll definitely have an improved Colossus modification.

Aqua_Flash

Post by Aqua_Flash » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Well, things didn't go the way I wanted, so I can't order the tubing as after all the messing around, Cylinderical just doesn't have what I want (Spherical does), sorry, hopefully someone else will try it.

One thing I did manage to do with what I had, was perform a Cylinderical integration. I took the rubber firing chamber as well as it's case from a scrapped CPS 4100, and since I'd messed up the Monster X's, I used the 4100's and fit that in the Monster X instead. The 4100's firing chamber case as well as firing chamber is a tad longer, but fits in just perfectly.

The power is better than the Monster X's stock firing chamber, and while there is room for more power, I think I'll just leave things alone this time, as after some statistic, video and picture taking I'm planning on selling the soaker anyway soon, along with the fact that I don't want to mess with it anymore. Still have the box and an unused Monster QFD too.

I still have the Monster X firing chamber and case (case has been cut open) if anybody is interested in buying that, as I don't need em now. If nobody is interested, then well I'll just get rid of them.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:45 am

If you could make any sort of page about swapping pressure chambers that would be nice. We don't have much information about those type of modifications.

I don't know who'd be interested in just the pressure chamber and case. I'd save them both personally. You might find the pressure chamber useful in the future.