Flannel: New member w/arsenal, seeking tips...

General water gun discussion.
Flannel

Flannel: New member w/arsenal, seeking tips...

Post by Flannel » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:28 am

Hi my name is Flannel, and I am new to this site.
If any of you frequent http://www.nerfhq.com and are into modifying Nerf guns or dart guns, than you might be familiar with me.
My story:

When I was 16 I lived in a two story duplex in a suburb that bordered some farm land. The house I lived in was two stories and had these awesome sunken in basement windows. Do you all know the kind that are like sunken into the ground? The kind you can walk or climb out of? Well, anyway they were part of the county building code, and you could fit two people with ammo(water ballons, water jugs and water guns) comfortably in these wells, which were kind of like bunkers. Another cool thing about them is that you could have access to the basement if need be. Anyway, me and my friend Ben who was like 12 or 10 at the time or something hooked up because he lived next door in the other duplex. I’d go into my upstairs room and shoot out the window, and we’d have charges out of our bunkers(window wells) at other neighbor kids in the suburb.

I moved away. It was soon winter in my new house and I lost interest in my water hobby because the Supersoaker guns always broke a week or less after I bought them, storm guns were the only guns I could rely on(What happened to them?). My parents have never really liked cap guns( because they’re too loud or too realistic) or guns that shot projectiles, and that is why I have always been a water gun person, because it was the only thing I was allowed to shoot at my friends. Well, I started to rebel and buy cap guns and Nerf guns behind their back. They sort of reluctantly accepted what I was doing for the moment. I did some mods on my nerf nite finder, and a airtech 3000. I was disappointed with the homemade darts I was making. They were inaccurate unreliable, and didn’t go very far. I also didn’t like making darts all the time, so I fell out of the sport. But every once and awhile I would make some darts or do some modifications. I got more into nerf than supersoakers because the wars would last longer because everone wouldn’t get wet. They’re was always a limit on how wet you could get, than it was just over because we were all soaking wet. Any suggestions would help.

Anyway, I didn’t see any mods online for my supermaxx 750, so I joined nerfhq.com, and asked the question in one of the threads. The website helped me to keep focused on the hobby of nerf, and I have been hooked ever since. Then I noticed some of this sites members wondering over here to nerfhq and posting some pretty cool replies.
I visited the site, and I can really dig what you guys do. I then went back to Nerf and forgot about the account I created here. Than I saw some Supersoakers at Meijer (Nerf guns were removed from the shelves and replaced with Supersoakers, despite ample room for both lines of guns) and so it was that I was forced to look at some of the supersoakers that were in the nerf guns place. I was like these are pretty cool! I remembered this account and the e-mail I received about the forums being slow because it is not summer(never even thought about that concept!). So here I am with my arsenal!

My Arsenal: Any comment about my guns will be appreciated.
Are there any Nerf conversions for these guns?

edit: replaced broken link to this picture...

The CPS 1200 I got at goodwill for $2.50.
I tried to modify that storm water gun to shoot darts, but I can’t get it open.

Waterball-I bought it for $20.00 at Mejier back in the day. It shoots little balls of water(really cool)

Hose nozzle attachment(near the water goggles)- Went to a storm water gun that is hopefully still in the shed/garage. It pumped itself up with pressure from the hose. It is the coolest gun I have ever owned. Period. It was Purple and Orange.

Other assorted cheap water blasters. ( I got the yellow ones on sale at mejier 6 years ago for .10 a piece!)

Anybody know what happened to storm water guns? And http://www.stormwaterguns.com?
They were probably bought out, like the vortex ring gun line was with Hasbro/nerf.
Greedy corporate slime!

Any other questions or comments to help a complete Newb, please post!
Last edited by Flannel on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:25 am

Welcome. That storm gun is the only one I can see would work for nerf conversion. The 1200 is CPS and doesn't have much pressure (ah, the wonders of rubber), the waterball is... uh... for cool purposes only, and the others appear to be squirt pistols (if any of them have pumps, tell us. I can't tell).

I would recommend building a homemade nerf gun instead of converting one of those, though. Then you wouldn't have to sacrifice one of your soakers and you would have a better end result for only $30-40 worth of tools that can be used again and again throughout your life.

Flannel

Post by Flannel » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:52 pm

I am sorry this is kind of old.

What ever happened to storm water guns? I always thought those were better than super soakers because they lasted longer and weren't as cheap/break down.

Are any of the current super soakers on the market worthy for super soaker wars? Any particular guns better suited for nerf conversion.

Not many people responded to this thread, not many people around here.
I always wondered what happened to water gun fights and supersoakers in the winter!

m15399

Post by m15399 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:17 am

Storms are no longer manufactured. Not really sure why, but maybe someone else knows. If you're used to storm guns, then you should try some Buzz Bee blasters, such as the Piranha.

