A couple of questions

General water gun discussion.
Goldfish4209

A couple of questions

Post by Goldfish4209 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:16 pm

Decided to combine 2 of my questions into 1 post.

1. On the SSC review of the CPS 1500 it says there are four marks and they all perform differently. How does the CPS 1700 compare to the marks? Which one does it perform like?

2. random question, which is better: spherical or cylindrical CPS. Or are they the same?

SSCBen

Re: A couple of questions

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:24 pm

From what I know the CPS 1700 is similar to the last mark of CPS 1500. With that being said I've always considered the thought that there are 4 different versions to be based on anecdotal evidence. There never was much description of the differences. I bet there were two or three versions at most, not four, because the only real differences between some of them was power. It's more likely that whoever listed the marks for those water guns (I believe it was Maxstar from Aqua Nexus) had a few CPS 1500s that performed differently and he just called them different marks.

As for what's better between cylindrical or spherical CPS, it depends on what you want. Modifying a spherical chamber to be thicker is much easier than modifying a cylindrical chamber. But, cylindrical chambers by themselves are easier to make homemade because you can take simple latex tubing and use it as that. Layering balloons never worked as well in my experience but it's still an option. The shape of the water gun matters too. If you want a lot of water capacity cylindrical chambers make more sense because water guns typically have a lot of length. Spherical chambers can get very tall when you want more capacity.

Goldfish4209

Post by Goldfish4209 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:59 pm

Sorry, I should have worded the second question differently. I meant, which is more powerful. I guess they're around the same, but I've always thought of cylindrical as better, power-wise, because the CPS 2000 and most CPHs are cylindrical CPS.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:02 pm

They're both capable of the same pressure and therefore the same power. However, LRT is more easily available than hundreds of balloons. The form factor is better too with cylindrical and I bet that's why it was used on the CPS 2000. As I said, length is easier to work with than width or height.

However if you want high pressure and larger internal diameter then spherical is the only way to go at the moment. Balloons can stretch over rather larger tubing barbs.