looking for kids gun to mod

General water gun discussion.
mprhead5

looking for kids gun to mod

Post by mprhead5 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:03 am

there are several children on my street. 3 boys and our 2 girls. they have been having fun playing with squirt guns. as is my personality quirk I must now find the perfect squirt gun/guns for my 2 little ones to lay destruction upon those boys. I'm looking to find something light enough for a 6-8 year old to wield but that can be modded to impressive levels of performance.

I looked around a bit and noticed that most the talk on the boards is about older guns not the newer stuff you can buy at target or toysRus. are the newer guns not as good/powerful? or are they harder to modify? I remember super soaker 50's and 30' that we used to have but I'm sure things have changed since the late 80's

in short what would be 1 or 2 great guns to get and tinker with that won't be too much for a child to wield?

new or used doesn't matter but being able to drive to the toy store and pick one up is a plus.

mprhead5

Re: looking for kids gun to mod

Post by mprhead5 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:19 pm

I have been looking at either cps 1000/1200 or one of the newer flashflood models

I figure the older cps would be cooler and maybe easier to mod but the flsh floods would be easier to find since they might still be available in stores

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:25 pm

Generally the current range from Super Soaker are not particularly good. The Flash Flood however _is_ a very good gun for its size, though outdone by bigger stuff. I've heard of success with modding.

The best current blasters are the larger Water Warriors - Expedition, Vindicator, PulseMaster. But they're probably too large for children that young, whereas the Flash Flood should be manageable.

I would be careful with modifying guns you're going to give to children. Some modifications can be dangerous, and if someone else's child gets injured you're liable to be sued and maybe even prosecuted.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

mprhead5

Post by mprhead5 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:40 pm

we I went to toysrus and walmart today and apparently its back to school season an no longer can you find soakers anywhere. Luckily I'm in the military and the BX is always 2 months behind the times so I went there and they had a fair selection of super soakers. they had the xp70, SS50 anniversary edition, bottle shot, and flash flood. I picked up one flash flood for starters but i may go back for more guns. so all the kids can have one.

are any of those others any good? I remember the good old SS50. can you modify the air tank to become a CPS by using a balloon inside the air chamber? would it be worth it?

The XP70 looked ok too but the flash flood was definalty the upper range gun so I may go back for a 2nd one.

mprhead5

Post by mprhead5 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:32 am

so I teeok the flash flood home to the kids and let them play with it a little. unfourtunatly it was too hard for the girls to pump up. one of them could almost do it but alas they could never be effective warriors with this weapon. At least not this season. I guess the flash flood will be my toy to mod.

that leaves me still needing 2 blasters for the girls. they have the 20th anaversary ss50 and the Xp70 there. they also have the aquashock but that dosn't look like a winner.

maybe I'll check the BX at the base i'm going to tommarow to see if they have others.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:08 pm

There's no way to convert a gun like the SS50 into a CPS. What you're describing is called the 'XPS mod', and is only possible with guns that have a separate pressure chamber and reservoir.

(To find out which a gun is if you're unsure: Pump it then open the reservoir cap. If you hear the hiss of escaping air, it's a pressurised reservoir. If you don't, and then the gun can shoot with the reservoir cap off, it's a separate pressure chamber.)
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

mprhead5

Post by mprhead5 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:22 pm

well they have xp70's at the BX. those have a seperate pressure chamber and are probably only 15 bucks a peice so I'll check them out.

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:33 pm

I would advise getting 2 of each the XP 70 and the SS50. They'll hold up in battle and should be manageable by kids those ages. Don't bother modding as there is little you can do; if the boys only have squirt pistols your kids will crush them with the 50 and the 70.
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

mprhead5

Post by mprhead5 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:37 pm

just might do that. the 50s wherer 12.50 a peice and I don't know what the xp70s where.

speaking of prices I noticed that online the prices of the flash flood where more than I paid. is this because the season ended? should I buy out all the flash floods and sell em on ebay in a few months for a tidy profit?

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:40 pm

Nobody buys those Flash Floods. There's one user who sells them at ridiculous prices all year and nobody buys them because they know you can get them in stores. My local Canadian Tire still sells soakers.

As for the 70 and the 50, go ahead, your kids will love them and they'll be able to beat the neighbours.
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:33 pm

It doesn't make sense to stress about power...I'm sure your girls couldn't care less. Host a block party and get some other parents involved if you want to try out the Flash Flood yourself. :cool:

Just curious, which water guns or squirt guns do all the other kids use?