Armoured Warfare

General water gun discussion.
captianfear

Armoured Warfare

Post by captianfear » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:01 am

Some of you may have read the isoaker.com article: Armoured Warfare" well this post really got me hooked this previous summer to water guns and nerf as i am an avid fan of milsim.

Well i made some designs for armoured vehicles which all are foot powered and made of plywood. They could be destroyed by either WBL's or Titan rockets. The Drawing here have nerf guns on them with thematic cannons but they can easily be switched to Water Guns.

There are some expensive feature i added that wouldn't really be possible but I added them to enhance people's imagination. Take a Look...

MBT
This is a heavily armoured vehicle designed for combat.
It has a rotating turret and many weapons. It has a side hatch and a large crew

2x Marine Battery
Oxygen Tank
4 Wheels
Foot Powered

Crew or 6:
1x Driver
2x Human Motors
1x Engineer
3x Gunner

Weapons Systems

The main weapon is a 3” Thematic Cannon located on the turret. It fires Lanard Grenades and Nerf Pocket Footballs. It carries 9 of each. It runs off of the oxygen tank.

There are two EBF-25 Vulcans on board, one on the top of the turret and one beside the driver. They each run off of their own marine battery and carry 200 rounds each.

IFV
Foot Powered
2 Marine Batteries
Oxygen Tank
Crew of 4

This Vehicle is extremely effective against infantry in combat provided that there is infantry assistance and protection from Titan anti rockets

Weapons

The Auto Cannon on this vehicle is capable of knocking out lightly armoured vehicles using cardboard as armour

The IFV has an EBF-25 Vulcan, the standard issue of most armoured vehicles

The Engineer on the back has a magstrike with a slot to shoot out of to cover the back or the vehicle

APC
This is a heavily Armoured Vehicle capable of transporting small quantities of troops safely. Back Hatch

Marine Battery
6 Wheels
Foot Powered
Crew of 6
2xDrivers
4xTroops
1xGunner

Weapons Systems
This Vehicle has a Light Armament Compared to other Heavily armoured vehicles as its main purpose is to transport troops. Never the less this vehicle has a top turret with an EBF-25 Vulcan as the main weapon. On the sides of the vehicle there are 4 slots for small arms to fire out off, 2 facing the front and two facing the back. A Titan Can always replace the Vulcan and is kept onboard along with 4 lanard grenades in case of an encounter with armoured vehicles.

HBV
This heavily armoured vehicle is a moving artillery piece. It is capable of raining down heavy fire on the enemy and knocking out other armoured vehicles. It has a side hatch and has an extremely large crew.

3x Marine Battery
2x Oxygen Tank
Heavy Plywood
6 Wheels
Foot powered

Crew of 10:
5x Gunner
1x Driver
2x Human Motors
2x Engineer

Weapons Systems

The Main Weapons of this vehicle are two 3” Thematic Cannons running off of oxygen tanks firing lanard grenades and Nerf Vortexes.

There are three Vulcan's on board to protect the main weapons.

Suggestions?, Flames?

P.S. I did this while isolated at my grandparents house... I was Bored

Hunt_and_Annoy

Re: Armoured Warfare

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:53 pm

Nice job thinking all that up. It would be pretty cool. if you could find enough people to make armour useful. :P Best of luck though

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:13 pm

Flames are indeed likely if you're using a pure oxygen tank to power an air cannon. You should be using ordinary compressed air, or an inert gas like nitrogen.

If you only have person power they'll really struggle on rough ground, perhaps to the point that infantry can just run up and push it over. It'll also make your vehicles rather SLOWER than infantry, whereas in real war vehicles are faster.

Also, I'm not sure how you can make something that's robust enough to not risk falling apart just from moving around, but yet meaningfully vulnerable. It would be rather easy to make something totally waterproof, but that would make for a poor game.

To be honest, a car with people shooting out the windows will probably play more similar to real armoured vehicles. The open windows mean the vehicle isn't completely invincible, and it's rather faster than people on foot. Of course if you can't drive that doesn't work.

