Take Apart Flash Flood? PLEASE HELP!!

Threads about water gun modifications.
TheDark

Take Apart Flash Flood? PLEASE HELP!! EDIT: BROKEN!!

Post by TheDark » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:03 pm

I unscrewed all of the screws in my FF, but there's a piece near the pump handle that (I think)
is either glued or screwed in from inside. How can I get it off?? Please help!

Sorry about all of the new threads, but I really need help!
Last edited by TheDark on Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broken

martianshark

Re: Take Apart Flash Flood? PLEASE HELP!!

Post by martianshark » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:25 pm

It's glued, so it can be hard to open up. Try reading the pump cap section of this guide: http://www.sscentral.org/repairs/opening.html You usually can't get it off while keeping it intact.

TheDark

Post by TheDark » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:26 pm

Couldn't get the stupid pump cap off. I'm done. Sorry I wasted all of your time.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Eh, it's fine. You probably wouldn't want to take the pump cap off anyway, because now that my friend did, his pump will not work to create pressure.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:45 am

Removing the pump cap has no effect on how the pump operates (all it does is keep the rod inline) so obviously your friend did something wrong.

While the FF remains by far one of the most annoying water guns to open up, it can still be done. Get a sharp flathead screwdriver and a hammer and use that to cut a line along the plane where the case splits apart. Do this before removing any screws if possible. (It doesn't actually matter, you just don't want to lose screws.)

Don't split the cap apart completely, just try to get it loose. After that, use flathead screwdrivers to pry it off.

Removing such pump caps is common on water guns so it's best that you learn how to do it here first. The second point of trouble with opening the FF is the flood trigger. That needs to be pulled off forcefully.

Of course, you may not want to open up the water gun unless there's something wrong with it. If there is something wrong, chances are that it's one or both of the triggers. You can fix snapped springs with new extension springs if you can find some that are the right size, or you can use rubber bands. If the spring is intact, chances are that you just need to lubricate the valve and it'll work fine again. Use a silicone based lube that's safe for metal, plastics, and rubber. Disassemble the Max-D trigger system on the flood valve, apply the lube, and roll the valve around to spread it. It's also possible that you don't even need to roll the valve around to lube it, which in that case you don't need to open up the blaster either.

TheDark

Post by TheDark » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:53 am

Well, now there is something wrong. I tested it after I screwed everything back in and it worked perfectly. I just tried again and got one unusually large riot blast in. Now, when I pump it, water just comes out of the riot nozzle. It's really annoying me, and it looks like I wasted $20. However, when I was putting it back together, there was an extra screw. Yes, all of the places I can find to put screws have them, including under the riot trigger. PLEASE HELP!

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:47 am

Obviously you missed a screw. You'll have to look very, very carefully to find where it goes. Sometimes it seems like there's a screw in there, but there really isn't.

TheDark

Post by TheDark » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:37 am

I opened it up (as much as I could) again. Sorry about the screw thing, I found where it goes. The spring that's kind of below the main nozzle looks fine. Water still comes out the flood when you pump though.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:01 am

Is the spring on the flood trigger intact? If not, you need some rubber bands to close the valve. Otherwise, the valve is simply having trouble closing; apply silicone lubrication as I mentioned earlier.

You still wasted $20. I got mine on sale. =p

TheDark

Post by TheDark » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:37 pm

Where on the gun is the flood spring, and where would I need to apply the lube? I don't want to open it up for a third time right now, some of the screws are already stripped.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Be more careful getting the screws out. Unless rusted, screw heads tend to get stripped due to carelessness. (I've done it myself several times; it's quite annoying.)

The spring is close to the actual valve, located on the Max-D trigger assembly. (Flash Flood internals) If it's working fine, then just put lubrication inside the flood valve directly. You'll have to remove the screen first which can be done with a screwdriver. Just remove it cleanly and don't let debris fall into the pressure chamber. After that, disassemble the Max-D mechanism so you can move the valve more easily to spread the lube (though this may not be necessary), and apply it. After working with this a second time, I think spray based silicone may work better than silicone grease, it depends.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:21 pm

Another thing to watch out for, when reassembling a water gun, is the trigger levers themselves. Naturally, levers require an axle to rotate about; this will probably be a metal pin that fits into matching holes in both halves of the case. You might not have aligned pin and top hole when putting the top half of the case back on - although this might be different for the Flash Flood valve.

Or you might have lost a spring, or not aligned it into its slot correctly.