Homemade Plans

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Leprechaun71588

Post by Leprechaun71588 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:03 pm

Hey everyone.
After destroying my XP310 while trying to mod it, I decided I was going to salvage what parts I could and build a new and better soaker. I saw the plans for the Air Pressured gun in the homemade section and I decided that I was going to try to build it, with a few adjustments. (The attached image contains the basic plans I made for building the gun.)

The first problem I've run into is that I can't find where to get a 1/2" pvc check valve. I've looked on different sites online, and the only check valve I could find was 2" and ran about $18. Where can I find one, and is it really going to be that expensive?

The other problem I had was building a trigger for the gun. What's the best way to do it? I wanted to use the one from my old XP310, but I already know I"m going to have a few problems attaching it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attachments
Pat__s_watergun.JPG
Pat__s_watergun.JPG (7.6 KiB) Viewed 942 times
AIM: Leprechaun71588
Yahoo: Leprechaun71588

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:09 pm

Your idea woudl not work because of the PC's placement. The PC needs to be vertical, not horizontal. This gun is only air pressure, and air is lighter than water so, the water would not go up intoo the PC as easily as if the PC was more vertical.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:19 pm

If you put a tube in the PC so that the water could feed through it your design would work. It wouldn't work great, but work. I would do like wetmonkey said and make it vertical. I also would recommend making about 2 PCs with 4" long 3" ID PVC pipe. That worked really well for me, 1.5 liters of water.

Also, I wouldn't make it have a barrel like that. All that does is make there more water that never leaves the nozzle, unless you are adding a ball valve as a trigger near the end. Another thing, at most use the nozzle selector from an old gun. I used my 2700's nozzle selector in one homemade. If you are just using one of the nozzles, you'd be better off drilling a hole in an endcap.

Make sure the tee above the one on the pump has the bottom vertical end sealed off. A nickel fits perfectly in a 1/2" ID tee, I would recommend using 3/4" PVC though. You can get a tee with 2 3/4" sides and one 1/2" side that would be perfect for that. I personally would stick with using styrofoam as a separator because you wouldn't have to worry about the seal.

You could make a good trigger out of a ball valve. That's what I've used, the only real problem is that you can't operate it like a real trigger.

You can buy 1/2" ball valves from most home improvement stores. I got 4 of my 6 from Lowes. The other 2 I got from McMaster and they are a little different but work exactly the same, except I got some with threaded ends. McMaster has a large supply, you'll find what you need there if you can't find check valves at home.