I stated my opinion on conversions, but you would want something with a seperate PC (not pressurized reservoir) and you would want something with a large pump volume. Since super soaker pumps are only 1/2", I recomment replacing the pump. But if you're going to do that, you're almost at a homemade.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:57 pm

Storm is still around from what I know. Jakks Pacific's website still has Storm listed and shows some water guns I have not seen before (may be new to 2006?): http://www.jakkspacific.com/construct.p ... page=storm

As for modifying a water gun to shoot Nerf darts, please avoid doing that. Of course, we are interested in water guns, not modifying them to shoot Nerf darts. I have tried that before, and believe me, a homemade Nerf dart gun will get better performance at less pumps. Some water guns wouldn't be any better served as water guns, so you might have success modifying them to shoot Nerf darts. Just look for a water gun as m15399 described - separate pressure chamber, low number of pumps, etc. Avoid CPS water guns because they are designed to shoot for a duration, and 90% of your pumps won't go towards anything (i.e. those who claim to get more distance from something like a CPS 2500 modified to shoot Nerf darts is lying). If the water gun uses more than one separate pressure chamber, it likely has too much PC capacity and you should remove one PC and fill in the hole.

Flannel

Post by Flannel » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:59 pm

Ben wrote:As for modifying a water gun to shoot Nerf darts, please avoid doing that. Of course, we are interested in water guns, not modifying them to shoot Nerf darts.
I always thought that Nerf and Supersoakers were of mutual interest/similarity. Are people here like "nerf vs. supersoaker", or like Airsofters dislike Nerfers=Supersoaker people dislike Nerfers?
Ben wrote:I have tried that before, and believe me, a homemade Nerf dart gun will get better performance at less pumps.
I don't doubt that. But I did modify the CPS 1200, it gets around 80ft with 20+ pumps. I hot glued a cpvc barrel to it. But first I took it apart and removed the nozzles and non-essentials.

Also thanks for the info on storm, I found some storm guns on ebay(expensive) and I guess I will to keep looking for more independant sources that still sell Storm Guns.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:17 pm

80 feet with 20 pumps? Isn't 200 with 8-9 better?

Seriously, make a homemade. Super soakers have 1/2" pumps, making you pump your arm off to charge it.

Flannel

Post by Flannel » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:39 pm

Yeah cool, I will have to do that.
I tested the CPS out in this cold winter weather and it sucked.
It barely squirted out. I thougt it might have more use as a Nerf gun.
Super Soakers are hard to get apart!

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:40 pm

Um... If it sucked, then there was something wrong with it. You should be able to get a nice thick stream from any CPS soaker. Although, you're a nerfer and nerf guns get more range, so it may only appear to suck. It should have at least gottin 30 angled, though.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:57 am

You should try Water Warriors guns. They are real good. Not that I'm saying Storms are bad ;) . But seriously, is something wrong with your 1200? That gun should be real good.
EV Nova: - http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/
"A CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!" *Takes 'em home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.* -"snap!"- "A Max-D trigger!""

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:23 am

Flannel wrote:I always thought that Nerf and Supersoakers were of mutual interest/similarity. Are people here like "nerf vs. supersoaker", or like Airsofters dislike Nerfers=Supersoaker people dislike Nerfers?
Well, you'll find that most people here prefer using Super Soakers - I enjoy both, but primarily Super Soakers. I wouldn't say there's too much Nerf disdain, however; I'd say that it's more common for Nerfers to look down on Super Soakers. That doesn't make them too popular if they try to start a Nerf-crusade here. ;)

As for airsoft and paintball, we don't seem to attract a lot of attention from ones in those sports - or at least, such ones here tend to be reasonable.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:29 am

Welcome to SSCentral.

I found a boat load of storm guns at Dic.k's (word filter avoidance) Sporting Goods last year. They still are around, just rare.
I don't check this forum anymore.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:44 am

RacerSoaker445 wrote:Welcome to SSCentral.

I found a boat load of storm guns at Dic.k's (word filter avoidance) Sporting Goods last year. They still are around, just rare.
What word filter? What would happen?

Dick's Sporting Goods. :confused:
"A CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!" *Takes 'em home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.* -"snap!"- "A Max-D trigger!""

m15399

Post by m15399 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:06 am

Many forums filter out obscene language. Apparently SSC does not, or the filter does not work.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:13 am

m15399 wrote:Many forums filter out obscene language. Apparently SSC does not, or the filter does not work.
What if your name is Dick? That would not be good. :mad: I think Ben turned off the word filter, though.