Arctic Blast vs. Flash Flood

General water gun discussion.
DJIA305

Arctic Blast vs. Flash Flood

Post by DJIA305 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Hello, everybody!

I have been trolling around here for the last 2 or 3 days, largely in part of the fact that I have a huge water war this coming Friday for my last day of summer camp. I had no idea there was this huge sub-culture following of water guns! Makes me wish I hadn't broken my SS 50 from back in the day!

But anyway, here is my humble review of these two weapons, which I just got back from trying out head-to-head at work an hour ago.

Today, I used my Arctic Blast and Aqua Backpack for the first time. I bought this from Target at 30% off. The backpack was only $5.99 at Toys R Us. I loaded the AB with ice cubes and then proceeded to fill it up w water as well as the back pack. BTW, it's kind of hard to twist/untwist the backpack nozzle.

So I went to the camp pool and tried it out on the kids in the pool.... they were screaming because the stream was so cold!!! They looked like this :eek:

At dismissal time, this is where I pitted up the AB to my supervisor's FF. Me and my co-worker stood next to each other, pumped an equal amount of times, and shot 1st the regular stream. The regular stream shot a little farther on the AB, we said it was about 15% better. However, the flood shotgun blast was clearly better on the FF, I would say about 20% - 25% better, stronger.

I also felt the power of the FF blast, when a camper took the FF and shot me point-blank on my side :eek:

The main thing, though is that we both agreed the AB was built much, much better. The pump felt much better on my AB, the one on the FF seemed, well, cheap.

I bought my AB at Target for $16 w/o tax, the FF was only $9.99 after a discount.

For the few extra dollars, I think I made a good choice. However, I am strongly considering getting a FF just because of the tremendous shotgun blast effect. The one on the AB is not bad at all though. I just think it's cool to have a bunch of different guns.

Also, my backpack connected to the FF, which originally I didn't think it would, however it was empty at the time so I don't know if it would fill the FF up. It was very hard to remove the backpack nozzle from the FF.

Allrighty, guys, this my humble review of these two guns, coming from someone that has found a new love for water guns. Please let me know what you think! Also, feel free to chime in with your experiences with these two guns.

I will give you guys another review when my used CPS 2500 comes in!!!!

cantab

Re: Arctic Blast vs. Flash Flood

Post by cantab » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:56 pm

I'm guessing your Flash Flood is orange. That's the newer version, works with the backpack. The original, green, one didn't.

I've only used the AB. However. isoaker.com found the FF to outrange the AB on both nozzles. The big blast is definitely better, because the FF has a larger pressure chamber and a dead straight line through to the nozzle. There's a slight bend in the AB, which saps power, and the PC is smaller in the first place.

I think there are some issues with the FF and the backpack making the reservoir collapse in on itself. Just be careful.

AB has the better looks IMHO.

Also, don't count on either gun being as well built as you'd hope. The basic design of the nozzle valves makes them prone to breaking, and that the gun has two means twice the risk. It's not too hard to fix, but a nuisance. The flood nozzle on my AB is broken now, after very little use.

Both guns, while not spectacular compared to the CPSes of old, are certainly among the very best for their size.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

DJIA305

Post by DJIA305 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:08 am

...so I just got back from Target and bought the orange FF for $9.98 :)

This is just in case I don't get my CPS 2500 on time for my huge water fight on Friday.

BTW, I noticed on the back of the FF box that it says the gun has the CPS technology.... how is this so? Nowhere does it say it has the Max Infusion technology. On the front it says something about it being a Target exclusive.... what gives????

Specter

Post by Specter » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:36 am

it uses a latex cylinder only much smaller than the original cps guns. Target puts those "exclusive" stickers on alot of toy items so they make you think you can't get it anywhere else.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

CROC

Post by CROC » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:48 am

Actually, the cases of the collapsing reservoir were because of tightening the cap too much. I have used it, and it works perfectly fine on my FF. Just loosen the cap a little when you put it on, otherwise the vacuum will destroy it's reservoir, and you have to make your own.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:19 am

Well remember you can load ice cubes into the FF as well. (well duh)

I have limited experience with AB's, but the FF is clearly designed better in terms of nozzles, PC angling, and power. Personally, I like its style a lot better as well; it has more of a tactical look while the AB looks almost goofy and doesn't even have a foregrip. However, its more well built and I bet the triggers won't break as easily nor as quickly as on the FF.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:50 am

DJIA305 wrote:...so I just got back from Target and bought the orange FF for $9.98 :)

This is just in case I don't get my CPS 2500 on time for my huge water fight on Friday.

