homemade help

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:39 pm

If you want to build a homemade, I would suggest going for Ben's air pressure homemade. Sounds like it'll suit your requirements quite well, and you can always browse the forums for more ideas. :)

mchaos

Post by mchaos » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:49 pm

Well its too late for this year, but you could always build something like mine for next year...

http://forums.sscentral.org/t4516/

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:45 pm

For the most part, it just increases shot time (and reduces dropoff). Pressure, nozzles, and flow (pretty much dictated by the nozzle too) are the only factors affecting range. You can reach the same pressures regardless of how many pressure chambers you have, and another PC won't increase flow because flow is still restricted in the nozzle.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:21 pm

I have over 30 seconds of shot time on my double chambered APH with a 5/64-inch nozzle. The gun took around 50 pumps to fully pressurize. That is excellent shot time. My CPH gets even more shot time because it has an even larger pressure chamber. If you were mistaken about the shot times from APH and CPH water guns, I think you should consider them. Regardless, any APH or CPH design can be designed to have an especially large chamber.

Larger pressure chambers increase total water capacity, increasing shot time and number of pumps. However, a small increase in power I have noticed likely from more chambers due to a slight increase in flow from to the increased number of inlets from the pressure chambers. But, the increase is largely insignificant if existant.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:11 pm

instead of 4'' of 3'' pipe could you use 8'' of 1 1/2'' pipe all?
Most definitely not; the volume is completely different in this case. Remember the volume of a cylinder is a function of length and the radius (or half diameter) squared. Halving one and doubling the other does not result in the same volume. Besides, larger pipe sizes are cheaper per unit volume. In other words, just go with the 3" as it is cheaper for the volume and results in less length.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.