Box Pics: Super Soaker Shot Blast

General water gun discussion.
isoaker_com

Box Pics: Super Soaker Shot Blast

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Got my hands on a Super Soaker Shot Blast. Haven't had a chance to open it up and test it just yet (currently at work :p ), but wanted to share some quick box pics with everyone.

More info coming soon...

Enjoy this for now!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

soakernerd

Re: Box Pics: Super Soaker Shot Blast

Post by soakernerd » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:17 pm

That actually looks halfway decent (for a piston gun). I have also found some internal pics:
http://nerfornothing.blogspot.com/2010/ ... blast.html

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:39 pm

Soakernerd, welcome to SSC. Nice find there; it seems that the NIC is ahead on the 2010 but then again, they find then to be more useful than many of us do. The pics confirm the PC and self-triggering system similar to the Quick Blasts, which at least justifies the $20 halfway. It may also explain the 25ft range, but I don't recall the Quick Blast having that problem.

I wonder what it says under "You've been recruited for the Soaker Wars!".
Last edited by C-A_99 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:02 pm

A comment from the NERF mod is interesting - saying that two pumps gave nearly twice the range. I wonder what exactly he did to allow the extra pump - maybe something similar would boost the soaker's power.
The presence of the chamber indicates what the name would have clued - it's basically a successor to the Quick Blast.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:29 pm

I am actually an avid modifier of Nerf guns, and it seems to me that he simply connected the auto-open valve to a trigger, so it wouldn't open till he moved it. the big difference is that in NERF, you're using air to propel the dart, whereas with water guns, you simply propel the water. (akin to firing a Nerf gun without a dart). but water does not compress, so you can only fit a certain amount into the firing chamber.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:51 pm

Nerfers knowing more about Super Soakers than the water warfare community? What is this?! :p

Glad to be seeing/learning all this additional info, though, but at the same time, it's a little strange.

@Cantab: that modder somehow managed to install a trigger on the Shot Blast. Must've also cut into the grip to fit it in, but it is unclear exactly how he did it based on the pics alone.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:04 pm

According to this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpXA46TkfXo , the pistol grip (aka the grip where the trigger is supposed to go) is actually part of the reservoir. That makes a good trigger more difficult to create, but is still the only viable way to convert it to a Nerf blaster. Since with a trigger, the pumping to the PC is no longer limited, it can be pumped farther, probably even getting to three or four pumps. The reservoir will end up being a lot of dead space though, unless it's modified as a dart storage container or something.

@iSoaker: I was thinking the same thing, haha. The NIC is definately finding recent water guns to be more useful than we are, but given one knows how both Nerf and soakers work, it shouldn't be too surprising.

The Shot Blast will be in high demand by the Nerf community since the Air Tech series (which are almost like CPS 1200's to us) are apparently no longer available. I've actually gotten two offers from people to buy my AT2000's. Leave it to Hasbro to do something like that... The recent Nerf blasters are not much good for modification either; air guns seem to be more popular at the NIC but perhaps Hasbro is not wanting more modding going on in their blasters due to the apparently increasing popularity of Nerf.
Last edited by C-A_99 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:12 pm

Interesting. Have you tested it yet? I own a Quick Blast. How I do two pumps is do that I do a "half" to "two-thirds" pump and then a hard quick pump. This gives more shot time and a small range increase. Not that it matters that much.

Part of the reservoir includes the grip? That's weird.

This nerf mod is cool.

How big is the nozzle? It looks small on the box, but you never know.

The Shot Blast looks good, and so does the Rattler. I can't wait until a review comes out!
Last edited by JuchTurtles on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:17 am

That's a pretty cool video, but I still don't think it would be worth the effort to convert it to a SPC gun. What I would do would be the same as the suggestion in the video, but I would attach rubber bands to that rod. This would hopefully (with the addition of a trigger) provide similar performance to a Pulse Strike. Then again, for $20, I could just get the Pulse Master.
Theoretically, the same technique (banding) could be applied to the pulse series, to give the spring chamber more oomph. The way the Pulse Master works (I think) is similar to a Nerf Nite finder: the air/water is propelled by the spring, which has an airtight seal with the plunger tube. when the tension of the spring is released, pushes the air/water forward. On the Nite finder, banding it results in increased ranges. Could the same be done here?

sorry for rambling.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:55 am

That's basically how the Pulse Master works; just like any other water blaster but the pressure chamber is a piston and spring. However, the spring is pushed back by pumping water; it is way too stiff to pull back by hand unlike on spring nerf blasters. (also, no spring nerf blasters have any valves at all to control air release; the "snap" of the plunger creates the sudden burst of air needed to launch the dart)

That said, it may not be as simple as putting rubber bands around the Pulse Master. (you'd need more springs or a more stiff one) Instead, I'd suggest (for Nerf conversions) doing away with the spring backed pressure chamber entirely, using any methods possible to turn it into a small air vessel that would be appropriate for launching darts.

Juch, you'll notice the handle being part of the reservoir real easily if you look at the internals closely. It was probably done to save on the costs of making the handle part of the frame and having the screws and all. Then again, the intake tube probably has to extend all the way there so I don't know for sure.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Ya, I see it, but it's just weird. You'd need a dip tube, but I don't think it has one. Maybe turn it upside down? It's just like any homemade where you make a handle, like dead space kinda that requires draining. Just a pain by my experience.

I wonder if it really shoots 25 feet. The Quick Blast does, and if the Shot Blast is similar it should. The Quick Blast does have a dip tube, though.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:07 pm

It would need a dip tube anyway. The pump connects to the front of the reservoir, but water blasters are generally angled upwards. I think even Habsro wouldn't make a gun that had to be angled down to us.

Having the reservoir go into the handle probably helps, since then the end of the dip tube is in a fairly narrow space, rather than the wide space of the back/bottom of the main reservoir. That will reduce the unusable volume.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:31 pm

The internal pics make it pretty clear that the intake tube is needed. The handle also explains why they didn't just use a normal intake hole instead. It does create additional volume (which makes a difference when the output is so low), but makes the reservoir more difficult to empty.

Hasbro has used intake tubes inside air pressure PC's before, which accounts for their very mediocre performance. Why they wouldn't go with an XP style PC and save money from needing tubes is beyond me.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:02 am

Here be a bunch more box and blaster pics of the Super Soaker Shot Blast.

@C-A_99: you should now be able to read the back of the box fairly clearly in some of the pics.

Enjoy!

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:32 am

Cool. Do you have a review out yet?

What I find kinda weird is that the box is enclosed. Most soakers are pretty open with their boxes, but this isn't.
SPLASH! You're dead!