Reliability Modifications for CPS 1500

Threads about water gun modifications.
11ilee

Reliability Modifications for CPS 1500

Post by 11ilee » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:38 am

Other than reinforcing the pump and trigger, are there any more reliability modifications for the CPS 1500 that would keep it from malfunctioning?

Thanks,
Isaac

Silence

Re: Reliability Modifications for CPS 1500

Post by Silence » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:57 am

I assume you've already seen this page. In that case, it looks like you're set. There are still a couple things that could break (like the trigger valve or even the bladder), but that's not likely unless you do power modifications. In any case, things like that would require part replacements, in which case you might as well make a homemade water gun. :cool:

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:04 am

So how can I prevent the trigger valve from breaking?

Is there an article that shows how to do so?

(By the way, what is a trigger valve?)

Thanks,
Isaac

Also for the pump reinforcement modification, do you just slide the pump out or do you have to open the watergun?
For the trigger reinforcement modification, do you have to open the watergun, put a metal strip on the trigger then close the watergun?

Also, is there a safe way to open a watergun so that no cosmetic damage is done?

Thanks,
Isaac
Last edited by Silence on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged double posts

CROC

Post by CROC » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:20 am

Not that I have seen, but those mods should do, unless your PC wears thin, or you have leaks. Then, not really. Try a rubber band repair (stick a broccoli elastic around the puller part of the valve). That's all I can think of.

The pump mod is easier to do with a gun opened, as opposed to a closed gun. Most of the older guns have a plastic piece over the pump (if its not tracked), and is easily removeable, unless it is glued, in which case you need to cosmetically scar the gun there.

Reinforcing the trigger valve (the part where the trigger actually attaches, where the water comes out pretty much) is as simple as coating it in epoxy putty.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:42 am

So practically for the pump modification, you pretty much open the watergun, take the pump off, stick a wooden dowel into the pump, stick the pump back in, and then close the watergun, right?

And for the trigger repair, you open the watergun, put epoxy on the trigger, then close the watergun, right?

Thanks,
Isaac

CROC

Post by CROC » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:05 am

That's basically the pump modification, just be sure not to cut the rowel before the hole on the pump, or else it will be pointless. There was a guide on iSoaker, but I cannot find it right now.

That is the trigger reinforcement, just don't cover anything that needs movement, like the pin on the trigger valve
-Croc

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:20 am

So, can you explain the rubber band modification with more detail?

Thanks,
Isaac

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:22 am

Silence wrote:I assume you've already seen this page. In that case, it looks like you're set. There are still a couple things that could break (like the trigger valve or even the bladder), but that's not likely unless you do power modifications. In any case, things like that would require part replacements, in which case you might as well make a homemade water gun. :cool:
I would say if the bladder bursts, which can happen with age and use on an unmodded gun, then it's definitely worth replacing it, since stock guns are far more ergonomic than most homemades, and (provided you can take the weight) can be aimed and fired one-handed.
If the trigger valve breaks, however, then unless you can make the replacement valve operated by the trigger, it might be less worth doing so.
Still, replacing a part is always going to be cheaper, and possibly less work, than building from scratch.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:05 pm

How do you make a replacement trigger valve?

Thanks,
Isaac

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:14 pm

If the current one works fine, then you don't.

If it's broken, you try and fix it.

Only if it's unfixable would you replace it. Usually people just use a ball valve, but that then makes it impossible to hold and fire the gun one-handed.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

CROC

Post by CROC » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:11 pm

Replacing it, would be putting a ball valve in its place. It would no longer be stock
-Croc

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:23 pm

I question the concern about reliability in the first place. I don't think the 1500 is a gun prone to breaking. For the most part, the pre-Max-D guns are highly reliable; it's the Max-D mechanism that is the most common part to break on guns which have it.
Arsenal:

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:47 am

I've read on some reviews that the CPS 1500 is extremely fragile and prone to breakage.

Thanks,
Isaac

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:41 am

From what I know the main problem with CPS 1500s is that the mesh screen can become misaligned, which'll make the gun shoot weird. The repair's on our website. I remember reading recently that simply sticking a screwdriver down the nozzle assembly though would straighten out the front screen if that's the problem one too, so you won't even have to open anything if that's the case.

If you want more of an explanation of the rubber band repair I'd suggest reading the page about it. All the rubber bands or springs would do is close the valve if it's not closing fully. That's all the rubber band repair does. You can do it to prevent a problem since it's rather simple and doesn't have any disadvantages, but if the gun's not broken it's going to do nothing except make your trigger a little harder to pull.

Unless you modified the water gun or the pressure relief valve is faulty, I see no reason to reinforce the firing valve. I've never heard of a valve breaking without modification or the pressure relief valve being faulty.

I have tried replacing firing valves with ball valves before and it works, but you don't have a trigger any longer. I'm considering making near duplicate replacement firing valves with stereolithography equipment in the future but it's at least a few months until that's possible. The ball valve replacement is simple and works. If the valve breaks it'll likely fracture along a point and I think epoxy in the crack with reinforcing metal strips and epoxy putty over that and on the crack on the inside should be stronger than the valve itself. I can make a drawing if you want one.

11ilee

Post by 11ilee » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:55 am

I think I'm going to need the drawing to fully understand this mod.

Thanks,
Isaac