BTW, I noticed on the back of the FF box that it says the gun has the CPS technology.... how is this so? Nowhere does it say it has the Max Infusion technology. On the front it says something about it being a Target exclusive.... what gives????
"CPS" refers to the use of a rubber bladder that expands when water is pumped in, then contracts pushing the water out the nozzle when you open the valve. The main advantage is less dropoff in power towards the end of the shot. The FF and AB both use it. However, their PCs are rather smaller than those in the original CPS line.

"Max Infusion" is just a marketing name for a range of Super Soakers. The only notable feature is the fill caps designed to connect to the addon backpacks.

"Max-D" refers to a 2002 line of blasters (numbered 2000 through 6000) that introduced a new trigger system, that feels 'clicky', is supposed to increase performance, but breaks more easily. The "Max-D trigger" or "Max-D valves" have also been used in all Super Soakers that have valves since.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:09 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central, and thanks for the comparison! I believe Ben has said he prefers the Arctic Blast, too.

If I had a choice I would go with original Flash Flood over the Max Infusion remake and the Arctic Blast. The latter two are a little too chunky looking for me.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:43 pm

I thought the only differences between the SoakerTag Elite and Max Infusion Flash Floods were the colour and the latter having a slightly larger cap. Are there others?
Arsenal:

coolocat

Post by coolocat » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:47 pm

I think the arctic blast is better. I think the flood blast on the AB travels a bit further than the FF but the FF's is more coherent perhaps I am wrong. I also believe it was said somewhere on these forums that the AB is easier to mod.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:46 pm

A related, but slightly different question I'd like to ask opinions on.

I already have an Arctic Blast. Is it worth getting a Flash Flood as well, or should I spend my money on something else?
Arsenal:

DJIA305

Post by DJIA305 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:10 pm

No.

I only exchanged my ABs for FFs because the FFs were on clearance for $10 and then $5.
So save ur money... unless you can find the FF for $5 like I did :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***New to Super Soaking!*** Arsenal: SS Arctic Blast (nevermind I just returned it), SS Flash Flood, SS Max Infusion BackPack x 2, SS CPS 2500, SS Hydro Blitz.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:17 am

As to your first question (which I must have missed), I think the only differences are aesthetic. The old Flash Flood has more solid and less patchy color, so it doesn't look as chunky. The Arctic Blast just is chunky.

I haven't seen any side-by-side comparisons of the Flash Flood and Arctic Blast, and even that would need a few samples thanks to outliers. Performance-wise, opinions seem to be mixed. Once again, go with aesthetics, which isn't much of a reason to buy another. :cool:

DJIA305

Post by DJIA305 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:54 am

Having owned both and compared them side-to-side directly, I would rather go with the FF just because the price is much cheaper (you can't beat $5 for a FF), and the riot blast is stronger. I felt the AB is built better, and yes its easier to add ice cubes in there but you can do that to the FF, or any gun for that matter.
Not to diss anyone, but those that have only tried one and not the other shouldn't say which they think is better. This is why we get mixed reviews. I have given my unbiased opinion, as well as my co-workers that tried them both out with me, even the kids that got soaked themselves seemed to prefer the FF.

So, in the battle between the FF and AB, it is in my opinion that the FF wins!

To recap:

Price: FF wins
Build: AB wins
Riot Blast: FF wins undoubtedly
Regular Stream: AB wins, not by much
Overall Performance: FF wins
Last edited by DJIA305 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***New to Super Soaking!*** Arsenal: SS Arctic Blast (nevermind I just returned it), SS Flash Flood, SS Max Infusion BackPack x 2, SS CPS 2500, SS Hydro Blitz.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:11 am

PS: I live in the UK, so prices based on the US are a bit irrelevant to myself. The Arctic Blast cost me £20 in a bricks&mortar store (Argos); I could get the Flash Flood for £21 including P&P from eBay.
Arsenal: