Backpack mod

Threads about water gun modifications.
HappyDappy

Post by HappyDappy » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:57 pm

Wow... its been 6 1/2 months since I last posted. Oh well.

Anyways I have a few questions for all you nice perps at SScentral about your backpack mod instructions.

1) In the materials list, it says you need PVC yet it is nowhere mentioned in the instructions. What do you need it for?

2) What is a good method of attaching the tubing to the gun itself?

3) When you screw the cap over the bag, how do you keep water from leaking out the sides? (it is impossible to screw it on tight enough for water not to leak out)

If I can get the answers to these questions, I'll be able to finally finish the backpack mod for my 4100. Thanks.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:03 am

1) I'm sure that you're reading this as a materials list:
Types of backpack mods

* Trash bag
* Hydration pack, portable shower or camelback
* PVC/ABS piping
* Bottles
...when you should be reading this as the materials list for the trash bag method...
You'll need the following:

* Backpack to store the bag in
* Trash bag (preferably the kind without a drawstring)
* Bottle with a large (~2 inches in diameter) hole, include the cap
* Scissors
* Drill bit slighly smaller than the tubing size
* Vinyl or similar tubing (I used 3/8")
2) Drilling a hole into the reservoir is a common one as far as I know.

3) The water doesn't leak out. That is, if you use a larger bottle top such as ones used in grape juice bottles. When I said "screw the cap on over the bag, sealing the bag onto the cap and threads," I meant that it actually seals. You wouldn't even get close to sealing this on a smaller bottle top. If you don't believe me that it seals, try it for yourself. Unless you do it incorrectly (in which case you didn't do it), it will seal. I'd be more worried about getting a tear in the bag, which is unlikely if you use a strong bag and treat it like it should be.

HappyDappy

Post by HappyDappy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:49 am

Alright thanks about that. I suppose I'll throw out another problem thats been dogging my efforts.

This is the fact that when I put on the backpack, is the water supposed to travel from the bag into the gun by water pressure? Or do I have to lift the bag over my head and let gravity do the work (I sure hope not :) ) I am having problems with just water pressure as the water often just collects at the bottom of the bag to one side and does not go into the tubing and therefore does not travel to the gun (by the way, I decided to drill thru the reservoir cap to attach the tubing).

Help the inexperienced user, Please. Thanks.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:52 am

First off, don't call yourself a inexperienced user. I think you'll notice that I haven't added that to the dictionary. Whenever someone says something along those lines I always take them less seriously. SSCentral is designed to be a place for water warriors, not inexperienced users.

The bag will work because of a combination of gravity and the suction of the gun. If you seal the tube on good, it will operate by suction. Make a good seal with epoxy and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't seal. Also, make sure the hole you drill is slightly smaller than the tubing's outer diameter. That will ensure that the tubing seals.

HappyDappy

Post by HappyDappy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:38 pm

Jeez alright man. Don't need to get all bureaucratic on me. I just never did any serious mods before, you know. I mean sheesh, I was just trying to show a little humility (which by the way never hurt anyone). The last time I posted people were a lot more friendly to inexperienced useries <_< ...

Fact is that I'm just tryin to have some fun here making a backpack for my gun in preparation for summer.

Whatever. You'll have to excuse that long soliloquy of complaints ^_^ . I'm just quite frustrated with the way my project is going. Its been a long line of misfortunes from bottle caps breaking to bags ripping to the seal being loose.

By the way, can you by any chance tell me what a good brand of bag would be for making this backpack. Thanks a lot.

I'm going to give this project another try. If this doesn't work, I'll just epoxy the tube to a large 2 gallon jug, put it in a bag, and try it out that way. I think that might work pretty well actually.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:10 pm

Originally posted by HappyDappy@Feb 9 2005, 09:38 PM

Jeez alright man. Don't need to get all bureaucratic on me. I just never did any serious mods before, you know. I mean sheesh, I was just trying to show a little humility (which by the way never hurt anyone). The last time I posted people were a lot more friendly to inexperienced useries <_< ...
We're friendly to newbies, and help them become more experienced. We're not keen on inexperienced users (which is an insult), who ignore rules, act immaturely and post without thinking. There is a difference. Humility is fine (we all need it -_- ), but don't insult yourself - you may be a newb but you're not necessarily a inexperienced user. ;)

EDIT: 650 posts!
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

HappyDappy

Post by HappyDappy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:20 pm

Gotcha Spinner ^_^ Forgot all about the newbie vs inexperienced user deal.

Well, I was pretty outta line when I typed that last post yesterday so please Doom Don't be offended. Again really frustrated with the bag.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've decided now to go with the hard reservoir in the form of the 2.5 gallon jug (next time I get Poland Spring I'll get one of those).

It should work the same, though it'll be harder to store.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:52 pm

You don't need to tell me to not be offended. I only get offended when I'm insulted.
By the way, can you by any chance tell me what a good brand of bag would be for making this backpack.
I wouldn't suggest any brand over another. Just use whatever trash bag is available. I've used some Hefty brand ones before -- one has lasted over a year until I replaced it as maintenance.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:13 pm

Originally posted by HappyDappy@Feb 10 2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I've decided now to go with the hard reservoir in the form of the 2.5 gallon jug (next time I get Poland Spring I'll get one of those).

It should work the same, though it'll be harder to store.
[snapback]22082[/snapback]

How do you intend to let air into the container if you use a jug? If you have a good way to do this can you tell me?

HappyDappy

Post by HappyDappy » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:37 pm

Hmmm. Interesting thought hunter. Took me ahwile to respond cause my friend and I have began a water balloon launcher project (which I'm happy to say is turning out beautifully :) ). But whatever, back on topic.

The way I thought about letting air into the water tank was like this. You know the little rubber piece on the top of cps reservoir caps that lets air in but not water out? I was going to go look around for a piece of rubber (like a thin strip of it) to cut it into that shape. Then, I would drill a hole into the cap of the water tank. I then just need to epoxy the rubber onto the cap and voila.

It could also be done with a 3/8 piece of tubing with a sponge in it which is then squeezed into a hole drilled on the cap of the water tank (I suppose).

This is all theoretical of course and if you see any problems with it, please point it out to me. Thanks.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:43 am

when I do one, I might just saw the cap of one of my broken soakertag guns off and use that to let air in. I like your idea better though <_<