Building some bases

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
MyStic

Post by MyStic » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:48 pm

I just got into super soakers last november,so I kind of got into it at a slowed down time :( I have started collecting soakers,and am designing and starting things such as my MBF(Multi Balloon Filler) and a few of nibor's infamous WBL's :)

Now I need to start collecting materials for the bases which I plan to build before spring when I have a HUGE water fight with a lot of people from my school. I can obtain pretty much anything you could possibly use in a base,unless of course its rather expensive,in which case I probably don't need it.

I have a large woods located behind my house which is perfect for water fights. The trees are nicely scattered to allow for cover while still allowing you to shoot freely. It also has a few completely open areas and several small streams. There is also plenty of fallen trees as extra cover ;) However,there are not any significant hills,just low slopes and shallow trenches.

Each base needs to be at least fairly big,and I am going need to make some sniper windows to shoot out of,and probably will end up making some flags and flag stands for a CTF match,but other than that I have no defined plans. Anybody have any ideas, or things they wanted to do with their base that they just couldn't for some reason?
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Geneva'>-MyStic

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:44 pm

I tried this. Go to Safeway or any other big grocery store and ask if they have any banana boxes. If so ask how many you can have. I like them because they are coated in a thin layer of waxy material and can be folded/unfolded at your new base for defenses.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:13 am

This should be in wars. Someone move it.

Back on topic. You're a very lucky person. You have a large wooded area at your disposal. I would also suggest doing things to the landscape. Like digging ditches among other things.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

MyStic

Post by MyStic » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:16 am

Thanks for the ideas. Sorry about the location of my post,I wasn't completely sure where to place it :( Sorry for the inconvenience
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Geneva'>-MyStic

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:47 am

Moving to Wars.

As for your base, what you could do is build one near a stream so the stream protects you to some extent. Then dig a canal from the stream to your base for refilling purposes.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:36 pm

I personally don't like putting bases anywhere near streams, I prefer to go quite a way away so the enemy has to run back, that way the attacks don't last as long. First collect materials such as those banana boxes and also a lot of rope of varying sizes. Also try to keep large 5l bottles. When you do construct the base, take a toolbox, I can't stress that enough. Saw (for using natural things like trees(dead first of course)), hammer (although don't use nails), chisel (construct joits properly) and a knife for the string. I have made a few bases and I can tell you that using just a penknife with a saw attachment isn't fun.

Also a base is to be constructed if you intend to use it much, you don't pile things up dammit. Ok, first construct the outer walls, then sweep out any leaves or anything inside and camoflage it. Use some of the stuff from inside to camoflage as much as you can. Remember, don't go too far for camoflage materials, only use what's around. Then sort the water supply, I generally suspend the large bottles high up (I ALWAYS use woods). I do this to booby trap (no, not dropping them on their head) , I am going to write an article on booby traps soon so refer to that when possible. Also try to get friends to help, bases take a while to construct.
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

vaporizer28

Post by vaporizer28 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:56 pm

Find some small trees that have fallen down, and move them in front of a small cluster of trees, and dig a ditch behind the fallen tree, and hide in it like a spider hole that the Japanese used in WWII. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I think this is right.)

^This was made by Superstormer. What, do you think it got here on its own?

MyStic

Post by MyStic » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:18 am

thnx for all the input so far ^_^ Which is better for wars, building the base secluded behind a lot of trees and covered with things or in a more open area with more room? The secluded area would make it harder to attack, but would also make it harder for my team to do certain things,while an open base allows for my team to do more and have more room but is easier to attack :blink:

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:11 am

I would opt. for the second. If you have everything you think you will need, you can probably defend for quite a long time in an open area and cover everyplace that needs cover. It isn't a bad idea to create obstacles as well. It will greatly help defend your fort If you placed trip wires and other sorts of traps. Plus, when your enemy is on a temporary cease fire, you can get out of your fort and get any necessary items, repair somethings, ect...

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

george

Post by george » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:53 am

For aquick, easy and very effective base in a wooded area: use a waterproof plastic sheet[it needs to be real big, youll get them at hardware stores], some strong wooden planks,a hammer, some nails and a tree which is real hard to climb. Nail the planks between some branches atleast 3 metres or 10 foot off of the ground, this is your floor. Using the wooden planks to form :) a wall about one metre or one yard tall drape the plastic over it and you have cover from all incoming shots. :P

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:46 pm

I have a big backyard like yours. I've found that the best fort is one of those two level child playhouses. I nailed several pieces of plywood to the sides to make it more defensible. When you make a fort out of cardboard, bales of pinestraw, or stuff like that, it tends to rot and get all nasty eventually. Also when you are on the ground, your enemies can lob waterballoons in your fort until it is filled with mud and quite miserable.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:04 pm

I've found that forts with natural barriers work best. Like one at Waterbridge's park, where thick brier bushes surround the base. The dense briers offer more protection than the walls do, and limit the amount of approaches and how close an enemy can get. A successful fort should have some kind of natural advantages like height or thorns. The best stronghold of my team has no walls or roof of any kind; it is the location that protects it. The base sits on the top of a steep drop off to the brook. Most forts of the Ridgewood Militia rely on height advantage and/or plants for all protection.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Mutton

Post by Mutton » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:49 pm

I used sandbags, they work well and it's costs $5.00 for 20. :Hey, that's funny.: You could also use marker flags (that are usually used to mark irrigation pipes) for team flags!
I'm from Scotland and I like Haggis!

death angel

Post by death angel » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:23 pm

ta-da! I'm back!
Another thing that might work if you have tons of sleds at your disposal (I don't know why you would...): you can use the sleds as bunkers, seeing as they are intended to be waterproof. You can also use sleds as a moving base.
Nintendo DS Forums!
No longer undiscussed!

sogoie

Post by sogoie » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:01 am

all I have to say is make it very hard on the enemy to get into your base, give them a workout hoping over streams and logs and diches, and eliminate cover for the enemy unless you are trying to set them up like if it were the beaches of normandy in WWII