Homeade water gun tutorial

General water gun discussion.
gilad50303

Homeade water gun tutorial

Post by gilad50303 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:09 pm

Is there such a thing on the internet? I wanna make 1.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:23 pm

Yes, there is such a thing as a homemade water gun tutorial. There are many of them, and most of them are at SSC.

Go to the Tech section at the main SSC site (not the Forums) and you'll see a Homemades section. There are numerous articles there, the best and most popular of which is Ben's APH. There are also methods to build other guns; Ben's Leftovers, a CPH, is supposedly at SM, and there are PCgH and spring homemade designs in the forums themselves. Look at the forums, as they are the most updated and resourceful tools around.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:46 pm

Don't forget APR homemades too! I promise I'm working on making articles for them! :p You won't find the latest battle practicality tech on SSC [yet], as it appears not many people other than myself, if anyone else, is working on actually battle practical homemades. I'm also making changes to the APR designs to incorporate ideas that didn't exist when I first made them. I've also made a new type of air pressure homemade based on the Douchenator PC+ inverted T, and a multi-shot of the same design.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:58 pm

You could call my (future) PCgH battle-practical. It's designed for quick and easy pumping and using thin streams (because of no air), making it extremely easy to fight with. You can also increase the air pressure for real sniping or more output/power.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:45 am

As others have said, check out site and forums for instructions. Also be sure to check out our links section which has links to several other homemade water gun guides.
Duxburian wrote:Don't forget APR homemades too! I promise I'm working on making articles for them! :p You won't find the latest battle practicality tech on SSC [yet], as it appears not many people other than myself, if anyone else, is working on actually battle practical homemades. I'm also making changes to the APR designs to incorporate ideas that didn't exist when I first made them. I've also made a new type of air pressure homemade based on the Douchenator PC+ inverted T, and a multi-shot of the same design.
Umm... what changes exactly make your water guns more usable than the rest? The tracked pump with a larger ID? That's the only thing I could consider, despite the fact that the alluminum pumps I have been using never haven't pumped straight. Unless you've made something I can't think of, I think you're at about the same level in practicality.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:57 am

This is an interesting thread, considering gilad50303 probably joined just to ask for a tutorial on homemades. I'm not trying to be overly critical or anything--I just find it strange that there's a whole forum and many articles about this type of thing.

If you want step-by-step and more personal instructions, gilad50303, just say so. Maybe we can turn this thread into a tutorial like that, from making a design to buying the parts to using PVC primer, etc.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:56 am

You know, I might expect that someone would read most of the main site before asking on the forum - unless the forum came higher on a search for some reason - I know I clicked on almost every link on the site before joining.

If you haven't seen the main site, go to the bottom of the forum page - on the bottom bar, click "super soaker central" - on the right of the main site there is a box with a link to the homemade section.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:18 pm

Yes, I loved just going around all the soaker sites. In fact, the only reason I finally was that I couldn't see the picture attached to one thread. I wish I had joined much earlier!

m15399

Post by m15399 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:14 am

When I was new, I started writing a step by step guide to building a Piston Homemade. Know what? It was utterly pointless. I don't need to tell you which joints to glue first and how to glue PVC. I don't think you should need anything more than Ben's APH guide. If you can't figure out how to make it from that, then you are probably just going to hurt yourself.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:21 pm

Actually, a half-hour's worth of looking at SSC is enough to make you an expert on homemades. Even those who, for some reason, decide to skip the articles learn enough from the forums. I just find it funny that somebody would come to the top homemades site on the web and post this. Maybe it was a joke :p !

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:27 pm

I think the only part of the whole site I didn't view before joining the forum was the gallery.

I wouldn't say that the homemade section would make you an expert, but with good knowledge of soaker operation, a few links and a good read of the right articles will give you more than enough to get by.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

m15399

Post by m15399 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:18 pm

Actually, a half-hour's worth of looking at SSC is enough to make you an expert on homemades.
I disagree very strongly. I spent hours and hours reading old homemade topics on here before I even joined. I've been posting for ~6 months and I still don't consider myself an expert. If you invent a new way to make water guns or have made homemades with 3 or 4 different types of technology (some CPH, some APH, etc.), then I would consider you an expert.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:50 pm

@ m15399: Of course I spent hours and hours viewing the site before I joined. You guys wouldn't know that I even existed if I hadn't just wanted to view an attached picture :p .

I'm just saying that you can get a general idea of homemades with three hours. Face it: If you ask how to make a homemade in a new thread, then you will spend weeks or months waiting for a complete set of replies, in contrast with less than a day's worth of viewing old threads. Yes, I know this point wasn't too relevant, but you don't need too much time to know one thousand times more about homemades than your neighbor does.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:50 pm

Knowledge of a water gun's operation is what matters the most. That's what I've seen in my experience anyway. Some people sadly aren't dedicated or smart enough to understand how a water gun works. I've got lots of emails with questions like "Why do you need check valves?" and such. The only explanation to me is a lack of understanding of how a water gun operates.

It would be great if someone could make an effective guide to water gun operation. In fact, I've started several over the years, but I've noticed that my weakness in graphics is what's keeping me from completing one. That's a hint to everyone good with graphics.

Guides and such help some people a lot, but sadly it does appear that the best homemade water gun builders are the ones with the best understanding of how the system operates.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:57 pm

I'd love to make a guide on the inner workings of super soakers, or help to make one. I'm not going to waste time making pretty pictures, but if it is for an official article, I will do my best to make a few clean, clear diagrams.

Yes, the operation of soakers is very important in understanding how to make homemades. I didn't realize it wasn't well-known until I read your post.