I'm new, plus new repair!

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
BlueSmudge

I'm new, plus new repair!

Post by BlueSmudge » Tue May 11, 2004 4:55 am

WOW! This place is awesome. Sorry, I probably sound stupid, but I din't know anything like this existed. I have always been way into soakers. Since 1998! Anywayz, great to be here, I just fixed my awesome 1500. It had started to act like a piston gun. When I pumped, the water came out. I opened it up, and found the problem. First of all, the trigger wasnt completely conected to the trigger mechanism. Hot glue! Seconed the nozzle valve was no longer working correctly, I found the right place and...Hot glue!
While I was in there I did a K-mod. Thanks DoomSoaker for that modification, it's awesome!
Well yeah, great to be here, tell me if that repaor makes no sense.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net

Jangadance

Post by Jangadance » Tue May 11, 2004 5:34 am

If you want a good seal, hot glue isn't generally the best idea.

It is mainly used for more tame hobbies, like working with fabrics. It doesn't adhere to plastic well enough to make a good seal. But if it works for you, hey congrats. I reccomend Plumber's Goop or some sort of plastics epoxy. If it's 2 parts, make sure to mix it well first! Welcome to the website.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue May 11, 2004 9:48 am

Yes, welcome to SSC! I don't think that repair will last very long at all, hot glue has very little ability to hold pressure.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Tue May 11, 2004 5:28 pm

The hot glue really isn't doing much, plus all the places I used it the parts clip in place. The glue is just so they Don't come out. I think it will be fine. I was in a 3 hour battle on mothers day. The gun was stolen from me in the battle, and lasted in other people's hands who Don't even kow how to use it, so I think that it is holding very well.
BlueSoak.net

Xray

Post by Xray » Tue May 11, 2004 6:37 pm

Originally posted by Jangadance@May 11 2004, 12:34 AM
If you want a good seal, hot glue isn't generally the best idea.

It is mainly used for more tame hobbies, like working with fabrics. It doesn't adhere to plastic well enough to make a good seal. But if it works for you, hey congrats. I reccomend Plumber's Goop or some sort of plastics epoxy. If it's 2 parts, make sure to mix it well first! Welcome to the website.
Once again I point out that epoxy, although good, is a real hassle so don't bother with it.

Get some polyurethane (sp?) construction adhesive which is named "PL Premium". It is stronger than super glue, dries over night so you have time to wipe it off what you don't want glued - and comes in a cocking-tube so it is much easier than epoxy. It is basically liquid plastic - turns rock hard.

Beware: It can bond ANYTHING including Teflon. I have had to cut off a place-mat because a .5 by .5 cm spot stuck to it so well.

Its cheap and easy to find too...

-Blake

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue May 11, 2004 9:45 pm

I still haven't found any btw, epoxy people have been using for ages, other glues work good too, once I wanted to test something out quick so I used Hot Stuff (not hot glue) that dries about as strong as epoxy in like 20 minutes. Good stuff if you have no time. ;)

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Tue May 11, 2004 10:00 pm

Hot stuff......that sounds like good glue.
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups