Help for an aspiring newbie

Threads about water gun modifications.
Airpi

Help for an aspiring newbie

Post by Airpi » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:11 am

First off, hello there SSC! As you've already seen above, me name's Airpi, pronounced air-pee, should you ever need to say it aloud.

Anyway, I'm looking to mod my CPS 1-3-5. Check valve freeze, k-mod, plug up the extra nozzle, and a drill for the remaining nozzle. Problem is, I'm a complete noob with regards for this stuff. Im having trouble just getting the damn thing open. Specifically, getting the pump-thingy off. I saw the same problem on a faq somewhere around here, but the advice "grab it with a wrench really hard on the part that connects to the rest of the gun and pull" just left me with a slightly dented pump. So, any advice from the more experienced modders here would be very much appreciated.

Also, I've never done this before so if theres some obvious noob mistake that people make, Im probably making it. If theres anything noobs always do that ruins guns, please tell me.
Current Projects:
K-Mod/Single Barrel Mod for CPS 1-3-5
Project "Boom Headshot", Aqualabs 3.2 WBL

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:41 am

Welcome to Super Soaker Central!

Were you trying to remove the pump cap (the orange part)? You might have to pry it off or even saw it off to open your CPS 1-3-5 if it is glued on. If sawing is the only option, be very careful to not cut the pump shaft by not cutting any deeper than you have to. Once off, you can open the water gun and get to work.

Hopefully someone who has opened a CPS 1-3-5 could offer some insight on this. I have mentioned every method I know, but possibly there is a method I missed.

Airpi

Post by Airpi » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:20 am

Yeah, the orange pump cap. Ill get the terminology down soon enough. I was thinking of cutting into it, I'm a little less hesistant about it now.

*edit*Wait, glue can't be the case here. The cap spins freely, I just cant get it out of whatever socket its in. Thanks for the input though.
Last edited by Airpi on Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects:

CROC

Post by CROC » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:45 pm

The pump cap is the same as a MD5K or other guns. The pump cap is put over a groove (when I get a digital camera, I will show you), and it lets the pump cap spin freely, but won't let it come off unless you use a flat headed jewlers screwdriver or a hacksaw.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:00 pm

Yes, I think Croc has the idea. Basically, there are two parts to the pump: and inner piece and the grip. The inner piece must be circular and has a hole drilled in the middle, and a screw connects it to the pump shaft. The grip is glued over it.

Actually, I don't think that's right--everything must be glued after all. What's happening is that since the pump tube and plunger are circular, the plunger is allowed to rotate within the tube. Does the pump shaft turn with the grip?

Airpi

Post by Airpi » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:33 pm

No, it doesn't. Im thinking that the cap is shaped to fit into some notch or groove on the inside.
Current Projects:

Jarathor

Post by Jarathor » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:30 pm

I think that there is a groove that holds the pump-cap in place, and not glue like you said. The way I got the one off my Max-D 6000 was to get a flathead screwdriver under it, and just pry it off. Wrenchs just seem to slip off for me. I wouldn't cut it myself, but if you can't get it off any other way, do it.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:03 pm

Pump caps are always "female dogs" to get off, or past. However, they can be patched up after work has been done.

I've got a "wire cage" on my 3xA instead of a pump cap. However, it still needs the PC replacing.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston