Ben and your Air Pressure Homemade

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Silence

Post by Silence » Tue May 30, 2006 8:15 pm

You could have just posted this question in "Questions about the APH."

The materials list appears to have all the neccessary items, except the tools you'll need to build the thing--you can borrow them or buy them as a one-time investment. To my admittedly minimal knowledge, all you'll need are a hacksaw, scissors to cut the tape, a drill for the nozzles, and that's about it...though there are a few other power tools that might make cutting and everything easier. Your question is somewhat vague, so it would be more helpful if we knew what you thought was left out...

Where the backpack mod article talks about a drawstring, it refers to cutting that out if the trashbag has one. Many trashbags (especially the sturdier ones) do have drawstrings that are threaded through a loop around the lip of the bag, but they aren't needed and will just get in the way if they're used in a trashbag backpack. So no, thread isn't used in the design at all.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue May 30, 2006 10:30 pm

Please post your questions in the thread you started first. All posting elsewhere does is make me move your questions there.

Every PVC piece and pipe required is in the guide from my quick glance. If you believe any specific parts are missing, please ask.

On the backpack: There are two different definitions for thread. Pipe threads are the parts that allow you to screw-on something. The other definition is a thin string. I was referring to the first definition. Remove everything but the screw-on top part.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue May 30, 2006 11:07 pm

Yes, you do need the cap, especially given that I say you will use the cap later.

supersoaker

Post by supersoaker » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:33 am

Ben wrote: Every PVC piece and pipe required is in the guide from my quick glance. If you believe any specific parts are missing, please ask.
I don't think you have the T joints? (That's not what they're called, but It's PVC, there are 2 of them and it sort of looks like this: _|_ but, you know bigger and made of pvc)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:19 am

There's three Tees and they are listed appropriately (1 1/2" PVC Tee, 2 3/4" PVC tees). This isn't hard people - they're listed right there. I don't want to sound mean or anything, but I can't help you much when you have problems reading the article. I just want everyone to know that because I can't be there with you to help. Some people seem to expect that. ;)

supersoaker

Post by supersoaker » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:01 pm

I only saw 1 1/2 inch tee, sorry :eek: Well, I guess it does have everything then...
And where do you get your check valves? (I'm in ontario canada if that helps) I've got everything but those darn check valves!
Last edited by supersoaker on Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling

CROC

Post by CROC » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:06 pm

supersoaker- My friend got some check valves, he lives in Ontario too. Try looking in a rona. They have brass check valves, but if you can find the spring type of check valve, that would be better.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:40 pm

Problem with the check valves in rona is that they're 3/4" or 1". To copy Ben's design you'll need 1/2" check valves, though I changed the design a bit and got the 3/4" check valves.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:00 pm

I suspect you moved the 3/4-1/2" bushing to before the second check valve, correct? Unfortunately, you would need two more and correct fittings or a reducer for the second valve. I'm just posting to make sure you didn't intend to use a 3/4" pump tube--that would be hard to create pressure with, and you'll see a note in the Pepper's Homemade article pointing to the wide pump as the source of poor pressure.

Actually, they might even have reducing tees--the sides are 3/4", and the middle is 1/2". Now that would be perfect!

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:04 pm

Sadly, I couldn't find any 3/4"-1/2" coupling, so I stuck with 3/4" tubing for everything. So my pump shaft is 1/2", though my pump tube is 3/4". So I do fear my homemade will be similar to Pepper's, though my PC's will be bigger than his, as I'm considering 4" PC's.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:44 am

Well, all I can say is to keep on looking (if you want decent performance, that is)! Who knows, even once you do find good couplers/reducers/bushings/etc., you can keep this as a fast-pressurizing shotgun sidearm.

Just a note, though--the fittings Ben used and the ones I came across are bushings. Basically, one end is a spigot and has the same OD as 3/4" pipe; thus, it fits right into the tee for the first PC. The other end is just a socket, so you use glue and fit 1/2" PVC into it. Ask at plumbing stores (I understand you probably don't have a Lowes or The Home Depot), and you just might come across the right part.