Original Lonnie Johnson Prototype Super Soaker

General water gun discussion.
Solscud007

Original Lonnie Johnson Prototype Super Soaker

Post by Solscud007 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:12 am

Hey guys. I just joined this forum after I found a CPS 3200 today at a flea market for $2. I used to have the CPS 2000 back as a kid.

Anyway I thought you might enjoy these pics I took last month when I was in Chicago's Science and Industry Museum.

There was a display for Lonnie Johnson's Super Soaker prototype. Can you home made gurus figure out how to replicate this? I have higher res copies of the close up pcis if you need them.

Specter

Re: Original Lonnie Johnson Prototype Super Soaker

Post by Specter » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:10 pm

That yellow and blue one is my XP-70!
i wish i could have that soaker again.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:12 am

Hmmm...copying the prototype would be interesting. But performance is likely to be poor compared to most homemade designs.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:55 am

Interesting photos Solscud007! Unfortunately that does not appear to be the original prototype. See the attached image for a reasonably high resolution composite photograph taken from a History Channel special on toys. I intended to use this for the water gun history pages here that I never got around to writing. The date on the file says 2006 so that was a while ago.

There's also iSoaker.com's history page with a lower resolution photo: http://www.isoaker.com/Info/history_supersoaker.html

I'd be interested in a reproduction of the original. If I recall correctly there was some discussion here about just that in the last two years.
Attachments
composite.jpg

Solscud007

Post by Solscud007 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:23 am

Oh wow. yeah I was lookin at my pictures and couldnt figure out the pump system. But nin your picture, i can see how the polycarb holds the bottle. Im a little confused as to what is going on in the long PVC pipe. I can see what looks like a SS50 handle for the pump. and the tune coming out the back to pump air into the bottle. but where does the water go to be released by the trigger and then out the "nozzle"

also what did he use for a trigger?

This is a real shot in the dark, but has anyone looked at the patent for the super soaker prototype? Dont patents list the components and how it is made? Or better yet, has anyone tried to just contact Mr. Johnson for info on how to make a replica of his prototype.

Im not interested in the power performance of the prototype. I just want to make my own replica o the original. Kinda like people like makin their own R2D2 etc.

I found some interesting stuff by looking up his patent numbers. sadly nothing about the prototype.

But dunno if you have these images.

If you go to his website and look at the list of his patents.

http://www.johnsonrd.com/ie/lj/ljprofile.html

Then copy the number and paste it in here: (The patent you see below is his Water Arrow Bow) pretty cool concept. You could probably make one from a nerf Bow-n-arrow.
http://www.wikipatents.com/5332120.html

Remove the commas from the numbers and then search. you can look up the patent papers.
Last edited by Silence on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: triple post

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:37 am

Wow, that looks pretty cool.

I believe the long barrel was simply used for looks and as a guide for the pump handle, and it still looks good today.

Early, production Super Soakers used pinch valves on flexible tubing for the trigger.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:06 am

The water box patent is a VERY interesting find. That weapon is mentioned on isoaker, but little is known about it - no-one in the community seems to have one.

In the prior art section, there is also mention of elastic pressure. Given Hasbro's recent efforts to claim it as theirs, the fact that one of the Super Soaker patents itself admits Larami did not invent elastic pressure is damning. (Though Hasbro may have dropped that assertion - cylindrical elastic bladders are now seen in Water Warriors)

You can also see proof of an adage I've heard in reference to patents - "Tell 'em what you're going to tell 'em, tell 'em what you're tellin' 'em, tell 'em what you told 'em"
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Solscud007

Post by Solscud007 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:20 pm

as you can see, the Water Bow looks like a modified Nerf Bow and arrow.
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/thenerfer/R ... 20Size.jpg

If you read the description and explanation of the Water Bow, there is a plunger and tube. The handle in the back pulls back, just like the Nerf version, and then the plunger compresses a spring. You release the handle and the piston/plunger flies forward to hit the pinch valve. Only issue I see is that the pinch valve spring must be very strong otherwise the plunger head and spring will keep the valve open and let all the pressurized air out.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:36 pm

Here's a pic of the Super Soaker bow... wish I got my hands on one; I believe Chris Reid has one. :p

:cool:
Attachments
ss_bow.jpg
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

Solscud007

Post by Solscud007 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:00 pm

I don't suppose we can get pics of the internals?