Gate valve type thing?

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
aEx155

Gate valve type thing?

Post by aEx155 » Sun May 25, 2008 11:08 pm

Would this work?

Basically, it's a piece of PVC sheet (of something similar) with a hole the same size as the pipe through it. It is then sealed between two pieces of pipe in a box to hold it all together. Push to open, spring return. If it works, would be linear flow. It's like the other "new liner flow valve" somewhere else, but instead of a pipe, it uses sheet.I think I saw something similar on McMaster-Carr, but I'm not sure...

Drenchenator

Re: Gate valve type thing?

Post by Drenchenator » Sun May 25, 2008 11:42 pm

Yes, that should work and would be virtually identical to my "New Linear Flow Valve." The problem would be building it. But with the right planning and preparation it should work.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 26, 2008 12:22 am

Sheets instead of pipes are what "gate valves" use. That's probably what you saw on McMaster-Carr. Unfortunately, most sheets are rather thin and that might explain the lower pressure ratings.

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Mon May 26, 2008 5:28 am

Wow. I'm glad I got my facts right.
SilentGuy wrote:Sheets instead of pipes are what "gate valves" use. That's probably what you saw on McMaster-Carr. Unfortunately, most sheets are rather thin and that might explain the lower pressure ratings.
Well, I meant something like PVC sheet. Maybe lexan probably would work better...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue May 27, 2008 1:10 am

PVC should be plenty adequate. Lexan would just cost more and be clear, which would make telling if the valve was open or closed by looking through it more difficult.

If you could make a valve like this that would be great! Some people have experimented with stuff like this but none have made anything particularly useful yet. I think it deserves more experimentation.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue May 27, 2008 2:07 am

I agree. Give it a try if you want; it may work very well and be another option for a firing valve. My one worked well considering it didn't have any seals and leaked horribly because of it, but it did more or less prove the concept.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Tue May 27, 2008 2:22 am

Darn, someone posted after Ben already...this was supposed to be before Drenchanator's post.

Well, I was hoping to give this idea to SSCentral for someone else to try; I don't really have the resources (money being the main thing ...) "available" (... my dad won't let me have), but I do have the skill as I've done things like this before. If someone got the parts:

x = diameter of trigger section, ex 1/2", 3/4", 1"
  1. x PVC pipe
  2. 2 - x PVC coupler
  3. 2 - x PVC plug
  4. 2 - x diameter o-ring
  5. 1 - 1/4" PVC sheet
  6. 1 - sheet metal to enclose all
  7. 1 - spring
  8. 4 - pairs of small nuts and bolts
  9. Super glue (?)
  10. Silicone sealant (?)
  11. Appropriate drill bits
Then I could help with the assembly (in a way)...I'm not sure whether this is going to become reality, though.