Go Back   Super Soaker Central > Water gun technology > Homemade water guns
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the SSC Forums! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and more. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Important note: The SSC forums are now in archive mode. WaterWar.net is the new online discussion board for the water gun hobby.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
aEx155

UserID: 1517
Default Gate valve type thing?

Would this work?

Basically, it's a piece of PVC sheet (of something similar) with a hole the same size as the pipe through it. It is then sealed between two pieces of pipe in a box to hold it all together. Push to open, spring return. If it works, would be linear flow. It's like the other "new liner flow valve" somewhere else, but instead of a pipe, it uses sheet.I think I saw something similar on McMaster-Carr, but I'm not sure...
Old 05-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Drenchenator
Administrator

UserID: 320
Default Re: Gate valve type thing?

Yes, that should work and would be virtually identical to my "New Linear Flow Valve." The problem would be building it. But with the right planning and preparation it should work.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Silence
Administrator

UserID: 576

Sheets instead of pipes are what "gate valves" use. That's probably what you saw on McMaster-Carr. Unfortunately, most sheets are rather thin and that might explain the lower pressure ratings.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:28 AM   #4
aEx155

Wow. I'm glad I got my facts right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentGuy
Sheets instead of pipes are what "gate valves" use. That's probably what you saw on McMaster-Carr. Unfortunately, most sheets are rather thin and that might explain the lower pressure ratings.

Well, I meant something like PVC sheet. Maybe lexan probably would work better...
Old 05-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
Ben
Founder

UserID: 1

PVC should be plenty adequate. Lexan would just cost more and be clear, which would make telling if the valve was open or closed by looking through it more difficult.

If you could make a valve like this that would be great! Some people have experimented with stuff like this but none have made anything particularly useful yet. I think it deserves more experimentation.

[email address] / Please read this before emailing or PMing me

Do not ask me water gun questions by email or PM. Please post the question at the forum. Private questions and suggestions are welcome by PM and email. Also, I do not sell or buy water guns online.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
Drenchenator
Administrator

UserID: 320

I agree. Give it a try if you want; it may work very well and be another option for a firing valve. My one worked well considering it didn't have any seals and leaked horribly because of it, but it did more or less prove the concept.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
aEx155

Darn, someone posted after Ben already...this was supposed to be before Drenchanator's post.

Well, I was hoping to give this idea to SSCentral for someone else to try; I don't really have the resources (money being the main thing ...) "available" (... my dad won't let me have), but I do have the skill as I've done things like this before. If someone got the parts:

x = diameter of trigger section, ex 1/2", 3/4", 1"
  1. x PVC pipe
  2. 2 - x PVC coupler
  3. 2 - x PVC plug
  4. 2 - x diameter o-ring
  5. 1 - 1/4" PVC sheet
  6. 1 - sheet metal to enclose all
  7. 1 - spring
  8. 4 - pairs of small nuts and bolts
  9. Super glue (?)
  10. Silicone sealant (?)
  11. Appropriate drill bits

Then I could help with the assembly (in a way)...I'm not sure whether this is going to become reality, though.