Colossus mod with balloons?

Threads about water gun modifications.
Negative

Colossus mod with balloons?

Post by Negative » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:31 pm

Would it be possible to do a colossus mod with balloons cut on both ends, instead of bike tubing? Bike Tubing seems to be too much of a hassle to obtain. That and the fact that I'm lazy. ;)

cantab

Re: Colossus mod with balloons?

Post by cantab » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:54 pm

I think it's been tried and doesn't really work.
But seriously, how hard are inner tubes to get? Just go to any bike shop. Are there none in your area?

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:33 pm

Yep, bike shops will unload tons of broken inner tubes if you ask them to. It's just like grease-run vehicles asking for used oil from fast food restaurants.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:41 pm

The main reason you don't want to use balloons with Colossus is because the shapes don't match. Balloons are not cylinder shaped. When one part is starts expanding it'll stretch the balloon, but the other part won't feel any resistance from the balloon. The chamber will then only expand on the part with least resistance (i.e. the curved part of the balloon). And the curve makes the displacement of the rubber uneven, so it gets more complicated. Basically, balloons are the wrong shape. You should use a cylinder shaped layer with a cylinder shaped pressure chamber.

You can get cylinder shaped balloons and I suppose they'd work, but typically they're small like balloon animal balloons. Condoms might work too as discussed before too.