Dual action pump

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
11ilee

Dual action pump

Post by 11ilee » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:11 pm

Hey,

I was wondering if it was possible to create a water gun that used a pump that pumps water into a pressure chamber when pushed or pulled.

Thanks,
11ilee

SSCBen

Re: Dual action pump

Post by SSCBen » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:53 pm

Yes, it is possible, and it has been featured in Storm water guns before.

In my opinion however, dual-action pumps are not a good idea because while they might cut the number of pumps in half, the energy expended should be nearly exactly the same, which is what really matters. Dual-action pumps add complexity and cost as well.

Josh

Post by Josh » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:00 am

The Super Soaker Hydroblitz had a pump like that, but also pumped about half the volume of normal super soaker pumps, leaving it pretty much the same.

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:06 am

So, its not really practical?

Thanks,
11ilee

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:15 am

The way I look at it, you're just doing a set amount of work (filling up your PC) in a smaller amount of time, which means you work more. Not good. With a normal pump, you're having to do less work on the out stroke (pulling water in from the reservoir) than the in stroke (pushing water to the PC). With a dual-action pump, you're doing both at the same time, which, when you think about it, is harder.

Ideally, you want the least amount of work to fill your pump; you could use some kind of lever system, but that'd just increase time (and, maybe, possible pressure).

Either way, it all about how you look at it. If you can handle it, by all means go for a complex, dual-action pump. If your fine with a little bit longer pump time, use a not-so-complex regular pump.

Hope that helps.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:50 am

aEx is right. With regular pumps, you're wasting some energy (thanks to friction) when pulling out. But that muscle group (deltoid, lattimus dorsi) is probably too weak to pump a significant amount of water itself.

Josh

Post by Josh » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:19 am

I'd prefer two way pumps, because even if it would require more energy, it would pump more in less time (assuming you don't tire from it and slow down).

If you have strong arms and can handle it, and can figure out a good system to make one, go for it.

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:27 am

Thanks for all your responses! Not sure if I want to build one now mostly because I probably couldn't build one if I tried. Well, again, thanks! :)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:34 am

Dual action pumps shouldn't be much more difficult to build than a normal pump, so don't get the wrong impression. ;)

Let me reiterate that both dual action and normal pumps should use about the same amount of energy to get the same pressure. Dual action pumps however use weaker muscles to pump water on the outstroke so they might actually be slower than normal pumps. Of course, that depends greatly on the design of the pump and the individual.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:47 am

No, I'd say dual action pumps are harder to build. You need an O-ring at the mouth of the pump tube, and fixed to the pump tube, not to the shaft. And tape is the easiest way to fine-tune normal seals, but you can't use it here.

You'd need a thick O-ring and a system like Drenchenator's (which I can't find a link to) to clamp the O-ring in place.

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:35 am

Ok, thanks!