Beginner CPH--n00b friendly!

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
The Stealthy Panda

Beginner CPH--n00b friendly!

Post by The Stealthy Panda » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:12 am

It's no secret that CPH construction isn't documented well enough. You have to search for ages, or bribe the search engine (or have someone provide a link) to find the plans for one. This is not the problem that I intend to solve. I don't even know why I'm writing about it.
I'll cut to chase. I invented the simplest CPH ever. It consists of a PC, a ball valve, a quick-fill nozzle, and a nozzle that screws into the quick-filler. Here's an artist's (actually mine) rendering:

AAAAUUUUUGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!Why can't I upload pictures from PVC Designer?!
Well, I'll try to describe it. It has a 3" PC case about 1 1/2' to 2' long, with a PC made out of those long clown balloons. In front of the PC there is a 1" ID ball valve, and in front of that there is a socket-weld-to-thread adaptor, which functions as the quick-fill nozzle, and the nozzle, which uses male threads instead of female threads, screws into that.
Hail Reeen! (Reeen is not a typo)

Specter

Post by Specter » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:07 am

go back and rename the images *name*.bmp; it claims to save it as a bmp file but it doesn't work. And for ones not saved yet, make sure you put the .bmp when you save it. Then you can upload it. i figured this out yesterday when i made my drawings
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:05 am

Open it up in paint, crop it, and save it as a .jpg or .png (.bmps are unecessarily large, don't use them)

If you can't get pics to save in PVC designer, use print screen (key next to F12) and paste it in paint, then crop it from there.

Also, such a design would lack a pump and therefore be limited on water supply. It could work, but requires the hose anyway. (similar idea to some of the SC supported soakers)

The Stealthy Panda

Post by The Stealthy Panda » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:43 am

Okay, I got the picture (I think):
No, it was 890 KB and the limit is 98 KB. I'll try a JPEG.
Apparently, it exceeds my quota, even though I haven't posted any attachments. Ugh. I guess I'll try GIF.
OK, I guess my quota is zero. UGH. :mad:

Specter

Post by Specter » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:36 am

or you can upload it to a site like imageshack or photobucket and post the image link from there. thats what i did
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

The Stealthy Panda

Post by The Stealthy Panda » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:04 pm

OK, I am now a proud member of photobucket. Cross your fingers, here's the link: http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x156 ... design.png
Hope this link finds you well. :) And, about the quick-fill problem, you just open the ball valve and screw the end onto a hose. No fancy equipment required. My friend and I tried this and failed miserably, but only because we made the PC out of inner tubes, and then jammed it in between two pipes with a hammer. We did, however, find a VERY nifty little metal ball valve (heh, heh, I said "nifty").
And, while I'm at it, here's the APH I just made, also. Maybe you guys can figure out what's wrong with it.
Never mind. My inferior geekiness depresses me. May Reeen forgive me.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:35 pm

Check out the Uploading Images thread in the future if any other problems come up. :cool:

No official CPH article has been uploaded to the site, but there should be one this summer. Search the forums for Ben's various CPHs.

I presume your quick-fill port consists of threads that can be screwed onto a hose. Sounds like a decent idea - just make sure twisting the entire water gun for screwing/unscrewing isn't too difficult.

I'm not sure exactly what pressure hose water has. It probably depends on your elevation more than anything, even more than it depends on the city. I live on a very elevated street (this area is quite hilly), and the water pressure in the faucets is noticeably lower than that for houses living only a couple "blocks" away.

At any rate, the hose probably won't be able to fill a 50 PSI bladder, no matter where you live. Thus, I recommend using LRT with an inner diameter of maybe 3/4" and another layer over that. That'll allow for a lot of flow inside the water gun.

Perhaps using an instrument to measure the hose water pressure before hand would be beneficial. At any rate, it's a neat design, and I hope it works out well! :cool: