Paint Jobs

Threads about water gun modifications.
Codex

Post by Codex » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:02 pm

Hi there,

I plan to paint my CPS 1500 but im unsure what kind of paint I should use. Any suggestions?

The other question is, how I should do the painting itself, especially the critical parts, like the reservoir cap and the nozzle. Is there a Tutorial or something around?

I would also be interested in pictures of already painted soakers, I'll put mine here too as soon as it is finished...

Greetings
Codex

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:08 pm

Paint Kind: Krylon Fusion, It is like an adhesive, the paint bonds down to a molecular level. I have a painted 1500, I'll get a pic of it.

What I did was take the whole thing apart, take the case off, disconnect the PC and reservoir, tape over the O-rings, and spray. Also, try and take the cap off. This means reaching in and pulling it out.

EDIT: Attached pic of all my soakers. The painted 1500 is at the top.
Attachments
MVC_018S.JPG
MVC_018S.JPG (59.85 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
I don't check this forum anymore.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:52 pm

Hmm, the tutorial I would have given you the link to is not online anymore. That's odd, I'll have to talk to webwoodrow about it.

Paint only the parts the need to be painted. The basically means only the visible stuff. Remember to cover up parts you don't want to get painted (like O ring as Racer said) with tape or something, I would recommend masking tape.

You will also want to sand the surface you are painting. That I find recommended by nearly everyone who paints. However, some paints, such as what Racer used, may not need that to work good.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:22 am

Just use spray paint. It works well and doesn't wash off. I used spray paint for my old max-d 6000 to make it camo. I didn't sand the surfaces first and I should have, because it can sXPBackfire-esquee off. Also, if you use spray paint, it takes less than 5 min. You should put tape over parts that you Don't want to get painted, and then take the tape off when you're done. Its a whole lot easier and faster then conventional paint.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:26 am

I havn't used it yet, because I'm saving up for paints, but I bought this stuff you spray on your gun (plastic) before you paint. It's like a primar. It makes it so you can paint it with anything, and it won't come off. Fingerpaint if you really want to. But I would still recommend a waterproof/resistant enamel paint just to be safe. The stuff cost me $7 US.
Just ask the guy at the hardware store in the paint department. They know stuff.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net
--------------------------------------------------------------

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:56 pm

Oh, if you are using the Fusion paint, make sure to do two coats of it on the PC and reservoir. If you don't, it sXPBackfire-esquees off showing the green.

blaze

Post by blaze » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:46 pm

My mom said this to me when I wanted to spray paint my Xbox controler, and it was that it is not safe to get that paint in your hands for extended periods of time. It is like your skin taking in all the chemicals. She didn't tell me what would happen if I did do it, but I imagine that your hand gets all lumpy and itchy and you die. I'm not saying that this will happen, I'm just saying that you should be cautious, and also it would be much better if you could find a way to paint the handle and pump that would be safer.

But I'm not stopping you. I don't know what will happen.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:56 pm

As Ive said before just go and get regular old spray paint. It is safer than others and even with regular paint, if you get it on yourself NOTHING HAPPENS! Your hands will not get bumpy, itchy and you will not die. That is laughable. Ive handled river fungus, poison ivy, and the such, and none of that has even affected me at all. The worst paint can do to you is give you a headache from the scent unless you swallowed it. Extended contact won't do anything. If you want to safely paint the pump and handle, then just spray it form a distance. Your "skin taking in all the chemicals" is not even as bad as you breathing in all the chemicals in the air! In otherwords, the air you breathe will do more harm than getting paint on your hands which you can avoid in the first place.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

light bulb boi

Post by light bulb boi » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:56 pm

Originally posted by DoomSoaker@Jun 5 2004, 12:52 PM
Hmm, the tutorial I would have given you the link to is not online anymore. That's odd, I'll have to talk to webwoodrow about it.
I just uploaded everything and now all the dead links are fixed. here is the link for my painting guide. http://www.soakage.net/tips/painting.html
Oh, if you are using the Fusion paint, make sure to do two coats of it on the PC and reservoir. If you don't, it sXPBackfire-esquees off showing the green.
I find that the krylon flat camo paint works the best. It doesn't chip, is non-reflective and sticks without primer or sanding.
-webwoodrow

Codex

Post by Codex » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:31 pm

Hi there!

thanks for all your help. Unfortunately I coudn't get that Krylon paint over here in germany. Therefore I sanded the gun and used some black spray-paint for plastics.

On the most parts it worked quite well, but it already begins crackeling off the reservoir. Maybe I'll try to get that krylon paint from somewhere ales and sand off the paint on the reservoir again...

So here is my result: A CPS 1500 in black/purple look with a attached red-dot sight. Tell me what you think... (.jpg file is attached)

When I decide to repaint the reservoir - should I sand off the old color or just paint over with krylon?

Greetings
Codex
Attachments
CPS1500.jpg
CPS1500.jpg (41.03 KiB) Viewed 1464 times

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:29 pm

I would paint over with Krylon, you will not have any crackeling from the paint that way.

By the way, Very nice job!