cph splash zooka

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
used man

cph splash zooka

Post by used man » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:07 am

so i have made a goun for school assignment it is a cph splashzooka. it is ergonomically correct(at least i think so) and not heavy at all.

and im still looking for a cool name any suggestions are welcome. its stream lamination is really bad, any ways to fix that??
"dont mess with used man!"-sloganizer.net
thanks to dx for link to website

aEx155

Re: cph splash zooka

Post by aEx155 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:30 am

I take it this is the same gun you asked for help on in that other thread (for the hose clamp); have you gotten it to work?

Questions I have:
How many layers of tubing/which tubing (wall thickness, inner and outer diameters) did you use?
Why didn't you just use a cap for the front half of the PC case like you did the back?
What size piping did you use for the nozzle area? (3/4" would be my best guess)

The usual stats on this gun would be nice. (EX shot time, weight empty/filled, PC capacity, range, output)

For a name, I probably would call it the CPHzooka, but that's just me...

Suggestions:
I would try and use some quick-disconnect fittings rather than the screw-on hose connection you have now, like Dusty did here. If you were to use this in an actual fight, if you didn't have another gun or someone else to defend you, you certainly would get shot while connecting the gun to fill.

Using a cap in the front of the PC case would probably be easier to do than what you did (are those screws holding it in?)

Have you investigated torque arms? Or is your valve easy enough to turn as it is?

And finally, try getting conical nozzles (like this one, which would be perfect for 3/4" or 1")

I'm not sure how badly your stream lamination is (some shot pics would help); it looks like everything should be set since it's just a straight line from PC to nozzle. Things that would help would be getting a larger diameter hose barb leading to the nozzle, making sure that the path (from the PC to the nozzle) is clear of obstructions (check your nozzle, that might be the problem), and possible nozzle types and/or lamination aids (straws, screens, etc.).

... and to the moderators: I would suggest merging this with used man's other thread here (titled "help!!!!"), I believe its the same thing, and both are pretty short anyway.
Last edited by aEx155 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

used man

Post by used man » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:56 am

wow... that is a ton of questions.
Sadly there is only one layer of tubing though i might collosus.
I did use a cap but the 3 inch was to small for the bladder and the 4 inch fits over the old cap
The majority of the pipe is 1/2 inch i had like 10 feet thatmy friend gave me.
Its 10:00 ill get them tomorrow once i collosus it.
I also wanted to get them but there $12.00 here...
My valve is insainly easy to turn.
Finally if you merge the threads keep this ones title please.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:47 pm

The nozzle influences lamination more than anything else. Change your nozzle. Use hose barbs, pipe nipples, whatever, if drilled end caps aren't working out for you.

DiyZooka sounds a little better than CphZooka or HomeZooka. DIY stands for do-it-yourself.

Anyway, good remake! If you build another, I wouldn't leave so much space between each fitting, as the front is a little extended right now. But then again, it's fine unless you actually are doing a side-by-side comparison with the original Splashzooka. Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Merging threads doesn't always end up well when posts are made in both at the same time. The posts are ordered by date, essentially leaving you with two conversation threads popping up. So somebody reading the thread might get a little confused. If you don't mind that, I'll merge the threads. :cool:

used man

Post by used man » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:17 pm

I brought it in to school today and soaked some of my friends while getting extra credit. But the bladder exploded for no apparent reason! I was just running with it and the full bladder was clunking around in side the casing and bang, it exploded. So i will order some more LRT but is there any way to reinforce the bladder, collosus maybe?

CROC

Post by CROC » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:35 pm

There is not a real way to reinforce the LRT, you just have to be careful not to over pump it. Otherwise, you could maybe put some squishy substance around the PVC. so that the LRT does not "clunk around", but instead remains in place.

By the way, I can't see the picture in the first post.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:39 pm

used man wrote:I brought it in to school today and soaked some of my friends while getting extra credit. But the bladder exploded for no apparent reason! I was just running with it and the full bladder was clunking around in side the casing and bang, it exploded. So i will order some more LRT but is there any way to reinforce the bladder, collosus maybe?
Reasons for the bladder popping:

There was something pointy to puncture the bladder.
The bladder was old.
The "clunking" was enough to break the bladder's connection to the hose barb.

As for re-enforcing, the best thing I can think of would be to keep it from moving around too much; if the PC case is too big you could try putting a towel in there. Also, check if there's anything there that would cause some damage (EX: sharp points/edges).

P.S. What kind of project did you have to make this for? I don't know how this would be integrated into any subject except science.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:47 am

The only thing that should cause popping would be something that cuts the tubing. The tubing could have been cut before going into the case or have been cut by the case.

If you take some photos of the stream we might be able to offer some better tips for improving lamination. Check out this page to help that too: http://www.sscentral.org/physics/nozzles.html

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:17 pm

You could have just pumped it up too much and it didn't pop immediately. It also could have been something pointy. What size and kind of pipe did you use for the chamber casing? If it's drain pipe, I know that it can have some likely bumps in it, but I don't know if they could pop it. It could have just ripped at the barb from the movement.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.