If there's suitable water in your area a battleship would be cool. Just get any boat and put a superstructure on.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:46 pm

I would use an oxygen tank and fill it with air using an air compresser, I also may just hook up an air compresser to the gun. I am still planing this project, it'll either make some form of the MBT or IFV or I may make a civil war wbl cannon.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:00 am

Well. At least civil war cannons were really slower than people :P

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:20 pm

Yeah, hahahah, we are building the cannon for the sheer awsomeness of it. We need to find a diffrent store to buy pipe because when i build my first homemade all the fittings had to be metal so it costed 60 bucks for a medium performance. We will use bike wheels and i have enough wood to build a carridge. I will be using a latch system to change the angle of the barrel.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:33 pm

So something a bit like this, except for a water gun?
That could work rather well - I had a similar though myself walking home earlier today. Not being carried means it can be larger and heavier than infantry weapons, but being moveable by a person makes it still agile enough.
Bike wheels are a good choice. With them, and a metal frame, and a much lighter gun than a real cannon, it should be easy to handle by one person.

Is this to fire water or water bombs? Bombs will go further but likely be more complicated. An engine and pump would make a cheap water cannon, though the likely output might be high enough to require a seperate tender for any decent shot length. (Basically imagine Supercannon II power, continuously.)
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:52 pm

It will be a water ballon launcher. I will use bike wheels as said earlier, but I will not use an axis, just two nubs for bike wheels. These nubs will attach to either side of a 1m long 2 by 2 board. On top of this will be a board which has a angled board attached to it. I am working on a system to angle the cannon using a latch, a clemintine box and some wood.
I am working on a CAD of this. Now I come to the part where I ask for assistance. If any of you have any Ideas of how I can change the angle of my cannon with a system that can be build mainly from wood can I please have your insight. I know how the real cannon's worked and their idea worked well. Now do any of you have any ideas about how I can mount nubs like on real cannons that allow for changing the angle of the cannon. Lastly, about my tank does anyone have any suggestions for making a manually roated turret.
Thanks

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:20 pm

Changing the angle of the cannon should be simple. Fix nubs to the barrel - given the light weight glue should be sufficient. Ideally they should be near the center of gravity when it's loaded. The nubs go into notches or holes in some vertical wood pieces.

To hold it at an angle you just need something fixed to the carriage and blocking the barrel from swinging. A simple method would be a series of holes drilled into vertical wood panels, with a dowel to thrust through them to set the angle. This won't give fine control though, but it should be adequate. You only need one set, since you give the cannon a slight imbalance that pushes it against the dowel.

As for a turret - circular turret with wheels on the bottom that run in a track on the top of the tank hull. Simple and easy to move, capable of bearing the weight of the gun if built robustly enough, but risks coming off, and likely has a gap that will need to be blocked.
Arsenal:

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:36 pm

I understand your idea for the elevation. I belive I will use nubs but I am unsure if the epoxy would hold my nubs. For nubs if I attached a flat surface to an endcap and glued that to the barrel that would work. This also solves my problem of attaching the wbl to the carridge. I am on my laptop so I cannot accsess my carride CAD but it is complete. My Idea to change the angle would be to have a hole in the carridge and I have a board with a U cut out on the top to hold the barrel. The Board would go through the hole and have holes in the side so it can be secured with a latch at diffrent elevations. I don't quite understand your turret design. The turret on my tank will have a hole for a cps cannon to be mounted to and the gunners head will be in it. If you have time for a diagram it would be greatly apprecitated
thanks
Ps: I finished the cad for my tank, up soon

As Promised I Have 3 CAD's of my tank (without a turret design), the tank wood frame (to be covered in cardboard) and my cannon carridge design.

Also if you want bigger pictures just follow this link to the album http://s692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... nonwbl.jpg
Last edited by captianfear on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:20 am

I posted the cads on the edit so i will post again so they are more noticeable.

captianfear

Cannons

Post by captianfear » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:13 am

I have decided that if I am going to go through the trouble of building a cannon carridge I should build a huge cannon of 4" or more. Its barrel would be four feet and have a 2 foot pressure chamber. I will also build a douchenator made of 3" with a 2 foot pc and a 3 foot barrel that I will make a mortar stand for.