Water Balloons (more uses than you think)

General water gun discussion.
Jarathor

Water Balloons (more uses than you think)

Post by Jarathor » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:17 am

For the past few weeks I have been testing water balloons trying to find the best methods for using them. I have found two distinct things that you can do to increase the strength, range, and blast radius of a water balloon.
Using Helium Balloons
This is something that I hope many of you have already discovered. You can fill any balloon with water, even the large helium quality balloons, and they will still work. If you don't fill them up enough, the rubber won't be firm, and it will slip out of your hands as you try to throw it. If you can throw one though, the blast radius is up to three times that of an ordinary water balloon.
Detonate in air
If you fill an ordinary water balloon, you can still twist it in the center, like a balloon animal. I found that if you twisted it 20-30 times, the balloon will explode in mid-air. PRetty useful for soaking a crowd, no?
Water balloon Rocket
I was able to fit 7 balloons, one inside the other quite easily. If you fill them until they are firm, they will shoot off 50-75 feet in midair. I'm not sure how useful this would be, but if you could get a sponge on the end, you could easily get someone wet far away. It also soaks a large area when it launches, so throwing it into a crowd is also a good idea. You could also use it to send messages, or as a signal, etc. to help your team communicate.

Well, I just thought I would share my findings... I am still testing, with 500 more balloons to go. If you have any other ideas for different ways to use water baloons, post them here. :)

Cyber_Gun

Post by Cyber_Gun » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:35 am

Well you could stick emm in one of those water baloon launchers and go from there. You could also go on top of a tree or something and when someone walks buy drop it on there head. Oh and you can take and through a cheap easy to pop one in the air and shoot it with a heavy water gun. that should frovide a good blast radious when it hits the ground.
Overall when me and my bro were using water baloons though they wern't good I must fo thrown 10 and missed every time since there so easy to dodge. Then when it hit him it bounced off and broke without splashing him so you are right they are not as good as everyone wants them to be. Mabey in the hands of a good shot they would be deadly but not for me.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:38 pm

To my knowledge, trying to get water balloons to pop in the air is a waste of time. It's hard (if not impossible) to reliably time when the balloon will pop, and it could easily pop in your hand as you throw it. However, shooting a balloon in mid-air might work, though it could prove a bit hard and awkward to do. Also, you might as well just throw it at somebody's feet...

Lightbulb41

Post by Lightbulb41 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:05 pm

Or you could fill them partially with soda and some with water so that when you throw them... Your enemy is sticky for a long time. :)

It wouldn't be a bad I idea just to put them in a massive compressed air cannon and fire them.

and for sending messages

WHAT THE HECK!!! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT BY ROCKETS... Isn't that what walkie talkies or cell phones are for?
You can get more with a kind word and a gun than just a kind word.

I trade mobility for firepower. Accuracy for strengh. And Stealth for Intimidation.

Jarathor

Post by Jarathor » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:23 pm

Well, I couldn't think of any other use for using the rockets besides for the fact that it looks cool when they launch...heh. Also, you could attach a pop-cap, like for those old toy guns, to one, covered by a piece of plastic, to distract the enemy. Just launch 4 of them in the woods near the enemy camp, and they should explode with a lot of noise. Also, the twisting the balloons in the middle method could be coupled with the string method, to reliably pop them in mid-air over someone's head. All you would need to do is tie the string in the center on the twist, and when you throw it, pull hard nd it should come apart right on cue.

Lightbulb41

Post by Lightbulb41 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:19 pm

The problem with twisting them in my case is that i rely on hevay firepower. Twisting the balloon would mean it pops before it reaches my target.

I rely on cannons. Plain and simple.
You can get more with a kind word and a gun than just a kind word.

I trade mobility for firepower. Accuracy for strengh. And Stealth for Intimidation.

00chapin00

Wb

Post by 00chapin00 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:22 pm

A great use for water balloons is to fill it partially with water, partially with shaving cream, and put a bit of clay in it. You shake it well and set it where you want quickly. It will explode after ten seconds and make a mess out your enemy or their fort.