Arctic Blast internals

General water gun discussion.
SSCBen

Arctic Blast internals

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:17 pm

I bought an Arctic Blast and took it apart. The Arctic Blast is very similar to the Flash Flood, but they changed a few things up. I do like the new color scheme and new look much better than the nasty green or orange of the older Flash Flood. There's a few other differences such as the larger cap for water (to let ice in), but they're minor. I think the color scheme is the biggest improvement.

While I have never opened up the Flash Flood and am unsure if the Flash Flood has something similar, on the Arctic Blast the pump cap is not glued on or simply put on. It is kept on with two screws, and sliding the cap off reveals another screw. That took me a while to figure out!

It also appears that PRVD is easier than ever in the Arctic Blast. No cutting is necessary. Check out DSCN0014.JPG in the directory I linked to. All you should have to do is remove the screw and fill in the hole with a strong bonding glue. Nothing else is necessary. This makes me wonder if Hasbro themselves have designed this gun to be modified.

I am considering four simple modifications at the moment:

- PC expansion
- light Colossus
- pump expansion
- addition of a nozzle selector on both nozzles

The pump expansion should be the hardest to perform modification, but it never was done before and I feel it is necessary here. The Arctic Blast's pump is about half a foot long. That is far too short for people like me. I am going to replace the shaft with a PVC one and attach the pump seals to a metal rod to get a larger pump. Should be a very useful modification that was never seen before.

:)

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:43 pm

Unfortunately, this is so far the best FF internals pic I got when I opened up mine:

http://img268.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 7r4qh4.jpg

The layout is pretty similar with the usual random differences (such as the metal rod piece of the trigger being below the valve instead of above), and the tubing towards the PC goes through the main handle instead of that area.

I may be wrong, but it looks like they tried to make this one's triggers more durable since the FF's get problems very easily.

Kalogagatya

Post by Kalogagatya » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:27 pm

hmm.. the overall construction seems a lot better than the FF.. are all 2007 models this well built?

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:56 pm

Nice pictures! Didn't know you were still into modding, but we need an expert hand now and then :D .

It sounds like the Arctic Blast isn't half bad, but perhaps it's just a more optimistic attitude. Nice list of modifications by the way...performance should be quite nice afterwards.

It's interesting that they had all the space in the middle and made the blaster so chunky. I would have extended the PC into that space and routed the pump-area tubing through the grip.

Anyway, good luck with the mods! Will you also be replacing the tiny pump grip with a larger one?