Advice on Good Team Weapons

General water gun discussion.
zeda.beta

Advice on Good Team Weapons

Post by zeda.beta » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:52 pm

Hello,
Anyone have advice on what weapons I can equip grunts with? I was thinking along the lines of the vaporizer or the Flash Flood, but the weapons have to be easy to use.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

steelboot

Re: Advice on Good Team Weapons

Post by steelboot » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:42 pm

XP 270's are excellent grunt weapons. They are available in stores in stores in twin packs.
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:30 pm

It depends on the situation and who you're warring with. In my wars, anyone with a 270 will get soaked pretty quickly, thus very light soakers are reserved for, say, water balloon launcher crews.

The Flash Flood or Vindicator should work well for grunts, since both are still fairly light soakers. The Vindicator's a bit heavier, but probably not much more than a CPS 1000. (which is also pretty light)

If the light CPS's are still too heavy, the FF would work well enough. The XP270 is a bit weak, but should work well for light-soaker-only wars. The XP310, Max-D 6000, or a medium Water Warriors (such as a Tiger shark) will do the job better than a 270 though.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:38 pm

Yeah, I plan on telling them to get FF's, that way they at least have some potential for soaking the other team. @Steelboot: I think that the XP 270's are great for backup guns, and we pretty much only have small soaking wars, the biggest gun is usually either my friend's Vindicator or my CPS 2100.
-Zeda
Quack damn you.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:55 am

Well, the flash flood's are all over $30 on ebay and amazon, so I am probably just going to wait until the season actually starts. But will a vindicator hold up against two flash floods? If not, then what loadout do you reccomend for a fight involving three flash floods and a Vindicator. I am so angry right now! My friend says that he has a CPS 2000 that has been sitting in his garage! At least if it is broken, he says I can have it. :p
-Zeda
Quack damn you.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:09 am

If you are facing 3 FF's and a vindicator, equip your team with tiger sharks or vindicators. the tiger shark is about equal to a FF, and the vindicator has phenomenal power for a post 2002 soaker. A blazer/expedition with the fan blast drilled out might work well too.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:30 pm

Expect the Flash Flood to still be quite expensive once it starts showing in the shops. At least in the UK, they seem to want to price it higher than the Shot Blast. We don't get the HydroBlitz, so the Flash Flood is our top-end Super Soaker.

I believe the only new blaster you can get that will match the Vindicator is another Vindicator. However, it would probably take a skilled Vindicator user to beat two decent FF users. Arguably, the FF requires a bit of skill, in knowing when it is and isn't suitable to use the blast.

Modding the Flash Flood so that the flood nozzle becomes a stream can be good. You basically glue pipe on that takes drilled endcap nozzles. I think the deadspace is quite bad, but you can still get a good thick soaking stream. I did a similar mod to my Arctic Blast, using the neck of a pop bottle and drilled caps, and it looked promising, but other issues (b0rked valve) stopped me testing the full power.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:09 pm

The good news is that both are only $20, at least where I am, so I will just tell them to get vindicators instead. Unless they re-release the XP 70, because that was a great scouting gun.
-Zeda
Quack damn you.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:59 pm

The difference between blasters like the Vindicator and FF is fairly trivial from a tactical standpoint as the Vindicator's additional range from the FF is probably less than the range difference of the Vindicator and a high end CPS.

Get them to get a mix of FF's and Vindicators, that's what I would do. Having a sidearm can't hurt either.

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 pm

@C-A_99: Tiger Sharks are indeed good weapons to equip a team with, I wonder why I didn't think of that before. However, both of mine that I had broke within one month so I have doubts about their durability. I still recommend them.

@zeda.beta: My wars are usually pretty and small too, which is why I recommended the 270, and also the XP 70, which I used to own and is probably even better than the 270. You can actually hold the 70 or the 270 weapon in one hand, full, and sprint at full speed. The stream is pretty weak, but sometimes grunt weapons need to be weak and reliable. marauder_4 praises the XP 70, which is basically the same as the 270, for being only what it needs to be, and also stating that it is "one of the best, if not the BEST close quarter combat weapon out there." Click here.

Good luck!
Last edited by steelboot on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:37 am

I must've gotten a good Tiger Shark, as it has held up for over 2 years. I'd expect the trigger to start having problems like my Orca was, but it hasn't been a real issue yet. Lubricating ball valves on BBT blasters often fixes the valve closing problem.

Defining an effective CQB soaker varies for all situations. Every single long-range soaker is effective at short range as well, given the shooter can aim fast and effectively for low shot-time blasters. A FF is often argued to be one of the most effective CQB soakers but the flood function has no use in 1 hit soak games. Lastly, as reliable as the old XP's are, they are also the weakest. Even in CQB, stream potency can make a difference.

I don't like strictly defining soakers as CQB though. Using specialized blasters for close quarters is pretty useless particularly when in a situation where long range may be needed in occassional situations. (which is nearly always the case unless you're having a water war indoors only) Plus, the range difference of effective soakers (or what we decide is effective) for close quarters and long range soakers is not that significant.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:05 pm

My Tiger Shark was a lemon when I bought it. The valve seems to turn 'too far', meaning it partly closes again. This makes the big stream severely underpowered. Took a long time to realise it, I assumed the gun was like that anyway. I haven't got round to fixing it (I'll probably just bodge a trigger stop on the outside so it pulls the valve to the full open position.)
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:00 am

With CQB soakers, like the splat blaster, they are designed to complement another main weapon in your arsenal, or to be used in rooms and the like.
-Zeda
Quack damn you.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:20 pm

May I suggest the Renegade. It's smaller than the Vindicator, still packs a powerful punch, and weighs more than the FF. It needs a strap, but that's an easy fix.

Also, the Equalizer is decent. Those are what I use for grunts, and they match up okay with CPSes (only the smaller ones, though).
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:14 am

Wait, you're telling me that I should take my Equalizer up against a CPS 1200 and the like? I better bring another change of clothes if I try that...
-Zeda
Quack damn you.