Monster XL Modding

Threads about water gun modifications.
Josh

Monster XL Modding

Post by Josh » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:48 am

Despite having something like 3.5L of reservoir space, i was dissapointed with my water running out within a few shots.
So, after reading the modifications pages, I was interested in the colossus mod and the back pack mod.

Not wanting to break my Monster XL, I colossused both chambers with a single layer of bike tubing each. This took me 9 hours to do.
The first time, I took apart my Monster XL, and learned how it all worked and fitted together. I initially used 3 layers of bike tubing, but it required me to disable the pressure relief valve, which i did not want to do. So I decided to have the single layer.

Now to the backpack mod.
I bought myself a 20L solar shower, and cut a hole in an old backpack for the tubing to go out of. Using a juice lid and a LOT of electrical tape, I've made my own cap to lead to the backpack.
It works quite well, I'm pleased with it, but I would prefer some form of screw on cap rather than it being permanently affixed to the reservoir through electrical tape. I don't want to drill a hole in my original Monster XL cap, So i was wondering, are there any other caps from other cheap supersoakers that are virtually the same as the Monster XL cap?
I.E. same size, and will screw on water tight.

Also, wouldn't I have to turn the backpack or Monster XL in order to screw the cap on fully/unscrew the cap?(because it would twist the tube) This would not be an easy task with the size and weight of either of these objects.
Do other super soaker backpack caps have a specially designed cap that doesn't twist the tube when you screw the cap, but is still water tight?
Does anybody have any ideas on turning a regular cap into one like this?
Help greatly appreciated. :D
Thanks guys.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Re: Monster XL Modding

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:24 am

Nice sounding mod. Be careful to reinforce the t joint where the pump splits to the two chambers, that died on mine. That is if you add to the collosus. Most CPS soakers have the same cap in my experience, so if you can track down a cheap broken cps...
sorry, can't really help with the cap problem

Josh

Post by Josh » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:31 am

I'm sticking to the 1 layered colossus, and its not insanely powerful, so i'm thinking that it should be alright without reinforcement.
I read that extremely modded guns will eventually always break, which is why I want such minimal extra power :)

Does anybody have images or plans of how a backpack super soaker cap works?

Captain Galaxy

Post by Captain Galaxy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:15 pm

I don't know if the Monster XL would work for this, but I discovered that a 1/2" PVC endcap has the same threads as the cap for a Max-D 2000. Maybe something similar would work here.
Last edited by Captain Galaxy on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Long and Prosper

Josh

Post by Josh » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:27 pm

That's interesting, does anybody know if the Max-D 2000 cap works with the monster XL. :p

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:24 am

Max-D 2000 is a small gun. The caps on my CPSes are rather larger.

You could try a rubber bung with a tube through it, but that's not 100% secure.

For the turning problem, On the SC PowerPak, the screwed cap can freely rotate about the hose. On the Max-Infusion line, the backpacks attach using a sort of bayonet fitting, needing only a quarter turn.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier: