"Which modifications can I do to X water gun?"

Threads about water gun modifications.
SSCBen

"Which modifications can I do to X water gun?"

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 21, 2006 1:37 pm

This is yet another common question we receive here very often.

On each water gun review we have, we list potential modifications. However, everyone should know that many modifications are nearly universal and will not be listed in the reviews page. Check valve freezing comes in different varieties, but can be done to each type of water gun. Nozzle enlargement via drilling can be done to nearly every water gun as well. Capacity modifications are nearly universal as well, that is, when the reservoir is not pressurized. Pump lubrication, adding nozzle selectors, and several other modifications are universal as well.

One could also visit our modifications page and read the beginning of each article to determine whether or not the modification can be performed on their water gun. We try to make it easy for everyone to know which water guns these modifications apply to.

In the end, the question really shouldn't be which modifications can be done, it should be which modifications should be done, which is generally opinion and open to debate. Not every modification is ideal and not every modification should be done simply because it is a modification.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 21, 2006 3:28 pm

I will give some slightly more specific examples to support Ben's claim that not all modifications are neccessary. Choosing which (if any) modifications to do is all a matter of priorities: for example, the CVF increases the potential PSI/power of a soaker, but you also run the risk of destroying the soaker by overpumping; the K-mod can greatly increase power, but it will decrease the size of the reservoir; and enlarging your nozzle(s) can prevent you from conserving water when it is most needed.

I'm going slightly off topic, but a corollary to this rule is that everybody should thoroughly read every article and review before even touching the forums. Sure, it's a bit late to say that once you've seen this post, but if you haven't read all the articles, do so now. They will make you more aware overall, and that's what I did before I joined the forums. Take my word for it--it's just about the best crash course concerning homemade soaker and modification technology out there.

@ Ben: Maybe, while people get their account, they should be able to pass a short quiz concerning the main articles. That would be interesting, at the very least...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 21, 2006 3:53 pm

A quiz would make it harder for members to register, something I try to avoid. I want registration to be as easy as possible to obtain as many users as possible. I also dislike testing very much because I perform erratically on most standardized tests.

Now, that would be a neat idea for a simple quiz. Perhaps someone should put one together. With plenty of online quiz websites, that shouldn't be hard. The quiz itself could be called something like the "Water gun technology SAT" or anything to that effect.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 21, 2006 4:03 pm

I agree that you don't want registration to be a complex process, as I was very pleased with my registration process (not even a confirmation email :) !), but it really shouldn't take too long. If the registrant has done his or her homework and really knows the stuff, he will get done with a 10-question quiz (maybe 50% is passing) in no time at all. For those who haven't done their homework/studying, the relative article could have a link next to each question on the test; this will open in a new window, thus making this an open-book quiz. Basically, it will mean that the potential contributors will have read the material, whether before or after trying to register.

Alternatively, we could have a crash course in a stickied thread. I'll work on that sometime if you want me to, but it might only get done in the summer (2 weeks left for me), along with my PCgH.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sun May 21, 2006 5:19 pm

A more in depth guide for new persons:

Pressurized Reservoir
Check Valve Freeze
Reservoir Expansion/Backpack Mod
Multi Nozzle Mod
Nozzle Drill/Removal
Internal Reinforcement
Addition of a Strap
Addition of a Holster (Pistols)

Spherical CPS
Check Valve Freeze
K-mod
Plugging Ventilation Hole in PC Casing (may reduce life of PC)
PC Casing Removal/Expansion
Multi Nozzle Mod
Nozzle Drill/Removal
Internal Reinforcement
Addition of a Strap

Hydro Power
Check Valve Freeze
Plugging Ventilation Hole in PC Casing (may reduce life of PC)
Multi Nozzle Mod
Nozzle Drill/Removal
Internal Reinforcement
Addition of a Strap

Very little is known about the moddability of Hydro Power soakers. The following mods have not been heavily tested (if tested at all) and may damage your soaker.

PC Casing Removal/Expansion
Spring Mod
Rubber Sheet Mod

Separate Air Pressure PC
Check Valve Freeze
XPS Mod
Multi Nozzle Mod
Nozzle Drill/Removal
Internal Reinforcement
Addition of a Strap

Cylindrical CPS
Check Valve Freeze
Colossus
Multi Nozzle Mod
Nozzle Drill/Removal
Internal Reinforcement
Addition of a Strap
Addition of a Holster (Pistols)

I might add this article to my web site, along with a categorized listing of soakers.
Last edited by m15399 on Sun May 21, 2006 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 21, 2006 5:30 pm

Very nice, but don't forget about integration mods, piston power types (reservoir expansion is just about the only thing you can do), and the other unconventional soaker types. Also, if you expand a PR gun's reservoir, you'll have to pump a ton to create reasonable pressure; however, this might be solved by putting a check valve in the backpack hose (discussion, anybody? :p ). I usually don't point out minor spelling details, especially the one I'm about to point out, but if you're making an article, you should change "Collosus" to "Colossus." Everybody seems to spell it wrong, but it usually doesn't matter...

Excellent job--thorough enough to end all discussion in this thread, and now we'll just be adding suggestions to what you posted. Thanks.